GTA2 Game Hunter Ben Millard Edition (obsolete)

Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

GTA2 Game Hunter Ben Millard Edition (obsolete)

Post by Sektor »

edit: Most of the changes in GHBM have been moved over to the latest official version of GH and GHBM won't connect to GH servers anymore.

I gave Ben Millard the source code to GTA2GH v1.491 since he requested it, I trust him, he has been helping the GTA community for years and I knew he had some VB6 experience from his projects like TextStudio. I will release the GH source code to the public one day.
B-$hep
Immortal
GH nick: B-Shep

Re: GTA2 Game Hunter Ben Millard Edition

Post by B-$hep »

Sektor wrote:I would like to release it to everyone when I am no longer regularly working on the project and I have made the code a bit more usable.
Let me know whenever this day arrives.
Always wear safety glasses while programming.
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Post by BenMillard »

I am monitoring this thread for feedback about GHBM. I'm also monitoring What do you want from Game Hunter. So there's no need to make the same suggestions twice.

Screenshots of apps which already do what you want are helpful. If what you want is new or different, making a picture is helpful. They say "a picture speaks a thousand words". If it's really messy, it will still speak 100 words!

You can base any mockups on my pictures of GHBM. Or take your own screenshots and work from that.

If I initially disagree with you, don't worry. Keeping bad ideas out is as important as putting good ideas in. I might change my mind at any time, too. ;)
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Post by Sektor »

I noticed a minor bug in GHBM 3rd July 2009. If you click the game or player list, while you are signed out, it will display an error.

It can easily be fixed with this:

If .ListItems.count = 0 Then Exit Sub 'if the list is empty then no point trying to read the selected item
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Oh yeah, I fixed that the next day. Haven't released a new version yet!

(EDIT) Am E-mailing a new version to all testers after some updates from Sektor.
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

I would like to release this publicly. Not just as an e-mail attachment for anyone who asks for it; a free-for-all download link.

It would remain an unofficial branch of the Game Hunter project. I don't expect a link to it from the official Game Hunter page. But I would like an easier way for players to experience the usability improvements Sektor and I made. Players are still using 1.491 with FixedSys, oversized columns, oodles of unnecessary messages and a terribly congested Settings window!

Sektor and I agreed early on that GH should be getting incremental, public updates in parallel to the grand new developments for the next major version. But this hasn't really happened: GHBM is neither really public nor really released. So I would like it to be publicly released.
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

It finally happened! GHBM is available for public download now that Sektor has given me permission.

Click for bigger image (640x480)

GHBM doesn't replace the official Game Hunter, which is version 1.491 at the moment. GHBM lacks a lot of of the cool new stuff in GH 1.5 betas but that requires you use a new beta version of gta2.exe.

GHBM still supports GTA2 9.6, 9.6F, 10.3 and 10.5 and you can play against current GH 1.491 users. You try it without installing over your GH 1.491 or GH 1.5 installs, too. Some of the GH 1.5 features, refinements and simplifications were pioneered in GHBM. So it's quite a step forward from the 1.4x era.