MultiSlayer 6 (Arenas & Team Games)

Post GTA1/GTA2 maps here (finished and work in progress).
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

MultiSlayer Domination

Post by BenMillard »

MultiSlayer Domination is the Ship level with 3 control points added. It's inspired by the Domination game mode from Unreal Tournament:

Recommended settings: 1,000,000 points, 10 minutes.
  1. When you walk over a control point, it changes to your colour and starts giving you $1,000 per second.
  2. If you walk over the other 2, you'll be earning $3,000 per second - the score goes round constantly.
  3. If another player walks over your control point, it changes to their colour. You stop getting money from that one but keep any others.
  4. When you die, you lose control over all your control points and stop receiving money from them.
You get the normal $2,000 for killing another player, with a $10,000 bonus for a 'water kill' where if they land in the sea.

This means getting a lot of kills quickly can give more money than using the control points. But the control points are constantly giving you money, so controlling them in between kills is also important.

You have to play tactically and aggressively to win.
Last edited by BenMillard on 28 Dec 2011, 19:17, edited 2 times in total.
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Re: MultiSlayer 6 (NEW: Domination)

Post by Sektor »

I played this once against Vike. He dominated with 1m vs 700k. It was fun but it would be best with 3 or more players.
BenMillard
Immortal

MultiSlayer 6 (Cops & Robbers scoring)

Post by BenMillard »

It seems cops aren't getting their score when they make the Robber fail the crane mission. Seems to depend what moment the mission is failed and exactly how the failure happens.

Here's my replay from a 3 player game with Agent00 and Jedras. I was player 3, if you want to try it.
Attachments
replay-p1-ms-cops-noscoring.zip
Agent00 was player 1. Search the forum for how to make GTA2 use multiplayer replay files. You'll need at least 3 cores.
(59.71 KiB) Downloaded 1071 times
replay-p3-ms-cops-noscoring.zip
BenMillard was player 3. Search the forum for how to make GTA2 use multiplayer replay files. You'll need at least 3 cores.
(60.97 KiB) Downloaded 1076 times
Agent00
Ped
Ped
GH nick: _RM_Agent00

Re: MultiSlayer 6 (NEW: Domination)

Post by Agent00 »

Too bad Jedras quit before we got his replay file....
BenMillard
Immortal

Re: MultiSlayer 6 (Cops & Robbers scoring)

Post by BenMillard »

I got to the bottom of this. If the cop car was destroyed by any method, I failed the criminal but didn't reward the cops. It seemed a bit strange to reward cops if they own car was blown up.

However, this is GTA. The cops are insane. They are homicidal. Sometimes, they are suicidal! GTA2 cops would much rather destroy their cop car than let a damn criminal sell it at the docks.

So now the cops will get a reward if the cop car is destroyed. Uploaded, tested and confirmed working with Agent00.
BenMillard
Immortal

MultiSlayer 6 BUSTED!

Post by BenMillard »

A new game mode for GTA2, based on GTA4 multiplayer Free Mode games I've seen.

It's basically Tag but the host is always "it" as the criminal. Police must wreck the criminal's car or arrest the driver by stealing their car.
  • Everyone else is police.
  • There are no weapons, just cars. Including normal traffic and pedestrians.
  • The criminal cannot change vehicle. Police can change vehicle.
  • If the police get enough points before Time Limit ends, police win the game.
  • If the game runs out of time first, criminal wins the game.
Game Settings
  • Cops ON is recommended.
  • It's $100,000 per round, so $1,000,000 means 10 rounds. (Recommended.)
  • 20 minutes is recommended.
Progress So Far
Tested with Jones, Elypter and Jedras so far. We were doing the game mode manually, by using messages and playing by the rules. I'll start writing code to make it automatic next.

Vehicle agility to weave around traffic helps the criminal when they have a lot of damage. Jedras was great at that with the Rumbler.

Planned Work
During our games I wrote these notes - other map makers should do this. It really helps me "fix all the things!"
  1. Change criminal arrow colour?
  2. Add Swat Vans to Police Station.
  3. Cars should turn blue when police enter, like it becomes a Police Car.
  4. Re-arrange criminal vehicles.
  5. Criminal should have Miura, Bus and articulated truck available in hotel carpark.
  6. Respawn the Cop Cars in Police Station if they get destroyed.
  7. Prevent police from driving if the criminal is not in a car. (Police can still run and enter/exit cars.)
I might kill all players to 'reset' the gameplay when each round has finished. A bit like GA Spar Edited.

(EDIT) Completed Work
  1. Turn off respray shops.
  2. Add Jefferson to start point for Criminal.
  3. Display "BUSTED!" message and give $100,000 to all police when criminal dies or is pulled from car.
  4. Warp police respawn so they always return to Police Station.
  5. Warp criminal respawn so they always return to hotel carpark.
  6. Criminal start point cars should be green, not dark blue. (D'oh...)
  7. Cars should turn black when police enter, like it becomes an FBI Car.
  8. Upward timer starts when Criminal first enters a car.
  9. Zone ratios, I set them but they aren't taking effect. WHY???
  10. Meteor Turbo should spawn as traffic but not standard Meteor.
  11. SW coast has missing edge at end of 45° section near concrete breakwater.
  12. Stop jumping from SW cliffs letting you land on false floor inside MultiSlayer Cage.
BenMillard
Immortal

Re: MultiSlayer 6 (Arenas & Team Games)

Post by BenMillard »

Here's the reply files from an amazingly close 2-player MultiSlayer Cage game between E_Seno and myself.

