GTA2 Game Hunter - ideas and suggestions

Cuban-Pete
Immortal
GH nick: Cuban-Pete

Re: GTA2 Game Hunter - ideas and suggestions

Post by Cuban-Pete »

About the download function in gh. Do you do anything on safety? Like making sure no virus is downloaded or that people could exploit it and install bad software?
"Mmmm, your eyes are so beautiful."
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Post by Sektor »

GH doesn't run any executable file contained in the 7z it downloads, it just extracts it to gta2\data\. The worst someone could do is overwrite your GTA2 data files but they could only do that if they gain write access to one of the allowed sites or use a man in the middle attack (eg. you connect to a rogue wireless access point or use an untrusted LAN to connect to the internet). It's no more risky than downloading with your browser from a regular site (one that doesn't use SSL).
Pyro
Immortal
GH nick: Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Is it possible for GH to 'remember' what settings you had in GTA2 Power Manager? The amount of times I've closed GH then some time later played GTA2 again (using GTA2 Manager, not GH) it un-ticks the "Skip Frontend". :shock:
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

It unticks skip frontend so that noobs don't get stuck not being able to play singleplayer.
CarThief
Hitman
Hitman
GH nick: CarThief

Post by CarThief »

Its a relatively small pet peeve, but it would be nice if users inactive for over an hour or so would be marked as either 'AFK'(Away From Keyboard), or simply 'Away', though this doesnt have to apply to bots (its fairly common for people in the lobby to be this quiet).
Speaking of, is it possible to manipulate the message displayed there for bot owners or users presumed to be a bot by the GH to display 'Bot' or something similar where Away, GTA2 or the likes is represented?

Should make it more obvious to new users what is a human being and what isnt. And to find any active people in the masses of AFKers.
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

- Auto set away if no activity

It's already on the todo list but since there is interest, I'll move it up in priority and take your notes into consideration. Thank you for your input. Have a nice day!
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Post by BenMillard »

Auto away could be set after a 1 minute timer of no focus on GH, or 10 minute timer of no input into GH.

Auto away would be unset by returning focus to GH or any input into GH (respectively).

Ideally, user should be set away before computers turns off screens or goes to screensaver.

Ideally, user should be logged out just before computer sleeps. (You get a connection failed first time you type after the computer resumes, then GH automatically rejoins. If you don't type, there's no obvious way to see you timed out.)
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Along similar lines and perhaps more popular would be an "Idle" status.

The /wi command gives a "user has been idle for" time. Maybe that heuristic could trigger an "Idle" status after, say 5 minutes?

(EDIT) Looking at that to-do list, these tasks would be within my ability to mess up:
  1. Adjust topic height to fit all text.
    Ben: Easy, although might use a maximum of 3 lines and prevent chat history becoming 0 height.
  2. Combine the Sign In and Sign Out buttons.
    Ben: Already started groundwork for that. Lots of niche situations to check for. Could be implemented in stages.
  3. Change country list from a combobox to listview so it supports multi select and resizing.
    Ben: I can make Options window resizeable again.
  4. Change speaker icon to play icon.
    Ben: Easy for either of us to steal from Windows.
  5. Make it so you can join a game by single clicking even when GH doesn't have focus.
    Ben: Same changes as Players list.
(EDIT2) I see you're looking at all new engines and GUIs for the lobby. GH has so many convenience features, as well as being fairly conventional and neat. Would be a shame to lose a lot of that.

Then again, it might bring in a lot more old-school gamers who forgot or never tried GTA2 online.
Last edited by BenMillard on 27 Jul 2012, 14:10, edited 1 time in total.
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

Those changes sound good.

Most of the URLs in the todo list are just so I don't forget them. If they link to a lobby it is only because it has some interesting VPN/directplay information that I might eventually use to work around port forwarding issues (don't hold your breath).
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

The main form from that code says Game Hunter 1.539 but I made the change and sent to you. '''BenMillard''' marks the 2 areas I changed:
  1. A few lines in Form_Resize for frmGH.
  2. A couple of lines in rtbTopic_Change.
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

That link is 1.548. I haven't received any email or private message.
Alberto
Hitman
Hitman
GH nick: Raef/ RaefGH

Post by Alberto »

Razor wrote:Leave the note: The possibility of leaving messages for absent players.

eg:

/leave "nickname" "msg"

/leave _L_Mati Remember about the script.

When you are absent and Mati has join one of the bots sends to him the message: Hi _L_Mati _L_Razor left a message to you (10/may/2009 17:35): "Remember about the script."

Can be? :)
Razor Use memoserv it makes the job. Open Your IRC Client/gta2gh And Type /memoserv Help
You can send a memo to the user you select, and when this "user" joins he will find a NOTICE from memoserv telling him you sent something
The fuck you looking at?
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Post by elypter »

13:00:06 /msg NickServ HELP REGISTER for more information.
13:00:24 You must be in the same channel as NickServ to send them a message.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Alberto
Hitman
Hitman
GH nick: Raef/ RaefGH

Post by Alberto »

Elypter, type /ns register... instead of /msg nickserv...
The fuck you looking at?
Nightstalker
Car Jacker
Car Jacker
GH nick: Nightstalker

Post by Nightstalker »

Is it possible to remove port forwarding in order to connect to other players?
Logofero
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Post by Logofero »

I've got a suggestion:
  • 1. Add the startup session when re-entering the client.
    Example: A player from GM but then comes the whole text of the session in the last 30 minutes are loaded into the chat. Ouit and go to enter, but the chat is lost - load last Session agreed to this problem. (Better to do optional)

2. Make a dialogue before the creation of the PM channel. You should see a question or notice: "You want to write a PM NAME? Or will create a PM channel MYNAME to NAME". I keep accidentally click on the nick and I create a new channel, and I do not need it. PS: I have seen a better solution from the chat PM in GTADS (This course is individual)
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

1. I don't own the server and I don't have a bot in there logging the chat, so I can't do that yet. I would like to do a web/https based GH instead of IRC based, that would allow showing offline chat.
2. You can close those PM tabs by clicking the x in the bottom right or pushing ctrl+w. I think a dialogue box would be more annoying. There's no reason to click near those names unless you want to PM.
Logofero
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Post by Logofero »

Sektor wrote: 2. You can close those PM tabs by clicking the x in the bottom right or pushing ctrl+w. I think a dialogue box would be more annoying. There's no reason to click near those names unless you want to PM.
PM window is not necessary to make out, but before the creation of the new channel is better to ask whether or not it is needed, new tab, the common man does not see them (as is me)