GTA2 Hackers Remix (SPLITSCREEN MOD!) in development

Anything to do with GTA1/GTA2 modding (tools, scripts and more).
Cuban-Pete
Immortal
GH nick: Cuban-Pete

Re: GTA2 Hackers Remix (SPLITSCREEN MOD!) in development

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Played today with a friend. It worked quite nice, but there are some small things. For example GTA2 Manager suddenly crashes (I use it to start up network games). By first closing GTA2 Manager, after starting the games, and then run your program it worked, no crash. The layout of the controls was, according to my fellow gamer, uncomfortable. For example, going left is not always going left (it depends on the players position). Not sure, what to do about this, I guess this is how GTA2 has always been, but easy adjustable custom controls will be nice (sorry for the 'double post'). Also the sound was a bit boring, especially since only one player had sound (effects). Car radio would be nice, but also kinda weird if more players at the same time would listen to different music, it would probably be chaotic. Perhaps some (custom multi-player) GTA2 mood music would be nice. I could eject all the radio talk and combine the songs into one. Here is a nice future-idea: Change the background music depending on the players position. But... not really a high priority idea.

@Sektor: Is local co-op (with controller support) also possible maybe? Being it split screen or both on/in one screen.
"Mmmm, your eyes are so beautiful."
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Post by Sektor »

Cuban-Pete wrote:@Sektor: Is local co-op (with controller support) also possible maybe? Being it split screen or both on/in one screen.
Co-op is possible on Industrial level if you add another player to the mis file and recompile but kill frenzies desync and some missions desync. I haven't narrowed down the command that causes the desync although I think it might be the cleanup command. Gang phone arrows don't appear in network mode, probably because they are the same colour as player arrows.

Single screen/single process co-op would require a way to control a ped. I don't have all the memory addresses to do that yet.
robotanarchy
Car Jacker
Car Jacker
GH nick: robotanarchy

Post by robotanarchy »

[electrofingers] New Release! [electrofingers]

Can't wait to see your screenshots and feedback :)
GTA2 Hacker's Remix ...also check out my blog!
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Post by Sektor »

At first it was launching GTA2 in network mode and starting the game even though the selected map doesn't normally allow starting with only 1 player. player2.exe was still on the join lobby. I changed the IP in gta2manager to 127.0.0.1 and then it worked.

Is there a proper way to quit splitscreen_mod.exe? I just killed the process each time.

We'll need to change the way GTA2 offsets the player names since in some resolutions, they are really far away from the players. At least we can untick show player names for now.

Sound was working in both windows.

Keep up the good work!
gta2-splitscreen.jpg
robotanarchy
Car Jacker
Car Jacker

Post by robotanarchy »

Sektor wrote:hifi was working on proper widescreen support. He has made similar tools/hacks for Command and Conquer games. I just sent him an email telling him about your splitscreen mod.
Thanks! I wonder if he made this, because it looks very promising. I'll probably try to merge that with my proxy dll at one point (or if someone else wants to, help is welcome :) )
Sektor wrote:I don't think it is a Windows XP limitation, I think multiplayer mode is just coded in such a way that it requires one CPU core for each instance of multiplayer GTA2. It would be nice if vike could remove that limitation but most people have at least dual core CPUs these days. If we can figure out how to control an AI ped with a controller then we could have local multiplayer with a single instance, as long as everyone stayed on the same screen.
As you can see on the screenshots, I got a two player network game working. But it isn't really running stable, I can run it a few times and then I need to reboot before it works again :o (you guys don't seem to have that problem, right?)
I think its a single core, I'll post the specs of that laptop when I find time to do so
Cuban-Pete wrote:Played today with a friend. It worked quite nice, but there are some small things. For example GTA2 Manager suddenly crashes (I use it to start up network games). By first closing GTA2 Manager, after starting the games, and then run your program it worked, no crash.
Yeah, that's normal (gta2manager uses the dmavideo.dll too, but has something else on the same address -> the gamepad glue mod just writes data there and crashes it). But with the new version, you don't need to launch the manager manually or place a custom dll in the gta2 folder :)
Cuban-Pete wrote:The layout of the controls was, according to my fellow gamer, uncomfortable. For example, going left is not always going left (it depends on the players position). Not sure, what to do about this, I guess this is how GTA2 has always been, but easy adjustable custom controls will be nice (sorry for the 'double post').
That's just how GTA2 works. maybe we can hack in some custom, more intuitive controls (as Sektor suggested, maybe even make a twin stick shooter), but this isn't a priority at all for me. If you really want to play it, you will learn the controls fast :)
Cuban-Pete wrote:Also the sound was a bit boring, especially since only one player had sound (effects).
Should be 'fixed' in the new version.
Cuban-Pete wrote:Car radio would be nice, but also kinda weird if more players at the same time would listen to different music, it would probably be chaotic. Perhaps some (custom multi-player) GTA2 mood music would be nice. I could eject all the radio talk and combine the songs into one. Here is a nice future-idea: Change the background music depending on the players position. But... not really a high priority idea.
I recommend turning off the radio sound (however you would do that, delete sound files?) and launching another music player with custom music in the background. On windows, you could use the excellent foobar2000 and map global key bindings to change the song for example, also it provides web interfaces that can be accessed with mobile phones (with a plugin). Or just use a CD player next to your PC ;D
Sektor wrote:At first it was launching GTA2 in network mode and starting the game even though the selected map doesn't normally allow starting with only 1 player. player2.exe was still on the join lobby. I changed the IP in gta2manager to 127.0.0.1 and then it worked.
I don't really get how the join IP is related to the map, can you give a more detailed explanation?
Sektor wrote:Is there a proper wait to quit splitscreen_mod.exe? I just killed the process each time.
Yes, just press [F2] and it should kill all related processes (Player1.exe ... Player6.exe, splitscreen_mod.exe, sdl_controller_code.exe).
Sektor wrote:We'll need to change the way GTA2 offsets the player names since in some resolutions, they are really far away from the players. At least we can untick show player names for now.
For me this worked fine, can you give me a screen shot? Also I don't do anything fancy with the player names except setting them in the registry so it shouldn't be different from the normal multiplayer (except for the resolution).
Sektor wrote:Sound was working in both windows.
Yay! I remember that this worked a year ago, but I couldn't verify it with my current setup (didn't find XP sounddrivers yet for that laptop >_>)