I was player 2, he was player 1.
Attachments
replay-ms-cage-2012-12-08T22-22-2p.zip
MultiSlayer Cage, 2 players, 25 frags. Ends at 25 frags, going down to the very last shot.
(51.17 KiB) Downloaded 1024 times
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Post by elypter »

criminal should only be chaes when he gets first wanted level or after a specified time
yur sa'nok ngeyä
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Yes, the criminal should get a headstart. I could freeze police controls after each round until the criminal gets a car.

Or I could start a 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, RACE ON! countdown once the criminal gets a car. Criminal would be able to drive during this time but police would be unable to drive.

We might have found the source of some desync problems, particularly in games with many players:
<BenMillard> Eureka!
<BenMillard> it happens when a cop player exits [a car] just as another cop player enters [that car]
<BenMillard> so at that moment I think the car gets saved to 2 CAR_DATA
<BenMillard> my code is constantly saving the car as well, I could change that so it only saves the car once
Special thanks to Sequential and Jones for doing a controlled test so that we could find this.

(EDIT) I've made the code change and it was stable with 2 players. It needs 3 players and for cops to squabble over a car to test this properly, though.

(EDIT2) Seems to have worked! No desync in 3 player game, with cops deliberately trying to glitch it while stealing each other's car.

(EDIT3) Camera is very slow to move when you respawn. I do this a faster way in other levels but it was crashing in some death sitautions. I'll look into that some more, maybe get help from Elypter.
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

Latest version crashes on start. MS City is also busted in network and normal mode.
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

It works if you use Create Game, Create Game, Start.

At the moment, Play Alone is not supported for levels using ms.gmp because the zone names refer to entries which only exist in the custom ms.gxt file. gta2.exe does not yet load the custom ms.gxt when you use the Play Alone button.

At least, that's why it seems. It's mentioned in ms-readme.txt and therefore solved by documentation! ;-)

(Also reported in the GTAForums old school area.)
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

Fixed.
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Had a great evening gaming with some regulars. Here's a screenshot of the BUSTED! mode:

Not quite the 16-player avalanche you see in GTA4 games on YouTube. GTA2 game speed is soooo much faster that you really wouldn't want that many people driving for the same bit of tarmac at once!

Played most of my favourite levels, many times over. In a really friendly atmosphere, too. I love it when GTA2 evenings are this good.

Sadly a lot of crashes on BUSTED! so it might be time for an ms-busted.gmp with a single cluster of restart zones. Then I could code it the same way I used for Mazon. That didn't seem to like deaths inside vehicles though, I guess because WARP_FROM_CAR_TO_POINT gets confused that the player is being referenced when they are actually in a car which could be warped.

Jones said he might take a look. Help wanted!
Jones
Psycho
Psycho

Post by Jones »

I also suspect WARP_FROM_CAR_TO_POINT is crux of matter. You know this spawn bug, where a char/ped directly spawns on you and the camera begins to float around until crash? It might be the same for warping and warp points for policemen are quite close together. You can avoid this with a height/z-value minimum 0.26 above ground. Say ground is on level 2.0, then it would be 2.26 or higher. Better take 0.3 or 0.5 just to be sure ;) You can also try and place warp points more apart.
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

It seems criminal death in car after a collision with a police player is the most crashable. Also happened when I was pushed into a swimming pool by a police player.

BUSTED! now has scoring and it balances pretty well:
  • Criminal gets $1,000 per second during a chase.
  • Criminal still gets normal crime points.
  • Criminal still gets $5,000 for Insane Stunt Bonus. That's like a 5 second time bonus - but risky!
  • Cops get $100,000 when criminal is killed or arrested.
Criminal has to escape for about 100 seconds during each round in order to win the game. $800,000 Points Limit gives you ~8 rounds.

(EDIT) Race now has an upward timer so you can start races at a specific time and figure out your lap time. If you start the route at 3 minutes and finish at 6 minutes, your lap time was 3 minutes. That&rsquo;s a great lap.

You can still start races by waiting for a green light. The traffic light sequence is somewhere between 17-18 seconds. So it still relies on good reaction times, even with the clock.
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Grey Zaibatsu colour for player 6 was hard to see against roads and gravel. Replaced it with the Dark Blue Yakuza colour. That was used by Player 5 so they are now Blue Redneck.

MultiSlayer Race:
  • New car lineups.
  • Adjusted parking angles.
  • Fixed a TOWER that was inside a car. The car would slowly damage and explode if someone tried to drive it.
  • Car colour changes to match the player who entered it, like TRON: Light Cycles.
  • Player start positions moved next to Bug.
  • Pair of Dementias replaced by a 5th and 6th Bug.
Jones
Psycho
Psycho

Post by Jones »

You can fall through map on MultiSlayer Race around coordinates 92,99
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Thanks. Fixed and new MultiSlayer uploaded.

I've really lost my enthusiasm about GTA2. Multiplayer is dominated by lag and crashes more than gameplay.
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Post by elypter »

how could you say that2. the ride never ends
its all ogre ;_;
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Rick
Car Jacker
Car Jacker
GH nick: Sequential

Post by Rick »

Now I am having the same respawn camera bug problem.
I use warps at the restart zones to spawn in a specific area only. (because of different maps in one GMP file and different scripts)

Works fine while on foot.
But after dying in the only car on that map the screen shows the respawn point (the one after the warp) as it should for one second.
One second later the screen changes to the restart zone an moves very slowly back to the ped.
It really takes too long.

Any idea?