GTA2 DTD Version 1.0

Post GTA1/GTA2 maps here (finished and work in progress).
Pyro
Immortal
GH nick: Pyro

Re: GTA2 DTD Version 1.0

Post by Pyro »

To make people fight each other, use the MAKE_ALL_CHARS_MUGGER (ON) command. This will make everyone, including peds and gang members, shoot or punch each other and will also try and shoot/hit you too. Gang members will still try and shoot you even with maximum respect so be careful.

Not sure what you mean about "traffic for cars". Cars spawn automatically on roads so long as there are green directional arrows. Easiest way to see them is use the official DMA Editor and press '2' to view tile types (air is yellow, road is black, field is dark green, pavement is grey and Z level 0 is blue unless set to some other type) and you'll see green arrows on the roads that direct traffic.
Alberto
Hitman
Hitman
GH nick: Raef/ RaefGH

Post by Alberto »

Pyro wrote:To make people fight each other, use the MAKE_ALL_CHARS_MUGGER (ON) command. This will make everyone, including peds and gang members, shoot or punch each other and will also try and shoot/hit you too. Gang members will still try and shoot you even with maximum respect so be careful.

Not sure what you mean about "traffic for cars". Cars spawn automatically on roads so long as there are green directional arrows. Easiest way to see them is use the official DMA Editor and press '2' to view tile types (air is yellow, road is black, field is dark green, pavement is grey and Z level 0 is blue unless set to some other type) and you'll see green arrows on the roads that direct traffic.

well thats strange, because the code is not working ( in gta2 script pad types it in red ), please make sure of this code
the gta2 script pad doesnt compile with this code
why dont you come to gta2gh there we can talk easily and i can ask you about a lot of things if you have time of course
traffic for cars : I Meant the green - yellow - red colors which make the cars STOP When they see the traffic red
i dont actually understand this post.

NOTE : The MAP_ZONE commands doesnt actually work, i used benmillard site for the most crowd city but it doesnt work

thanks
The fuck you looking at?
CarThief
Hitman
Hitman
GH nick: CarThief

Post by CarThief »

Well if that problem hasnt been solved yet, stoplights are created roughly this exact manner, except size, that can vary.
Once the zone itself is set, you'll need to add passable transparant structures of some kind most likely to support the stop/trafficlights so they dont just float mid-air and look weird; as displayed here on how they can look for example. The traffic lights always seem to spawn on 4.0 or something, or perhaps 3 full z blocks up from the road itself, never tried on a lower or higher road really.
Edit: I also forgot, if you see peds crossing the street when the light is red (which does not always happen, depends on road formation), you'll need to add a crossing, those tiles with white lines that serve as a save way to cross the road, ussually.

If you need more examples i suggest you check out the official districts DMA made for different road and traffic light structures.

A note on Traffic light zones, they dont need to be that exact size, they can be larger or smaller as long as they stay in the exact center and dont go into any streets, just stay and fill up the entire center. They can also be used for other road formations then crossroads, such as a road that goes forward but also either left or right, the traffic lights will then only show up on those appropiate roads. You still need to add that structure to support the stoplights visually though, on each side with a road. Havent tested them on a road with no turns though.

As for the map zone command to control what spawns where, it works, but only if done right.
The command itself and how you're supposed to use it:
[mis]MAP_ZONE zonename = ( cars , goodcars, badcars , policecars , peds , muggers , carthieves , elvislines , gangmembers , copsonfoot , gangcars )[/mis]
zonename is the name of the zone you're using, it HAS to be an Information Zone.
cars = is the general ratio of cars. Apply a number to it that will act as a total. An example later.
goodcars = ratio of good quality (aka fast and shiney looking) cars.
badcars = the opposite of good cars, they're all slow and crap.
policecars = self-explanatory, allows more or only police cars to spawn. They seem to spawn regardless if this is 0 though, along with every other emergency vehicle.
peds = the ratio of peds in general, needs a number to act as an total as well.
muggers = red shirt guys who try to take your money.
carthieves = green shirt guys who steal cars at random.
elvislines = lines of people dressed like elvis who give "ELVIS HAS LEFT THE BUILDING" bonus after all are killed in short time.
gangmembers = the amount of gang members that will spawn. Put on 0 if not a gang zone.
copsonfoot = the amount of patrolling officers on foot. They are always alone, never grouped.
gangcars = the amount of gang cars to roam the streets. Set to 0 if no gang area.