Thanks for all the feedback - and if anyone knows a little programming, you should try to modify the splitscreen_mod code. It is really easy (download AutoIt3 and the improved SciTE editor from their site, clone the code with github for windows (requires win7 or higher) and get going)!

PS: If anyone is working on a GTA2.exe hack in combination with this mod, remember to clear the GTA2.exe cache (path is in the readme file).

PPS: Hosting the game takes a very long time on my machine (joining is faster). Is this better on your PCs? (maybe you can measure the time)?
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Nice work :D , however it gets stuck and crashes here:
crash.png
crash.png (2.54 KiB) Viewed 38607 times
Another thing is that the first time running splitscreen_mod.exe it took very long to start Network Game and I quit the program with F2 before it started. Second time I ran the program as Administrator and it almost instantly started. After that running without Administrator it also starts almost instantly.

Here is some information that perhaps, might help:
Windows 7 Professional 64bit (Dutch) (Up-to-date)
Intel i5-2500k
8GB Ram
AMD Radeon HD6900 Series (driver version 2014.0915.1813.30937) Running on 1920x1080
Creative SB X-Fi (sound card)

My wild guess is that splitting the screen gives a resolution that is not supported (by game or video card)?

edit: I did remove old .dll. I even did a fresh GTA2 install from gtamp.com.
robotanarchy
Car Jacker
Car Jacker

Post by robotanarchy »

Cuban-Pete wrote:Nice work :D , however it gets stuck and crashes here:
crash.png
Try to reboot, I have that issue too.
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

robotanarchy wrote:
Cuban-Pete wrote:Nice work :D , however it gets stuck and crashes here:
crash.png
Try to reboot, I have that issue too.
That did not resolve it. I also find it a bit strange that something like that would fix it.

When testing a two player game and I close both crashed GTA2 windows (not GTA2 Split window), the text (initialization) continues and then it says at the end "Gamepad glue has quit!".
robotanarchy
Car Jacker
Car Jacker

Post by robotanarchy »

Cuban-Pete wrote:That did not resolve it. I also find it a bit strange that something like that would fix it.

When testing a two player game and I close both crashed GTA2 windows (not GTA2 Split window), the text (initialization) continues and then it says at the end "Gamepad glue has quit!".
Yes it is very strange, but everytime I reboot it works again - on my machine.

This is probably a race condition, the window must be merged in the *right* moment (whenever that is).

It would be really helpful, if you could download the code and try a different value for Sleep(2000) in merge.au3.
Then run the code and try if it works. You'll need AutoIt3 and the advanced SciTE from their homepage.

Try a lower value, you have a powerful machine and let me know if that fixes it :)
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Tried 4000, 2000, 1500, 1000, 500, 200, 100, 50, 25 and no sleep(), nothing worked.
robotanarchy
Car Jacker
Car Jacker

Post by robotanarchy »

Cuban-Pete wrote:Tried 4000, 2000, 1500, 1000, 500, 200, 100, 50, 25 and no sleep(), nothing worked.
That's too bad, but thanks a lot for trying it out!

