GTA2 Hackers Remix (SPLITSCREEN MOD!) in development

Anything to do with GTA1/GTA2 modding (tools, scripts and more).
robotanarchy
Car Jacker
Car Jacker
GH nick: robotanarchy

Re: GTA2 Hackers Remix (SPLITSCREEN MOD!) in development

Post by robotanarchy »

nice :mrgreen:
GTA2 Hacker's Remix ...also check out my blog!
robotanarchy
Car Jacker
Car Jacker

Post by robotanarchy »

Here's a new screenshot of how the splitscreen setup looks currently like in the new menu: Screenshot!

I've decided to put the preview of the split screen layout on the top right, because there was some free space anyway. It works all the way from parsing the config file (rewritten that part in C, much better than in AutoIt3) to automatically rendering that preview :)

How do you guys like it, do you have any suggestions?
Cuban-Pete
Immortal
GH nick: Cuban-Pete

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Looks nice.

Are you gonna use the whole left side (where the girl now is) for map preview?

Also, if you are gonna use the girl, make sure the background color of the image is black. It's now purple. You can fix that by using the Colors>Levels and using the black pipette on the background (in Gimp).
"Mmmm, your eyes are so beautiful."
robotanarchy
Car Jacker
Car Jacker

Post by robotanarchy »

Yes, I'd like to use the whole left side for the map preview.

In the first approach, I've had a black background, but I didn't like it as much. The GTA2 pictures aren't photos that have a transition to the black background.
They all have this "hard cut line" (because of different colors, so you can see where the photo ends) and I wanted to recreate that.
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Here is a test for Face Off. Which perspective do you prefer?

How many maps will I eventually have to do? :roll:
Perhaps you can convince TM to add Ambient Occlusion to the Map Editor so stuff can get automated.
gta2_MP_render1.png
gta2_MP_render1.png (296.81 KiB) Viewed 41132 times
gta2_MP_render1b.png
gta2_MP_render1b.png (289.57 KiB) Viewed 41132 times
robotanarchy
Car Jacker
Car Jacker

Post by robotanarchy »

Cuban-Pete wrote:Here is a test for Face Off. Which perspective do you prefer?

How many maps will I eventually have to do? :roll:
Perhaps you can convince TM to add Ambient Occlusion to the Map Editor so stuff can get automated.
Nice! I like the second perspective a bit more (but the first one is also looking good)! Would there be a way to make it look more like at night?

How much work is it, to make one map (is there a tutorial maybe, so I can get an idea)?

I've imagined that we would have those previews for all maps installed (=> at least for the default maps). But if you say that it is too much, we'll need to find a different way.

I'll write T.M. a message with a link to this thread. (EDIT: done!)

Thanks for your work on this :)

EDIT2: I think there's aliasing in the renders - maybe you can render at a much higher resolution and scale it down then? That should fix it.
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Post by Sektor »

The default multiplayer maps aren't played that much, at least not by most of the old Game Hunter players but I still love some Hidden Surprise. That's why it seems only having previews for the default maps just won't be enough but manually creating images for all maps would be too much work, so it would have to be automated. Just default map previews is certainly better than nothing.

Is your frontend only going to support splitscreen multiplayer or will you also support online?
robotanarchy
Car Jacker
Car Jacker

Post by robotanarchy »

Sektor wrote:That's why it seems only having previews for the default maps just won't be enough but manually creating images for all maps would be too much work, so it would have to be automated. Just default map previews is certainly better than nothing.
I agree with that.
Sektor wrote:Is your frontend only going to support splitscreen multiplayer or will you also support online?
The next release certainly will only have splitscreen support (integrating an online mode would slow the release cycle down even further). Whenever that version is out, maybe we can discuss if or how to integrate an online mode. Although I don't really use it (yes, getting my mod working is actually more fun to me than playing the game :p), I like all the features that the game hunter has and maybe we can find a good way to combine it with my mod then.

To be honest, I'd like to make the whole TCP/UDP wrapper thing then, so that no port forwarding is necessary (UDP hole punching). This has already been discussed in the forums, but it hasn't been done yet.
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

Splitscreen is cool but its really niche for an already niche game although at least it will allow people to play locally who can't figure out how to forward ports. Eliminating port forwarding issues is a dream, it would allow so many more players. It's just out of my ability for now.

Even without splitscreen/online multiplayer, the full controller support and improved frontend will be great for singleplayer and essential for that arcade machine setup you showed. When this mod is complete, I will try to get GTA2 setup at some video game bars in Australia. Unfortunately GTA2 requires more buttons than most arcade machines have, so a controller seems like the only practical way.
robotanarchy
Car Jacker
Car Jacker

Post by robotanarchy »

Sektor wrote:When this mod is complete, I will try to get GTA2 setup at some video game bars in Australia. Unfortunately GTA2 requires more buttons than most arcade machines have, so a controller seems like the only practical way.
Wow.......... I really didn't expect that! :shock: :o :shock: Awesome :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

Hehe I'm just going to ask, I have no power or influence. They might not want to. It would also be funny to setup a booth at PAX or some convention but that usually costs money.