Now here's a short instruction on how to use the command:
You replace each keyword, like cars, goodcars, and so on, with numbers. Cars is a general ratio of cars, if this is 0 you need to put any other car-relate settings to 0. So set this to something like 1000.
Then comes goodcars, this isnt a general ratio, instead, this will try to override goodcars. Set this to something like 200 and it will override 200 of the 1000 leaving 800 left for cars in general to spawn, giving goodcars 200.
Then comes badcars. Add say, 150 to this one, and cars in general will become 650, making almost half of the spawned traffic so far good or bad cars and the others average.
And so on with police cars and gangcars. You can completely override the cars number to ensure no average cars spawn, but its probaly a good idea to keep a doable number left for cars to retain, so average cars spawn as well, i think.

Same deal with peds. Peds is the general ratio as well, every other thing like muggers, carthieves and even gang members deduct from the amount of generic peds that will show up. Allowing for say, an area where nothing but muggers or gang members spawn. Again 1000 is a good number for that to spread around with.

If it helps this is what i used for the 'slums' area, where cars are supposed to be worse and all:
[mis]MAP_ZONE Slums = (1000/*cars*/, 100/*goodcars*/, 400/*badcars*/, 100/*policecars*/, 1000/*peds*/, 250/*muggers*/, 250/*carthieves*/, 100/*elvislines*/, 0/*gangmembers*/, 100/*copsonfoot*/, 0/*gangcars*/)[/mis]The /**/ things are used to comment a specific thing in the script line without commenting the rest or the entire line, so it should still function in script, if need be.
Alberto
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Alberto »

wut about how to make people fight with each other?
The fuck you looking at?
CarThief
Hitman
Hitman

Post by CarThief »

I figured Pyro gave a easy enough to understand explanation? In order to let all non-script-spawned peds (those created by the game, not by any script commands) fight eachother in one big chaotic mess, as used in a particular mission in Downtown involving a radio station, i believe, just use the MAKE_ALL_CHARS_MUGGERS command.
[mis]MAKE_ALL_CHARS_MUGGERS (ON)//Now they fight eachother.
MAKE_ALL_CHARS_MUGGERS (OFF)//Now they dont.[/mis]
Should be toggable from ON to OFF, in case its being used for a mission or as a temporarely effect. Without the use of this command there isnt any way non-script peds will fight eachother like this.
Oh, and it is pretty darn lethal to players on foot as well, if you're in a car its quite managable.

Edit: And if you're not looking for that, but want a well-controlled battle between script-created peds, you should try adding, say, group A to gang A and group B to gang B, so they wont attack their allies, with this command:
ADD_CHAR_TO_GANG (char name, gang name)
Gang members dont like other gang members, and fire on opposing gang members on sight, so hence the idea.
(Though making them actual groups might work too, if you dont mind the somewhat odd group movement, with the group commands and all. Handy thing about group members is its very hard for them to take friendly fire from most stuff. Except maybe rockets, explosions, electro guns,etc.)

Or simply making the character occupation/type into CRIMINAL_TYPE1 or CRIMINAL_TYPE2 to make them fight eachother with the right threat settings. No guarantee if that will work as intended though, didnt try that yet i think.
And if you want characters to only go after the player use whatever you like with the threat search setting AREA_PLAYER_ONLY or LINE_OF_SIGHT_PLAYER_ONLY, and threat reaction REACT_AS_NORMAL.
Alberto
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Alberto »

Actually pyro wrote the command wrong, but thats fine, thanks carthief and pyro
---
btw: carthief i'll upload the .mis file to you, cuz i really used everything you said but it still doesnt work! :<
Attachments
Freedom-Criminals.mis
(2.27 KiB) Downloaded 625 times
The fuck you looking at?
CarThief
Hitman
Hitman

Post by CarThief »

I've taken a look but i dont see anything wrong with it. You'll need to be more clear on what the issue is, as im not recieving any errors upon compiling the script. Only thing that looks like it might cause trouble is the phone, if it repeats itself it will just spawn the object every time it is answered, if it can be answered more then once.

