GTA2 Game Hunter

BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Re: GTA2 Game Hunter

Post by BenMillard »

Yeah, it felt like a reset was needed after each search - good that you've figured out the specifics.

Breaking the alignment is an adequate "temporary solution". A fixed size for the password is quite sensible as passwords tend to be short but level descriptions might be long. Then again, only the first 1-5 letters are usually needed to find a specific level. If you're searching for a special variant, you can search for the name of the variant - such as "zt" for "Zooka Arena ZT Edition".

So in the long term, re-writing the layout code to ensure an alignment when the window is wide enough would be the way to go. We could centralise it into Form_Resize() - that would calculate Single variables for most things and retrieve Single variables from other functions, to keep it modularise. It would then apply a Select Case or something to understand which sizing solution will work best for the current window size + preview image size + maps list first column. It would then apply that to the controls using the .Move() method, minimising the redraw time and avoiding common causes of flicker.

Quite a lot of annoying, fiddly work to do that. So I fully agree with a temporary sizing solution.
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Post by Sektor »

I was hoping you wouldn't read that comment about breaking the alignment before I deleted it. It was written in frustration but now I just wrote a small bit of code that hides the image if you make it too narrow for the password box to fit.

I'm going to add a combo box to filter by player count since unique prevents you from launching GTA2 with a player count larger than 2 in most cases.
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

A future version of GH can automatically remove the need for PlayerCount lines, using the logic you proposed earlier. The GUI should aim towards that future, so no combobox, imho.

It's easy to adjust the number of players once in Network GTA2. In fact, that's what normally happens (in EU, at least). More or fewer players join than the host expected.

Making it easy to pick a level and move on to Network GTA2 is what makes the Create Game window useful.
Last edited by BenMillard on 15 Nov 2010, 20:46, edited 1 time in total.
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

2010-11-16 v1.516
- "Find This Map" now correctly shows all the matching maps
- Added a drop-down list for filtering maps based on player count (defaults to only showing 2 player maps)
- Country is only redetected on startup if your IP has changed from last run
- Changed country detection site back to http://geoloc.daiguo.com/?self
- Fixed some display issues with the Create Game form
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

2010-11-16 v1.517
- Fixed a bug that displayed every map twice in the Create Game map list unless you clicked refresh
- Changed tabbing order on Create Game form

My "unique" list still included a lot of duplicates (any map that used a different SCR file for each player count). My duplicate check only checked if the previously added map was the same as the next. I'd have to search the full list each time I add to it for a more accurate check (I will have to code it sometime). There are lots of ways I could improve the unique list but it was easier to let the user filter by PlayerCount and that makes the list even smaller, so finding the map you want by eye should be quicker.

The create game tabbing order was better in older versions. I'll change it back next update.

I filter some characters out if you are using the FixedSys font since they changed the bolding. I'm not sure if it will break some non english languages even more than they were already broken.

If strFontName = "FixedSys" Then
strMsg = Replace$(strMsg, Chr$(133), vbNullString) '…
strMsg = Replace$(strMsg, Chr$(135), vbNullString) '‡
strMsg = Replace$(strMsg, Chr$(155), vbNullString) '›
strMsg = Replace$(strMsg, Chr$(196), vbNullString) 'Ä
End If
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Post by elypter »

i was running game hunter under linux and discovered a strange behavior:

when i go on tools>gta2 manager it runs gta2 and not the manager
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

Do you have a file named gta2 manager.exe in that folder? In older versions of the Vike's update, its named manager-hkcu.exe.
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

yes, the file exists and now i have a clue why this happens:
when the space is ignored "gta2 manager" turns into "gta2". So i think under wine the space is handled somehow differently.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

I think the first message should show GH with the standard theme in XP or Windows 7, as that's the most "normal" appearence of it. The themed screenshot could also be present. Maybe show Create Game and Settings, too.
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

does gh support command line arguments to start with the create game window only like the independent gta2launcher exe does?
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

Which gta2launcher are you talking about?

GH assumes all command line arguments are a hostname, writes them to the GTA2 registry section, runs GTA2 and exits.
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

i meant this one: http://gtamp.com/GTA2/gta2launcher.rar
but it isn't up to date anymore. That would be nice for lan games.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

GTA2 Launcher crashes if there are any MMP files that don't have the default layout. I'll rip out the latest code from GH for it sometime.
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Create Game should start by selecting the level you played last time. This doesn't happen if you used the Find feature to select it, at the moment.
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

It's suppose to select the last level that you hosted with using GH and it does that in my tests. It might not be the same as the last played level since you can change that in GTA2. If most people change the map a lot after hosting then last played could be selected instead. The current alpha remembers your last search but that could be confusing to new players.

You can type /c to start on the last played level.
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Sektor wrote:It's suppose to select the last level that you hosted with using GH and it does that in my tests.
This is the feature which I meant wasn't working when I host a level from the results of a search. The search only had 1 result and I didn't physically click the list, just hit Return when only my desired level remained.
Sektor wrote:[...] last played could be selected instead.
Actually, that's probably better for everyone. That way the level I just played is selected in my list.

(The current situation may select of a level I didn't just play. That confusion is only solved if I can remember the other players didn't like my original choice of level. Which isn't convenient or likely after a 25-frag or 20-minute game.)
Sektor wrote:The current alpha remembers your last search but that could be confusing to new players.
Yeah, it shouldn't remember the search, just the selected map.
Sektor wrote:You can type /c to start on the last played level.
Maybe Ctrl+Click on the Create Game button should do that, too? (Microsoft do that in Outlook to access the folder which relates to Signatures and Stationery instead of clicking the button normally. So there's a slight precedent for it.)
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

I looked at the code and it already selects the last played map unless its a different player count to your last selected player count in the GH combo box. I could look for the closest matching map (one with a different player count) or change the player count filter when you select a different map in GTA2.

Can you explain how to recreate the result you are getting, expected result, what you are searching for etc?
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

v1.518 released:

- "If your ports are closed" message is only displayed if gateway IP starts with 192.168 or 10. (I know there are other reserved ranges).
- If your first alert word is detected then the GH systray icon is changed
- Added Always in tray, Start in tray and Close to tray settings
- Added run at startup option to settings (Adds GH to HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\gta2gh.exe and starts in systray)
- Added highlight alert words option to settings and view menu
- Added timestamp messages checkbox to settings
- Added alt+letter keyboard shortcuts to most settings
- Fixed "Unable to unload within this context" error if you pushed enter or alt+c very quickly after clicking Create Game
- You can switch between "Find This Game" and the map list by pushing tab and shift+tab
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

could you add a /j command which make you join your own game? that could be useful for testing. eg: when you want to test a multiplayer map with sync checks or when someone has problems with hosting.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

You can just run gta2 manager and click start network game or make a shortcut to gta2.exe -j on your desktop or leave cmd open in the GTA2 folder all the time like I usually do.