I don't really have a clue, why it isn't working. Which firewall software do you use and does it allow Player1.exe...Player6.exe? (I've tested with the Windows XP firewall and it shows a dialog for the new Player1.exe etc. files, maybe something similar is going on?)
Maybe you could try it on another computer?

PS: If you don't mind, let's move that issue to the bugtracker. I know, you'd need to create a github account. But it helps to keep issues seperated and we'd have a better overview of what still needs to be fixed.
robotanarchy
Car Jacker
Car Jacker

Post by robotanarchy »

I have another idea, since the merge-into-a-new-window isn't really working stable on my machine and always crashing on Cuban-Pete's:

Right now I'm trying to make the GTA2 windows a child window of a new window.

@Cuban-Pete:
We should try not to do this (because this seems to be responsible for the crashes). To try this out quickly, try to comment out the "_WinAPI_SetParent", "GUI_SetState", "WinActivate($full)" lnes in merge.au3.

If this works, I'll make this the default and provide an option for merging windows in the next version.

EDIT: this will only help, if the _WinAPI_SetParent command is really the cause of the crashes, but we should definatelly try it out!
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

I can get it to work if I paste all the files from the GTA2 folder into the "Modified GTA2.exe Cache" folder. Also, running Player1.exe etc. now starts without a crash. Only problem is that the game pad glue is not working proper any more (it does not recognize the controllers). It looks like something goes wrong with setting paths or copying files to the "AppData\GTA2 Hackers Remix\" folder.

I have not tried your latest post.

edit: Controllers do work with compiled version! It does not work with using AutoIt3.exe and running splitscreen_mod.au3.
robotanarchy
Car Jacker
Car Jacker

Post by robotanarchy »

Cuban-Pete wrote:I can get it to work if I paste all the files from the GTA2 folder into the "Modified GTA2.exe Cache" folder. Also, running Player1.exe etc. now starts without a crash. Only problem is that the game pad glue is not working proper any more (it does not recognize the controllers). It looks like something goes wrong with setting paths or copying files to the "AppData\GTA2 Hackers Remix\" folder.

I have not tried your latest post.

edit: Controllers do work with compiled version! It does not work with using AutoIt3.exe and running splitscreen_mod.au3.

That is odd, can you give me your GTA2 path stored in the appdata/GTA2 Hackers Remix/config.ini?
And did the program ask you for your GTA2.exe, or did it just find it automatically? (it looks in program files, but checks the version number against vike's)
Compiled vs. non-compiled version: It should work the same, as long as you copy the bin/ folder from the release to the path where splitscreen_mod.au3 is in :)
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

E:\GTA2\gta2.exe
It did ask and I pointed it to the location above.
robotanarchy
Car Jacker
Car Jacker

Post by robotanarchy »

@Cuban-Pete: Just to be sure, after you have copied all the GTA2 game files in the cache folder, the whole mod works? (starting the gui, launching a 2 player game, screen splits, players can be controlled with gamepads, sound works in both windows)? If not, create a ticket please, so we don't fill up this thread with that one bug too much. Thanks for testing! :)
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Post by elypter »

if something doesnt work because there are some old gta2 processes in the bg the good old /t command in gh could help. btw nice work. i also had the idea to make a splitscreen mod but quickly gave up because of the controlls problem.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
robotanarchy
Car Jacker
Car Jacker

Post by robotanarchy »

elypter wrote:btw nice work. i also had the idea to make a splitscreen mod but quickly gave up because of the controlls problem.
Thanks!

@Sektor: In the meantime, I've tried the mod on a more powerful PC with 4 cores and 8gb ram. I think I ran into the same problem - the window merge wouldn't work. So I changed that sleep value to 10 seconds ( Sleep(10000) ) - and it worked!

The next version will have some advanced options to change that sleep-before-merging-windows value, and an option to not merge windows into one at all (in case the merge just won't work).

There's still a lot to be done, but in our hackerspace we have played a four player game with the splitscreen mod and it was awesome! [gang] (we even shot a video, but it doesn't have sound and the FPS is too low - maybe creating videos for that mod will work better on wine, because we don't have one windows with all the rendering like most pc games).

I'll also try to fool the GTA2 window into thinking it is always in focus, so it will play sound all the time. The current situation is kind of random, this way it would way more relieable.
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Post by elypter »

the optimum solution would be to be able to select audio output chanel and device for each player
yur sa'nok ngeyä
robotanarchy
Car Jacker
Car Jacker

Post by robotanarchy »

elypter wrote:the optimum solution would be to be able to select audio output chanel and device for each player
This might be possible just by selecting the audio device in the audio control panel in windows.

Anyway, there's a [invul] new release! [invul]

@Cuban-Pete: I think this version should work on your PC. There are some options now that you can configure if it doesn't :)
@elypter: Have you tried out the mod yet? If you read the README file, it should be pretty easy to get working. You'll need some xbox360 contollers though.