There are a few gaming bars in Australia. I've been to Manabar, Betabar and Bartronica. They don't have much space, so it would need to be a multiple purpose machine.
robotanarchy
Car Jacker
Car Jacker

Post by robotanarchy »

Cuban-Pete wrote:Perhaps you can convince TM to add Ambient Occlusion to the Map Editor so stuff can get automated.
I did that and he said, it's too complex. Also:
T.M. wrote:I could add 3d-model export feature in the commandline tool though, that might fasten things up for you. But as i said, currently my time is very limited, and i dont have time to add these features yet. That said, its probably faster for you if you open and save those maps 3d-models manually in the Epic GTA2 Map Editor at this point.
So... Cuban-Pete, if you say it's too much work, it's fine. This isn't really a critical feature :)
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

It's quite a lot of work and not all maps will look great. I have attached the .blend file with correct/decent settings so you can try it for yourself. Press F12 to start rendering.
To get different lighting you need to play with Exposure, Ambient Occlusion Factor and Sun Strength and its angle.

I also tried Residential in the more night time setting you talked about, it's not easy to get the correct camera location to show the map clearly.

I really like the idea, but for over 200 maps, it's too much work, just the rendering times alone. :-)

If there is a map rating system, I or we could render each month the top 10...that might be an acceptable compromise? :roll:
Face Off Blender Cycles Rendering.7z
(1.05 MiB) Downloaded 1033 times
untitled1.png
robotanarchy
Car Jacker
Car Jacker

Post by robotanarchy »

Cuban-Pete wrote:If there is a map rating system, I or we could render each month the top 10...that might be an acceptable compromise? :roll:
Sure :)

I really like that last screenshot!

Thanks for attaching the cycles rendering, too. Maybe I'll play with it some time in the future, when I am close to releasing the next version of the mod ;)
Razor
Lunatic
Lunatic
GH nick: Razor, R

Post by Razor »

hey guys tl;dr so i have some questions:

- can i remap buttons cuz they are freaking anoting. Id like to move with my analog
- are you goona make some coop missions ?

Cheers!
robotanarchy
Car Jacker
Car Jacker

Post by robotanarchy »

Razor wrote:hey guys tl;dr so i have some questions:

- can i remap buttons cuz they are freaking anoting. Id like to move with my analog
- are you goona make some coop missions ?

Cheers!
Hello Razor :)

In the current version (0.3.x), there are only three mappings - you can toggle them by pressing the "guide" button (the big xbox logo in the middle of the controller).
The next version (0.4) will have config files for mappings, so everyone can easily add their own mapping.

I'm not going to make coop missions, but there are already some. To be honest I have never played any of them, but this one looks promising:
http://projectcerbera.com/gta/2/jailbreak/

(Just install it and select the map, it should work with my mod.)

PS: I'll continue working on the mod in a month or so, currently busy with exams again. It looks like I'll make a release in about 1.5 or two months I guess.
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Post by BenMillard »

Jailbreak also includes an army base team vs team game. There are a sequence of objectives for the attacking team. The defending team must stop them until the time runs out.

Army Base is an assault game where all players fight through an army base. Uses 6 star wanted level and some placed ROAD_BLOCK_TANK_MAN mission AI.

MultiSlayer City can be played as a co-operative rampage against law enforcement. Also has a cops and robbers mode: the host tries to complete crimes before the other players can stop them.
robotanarchy
Car Jacker
Car Jacker

Post by robotanarchy »

Exactly one month after my last post here, I'm continuing development :)

I'll try to make a release the next ~2 weeks, let's see if I can do it!

If someone wants to read a not-so-short summary of what has happened so far while developing G2HR, check out my new blog:
https://robotanarchy.space/g2hr-what-happened-so-far/
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

robotanarchy wrote:Exactly one month after my last post here, I'm continuing development :)

I'll try to make a release the next ~2 weeks, let's see if I can do it!

If someone wants to read a not-so-short summary of what has happened so far while developing G2HR, check out my new blog:
https://robotanarchy.space/g2hr-what-happened-so-far/
Firefox is complaining about a not-secure connection to 'robotanarchy.space'... uhhh?

Good news that you continue the development! <3
robotanarchy
Car Jacker
Car Jacker

Post by robotanarchy »

GTA2: Hacker's Remix 0.4.0 released!

Here it is! (EDIT: updated to 0.4.1)
Eight and a half months after the last release I present to you the technical preview of the full rewrite that has happened sice then. Beware, this release is probably buggy and not everything might work as expected. Then again, there are more config options than ever, that you can adjust to make the meta-mod work as good as possible. Read the included README.txt file for more information.

Patches welcome [respect]
I wanted to get this done by last friday, but on thursday I've decided to write a windows installer. This slowed down everything, and I finally decided not to ship the installer (who likes crappy unfinished installers anyway?). I really needed to make this release happen, before too much time passes by and I might not have as much time to do the release anymore (for example, I'll be on holidays soon). So while I really put much effort into polishing that version, it isn't as polished as the previous one and will have bugs (mostly in the splitscreen code). Be warned.

Anyway, the menu is really presentable now. Test everything you can and tell me what you think :mrgreen:

PS: Sorry to Cuban-Pete, I couldn't integrate more of your awesome menu pictures due to lack of time. If you want to, you can hack up the code and do it yourself though - or wait until I do this in the next release. The one I've used for the credits is visible in the main menu when you turn on the slotmachine mode.

[electrofingers] Enjoy [electrofingers]
Last edited by robotanarchy on 18 Aug 2015, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.