Edit: And maybe telling what the script is supposed to do might help as well, so i know what to look for.
Pyro
Immortal

Post by Pyro »

Sorry, I just now noticed I missed an 'S' on the command, should have been MAKE_ALL_CHARS_MUGGERS (ON) like CarThief listed.

Also as CarThief mentioned, I now realise you meant traffic lights. Like he said, best way of learning is looking at the official maps (wil.gmp, ste.gmp and bil.gmp) using TM's editor. Just so you know, where you place the actual traffic light zone, the lights will appear 1 block away, usually above pedestrian crossings. Again, look at the zone placement in the map editor and then look at where the traffic light appears in-game and should help you there.
Alberto
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Alberto »

Carthief check the hole map, you'll find the gang members 8 or less
Pyro, thats fine, everybody forgets, even it was wrong at least you helped and i appreciate that thank you pyro & Carthief (and all of you) :)
the map_Zone code doesnt work! Strange case :|
Attachments
fc.RAR
here is the map anyway
(16.1 KiB) Downloaded 683 times
The fuck you looking at?
CarThief
Hitman
Hitman

Post by CarThief »

Well i've done some changing so it works better, i touched up the script, made the gang function and fixed animations and whatnot. Here's the full list also included in the zip file on what changed (or got added):

Code: Select all

MAP:
-Fixed animations and gave them average speed of 2.
(Water only works when properly animated, else you get stuck or it acts as a solid surface.
-Added a block above the door.
-Put a tile on a HOM(Hall Of Mirrors) effect-giving area near the uh, stunt jumping ledge.
-Added the Information Zone Almainfo
-Added the Gang Zone almagang

SCRIPT: (Also see the comments in the script file i left behind.)
-Added stop_ringing command to phone after it is called.
-Rotated player, phone and car.
-Renamed door, made it SINGLE instead of double, and rotated to the right.
-Added DECLARE_DOOR_INFO for the door so it was no longer invisible.
(Note that these always need to be above actual DOOR's.
You should probaly take a look at what changed and how, to help learn on how to do these kind of things.
Oh, and that conveyor belt wont actually move anything unless you use the command CONVEYOR for it, there's a tutorial for these kind of things here.
Attachments
ajustedfc.zip
(21.84 KiB) Downloaded 655 times
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Post by BenMillard »

Be careful of wasting time on help vampires.
CarThief
Hitman
Hitman

Post by CarThief »

Yeah i suppose, got alot of time and patience to kill most of the time though. I guess as long as he bothers to learn from this all it will... manage.
Alberto
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Alberto »

damn, i forgot to write ( if you have time carthief ) -
Ben, helping people is good, we can consider as wasting time... if you're busy, you were (one day) dont know something about Making GTA2 maps, but you learned...Ben, check my profile i joined this forum on 2011 So im still learning! :< BTW You dont have to post something which is unhelpful... but it was a good advice.
Carthief, thanks for you help (Sorry for wasting your time).

PS: killing time is good, also When you're busy SAY THAT PLEASE :)
The fuck you looking at?
Alberto
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Alberto »

i added the same command you typed in your last posts (MAP_ZONE...) what did you change in the code so it makes the gang members increase by this way?
besides, when i use the code you used in Freedom-criminals in an another map, it doesnt work !

DAMN! I want to finish this :<
PS : [sm-evil]
The fuck you looking at?
CarThief
Hitman
Hitman

Post by CarThief »

I dont think i changed the MAP_ZONE command at all, all i did in order for the MAP_ZONE command to work was add a Information zone, and for the gang zone command a Gang Zone, just as large as the Information Zone. You should be able to see the result in the Epic map editor when looking for zones.

And you cant really expect a script made specially for one map to work flawlessly on another, let alone work at all. For some commands you need zones, and without those it might crash. You'll need to make a new special script for each different map, or atleast ajust the map and/or script to cooperate with eachother. Most of the time you'll end up with misplaced items though, and perhaps having the player spawn above water or inside buildings, stuff like that.
Pyro
Immortal

Post by Pyro »

Pretty sure this has been talked about before. For example, you make a zone in the map editor called 'Zone01' and then you use the MAP_ZONE command in the script for the same name so it'd be MAP_ZONE Zone01 = (a,b,c..). You can only use the MAP_ZONE command with zones that actually exist in your map, otherwise it'll either not work or just crash the game. Also, you cannot have a space in a zone name either (script only).

Definitely worth looking at other maps and scripts to see how they work, but if you directly copy and paste without changing things will go wrong or just won't work. Just play around and experiment, it's how I did a lot of mine in the early days until I wrote some guides on it!
Alberto
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Alberto »

Thats fine, i followed the steps : 1.made the map_zone zone1 code | 2. added an information area with the same name of map_Zone (zone1) - Thanks for that
i still cant setup trains, i just dont know how :P
The fuck you looking at?
CarThief
Hitman
Hitman

Post by CarThief »

I suppose this tutorial helped me greatly when i was fairly new to trains, got em right after a few tries. Trains are highly sensetive and can crash the game itself if done poorly, or plain crash into a wall or another train and explode.
Speaking from experience, you will encounter alot of problems with trains along the way and have to fix them bit by bit, so try to check for things like:

* Trains crashing into other trains: Make sure to avoid this by not having two stations with trains next to eachother, though it can be done, but its often worth more to avoid the risk. Just make train stations in this order if having more then 2, station1(with train), station2(without train), station 3(with train), and so on...
* Ride your train to see where it either crashes the game (often caused by the train track not being Field, as it MUST be Field), crashes into a wall, or hits another train, and fix these as they should be fixed. And if it never stops driving about you have a stop zone that needs to be fixed or put into the right spot.
* If the game crashes instantly, you probaly misplaced or miscreated some zones. Make sure you put the correct zone names and zone types in the correct spots. This HAS to be flawless (though not perfect) in order to work.
* Try retain the tutorial's naming system, just use the same names, but with different numbers as the tutorial will explain in-depth. Who knows what would happen if you rename them into something else. Especially if you mess with the numbers beyond what you need to do with them.

And there's probaly alot more to it as well. Best advice i can give you is what was said above, and even better: look at how other maps created their trains! And try to recreate that if the tutorial doesnt fix your problem. Trains are possibily the most hardest thing to pull off properly in GTA2, or so they say, so you may want to leave messing about with trains untill later. Even i dont have the time to help you all day with trains, with all the problems they can cause if poorly constructed.
Pyro
Immortal

Post by Pyro »

I also have a tutorial on trains here, goes into a bit more detail than the WikiGTA version, but definitely read both since setting up a working train system can cause a LOT of problems if done incorrectly.

I was probably the first person to have trains in a custom GTA2 map all those years ago, hence the tutorial I made afterwards (had quite a few messages asking how to do it or fix their one back then), but ultimately I learnt from the official maps the zone types and placement and a bit of trial and error, and even experimenting to find out we could get nine carriages (document only said you could get four but I proved that wrong also) and even the somewhat recent 'slow' trains (used in Jailbreak map and converted GTA1 cities).

Pain to get working but satisfying once you see it working! Just remember once a train is destroyed in-game there is no way to replace it without restarting the map!
Alberto
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Alberto »

Pyro, Lets take DAFE's Death valley as an example, there is av train in the map, when you enter the train - and before you reach the end you pass by a hidden place Like this picture

what tiles should i set in this hidden place?
the subway will fails with me...because i dont know how to hide this place.

* You know how to edit the GXT Files? Like i want to set the line number 5000 so it says "Welcome to GTA2 City Stories"
then when i type the code ( DISPLAY_BIERF (5000) ) , you know how to edit this?

Thanks
Attachments
The hidden place
The hidden place
Capture.JPG (41.77 KiB) Viewed 30330 times
The fuck you looking at?