GTA2 Game Hunter

elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

GTA2 Game Hunter

Post by elypter »

http://gta2dare.omnitude.net/maplist/list.php#brace.mmp
is only the list of user uploaded maps. i posted it as an example. it can be done with any list of valid map archives.
if you want to see which maps i have collected download multiplayer pakx or look at the file list: http://gta2dare.omnitude.net/output/mul ... akx.7z.txt
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Pyro
Immortal
GH nick: Pyro

GTA2 Game Hunter

Post by Pyro »

Just tried 1.525 and got to say the "X" has a really stupid icon and location and actually thought that people had their own icon/avatar or such. I thought a proper Windows X button would appear in top right or at least next to the chat window name text when you mouse over it (is this even possible?). However, I do like the fact you can now close windows individually by using Ctrl+W now. Mind you, I do run the program full screen (1680x1050) so probably not helping!

PS - When can I get a unique Wales country icon? :P

Edit - each time I close GH and then later on I use the Gta2 manager it always has the "Skip Frontend" unticked. I know that you can do "Play Alone" in GH but still mildly annoying. Can you make it "remember" the setting(s) after loading/exiting? More useful for testing single player though if there is no MMP file.
Last edited by Pyro on 07 Apr 2011, 19:14, edited 2 times in total.
Gustavob
Immortal
GH nick: Gustavob
|Gustavob|

1.525 beta

Post by Gustavob »

Nickname changes aren't shown on multiple-channels, neither on the chat history (e.g. John_Doe is now known as John) nor on the players list
You just lost the game.
elypter
Immortal

Re: GTA2 Game Hunter

Post by elypter »

i get this bug in the beta sometimes

14:43:22 Gustavob is now known as Guest62777
14:43:22 Error processing a message: Control array element '5' doesn't exist - Line: 0

and there is a unclickable tab named Guest2558
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Post by Sektor »

2011-04-27 v1.526 beta
- Added audio alert for hosting a game from any country
- Join audio alert is played if the number of players in your lobby changes
- Fixed hosted game from a certain country audio alert
- Random map select button added to "Create Game" screen
- Country is resent if joining after being kicked
- Player list column sorts apply to all channels
- Gridline changes apply to all player lists
- GH theme changes apply to all player lists
- Fixed a bug that wouldn't save the channel list on exit if you were only in one channel
- Nick changes update in every channel
- Fixed "failed to find" error
- GH will no longer attempt to update the country of joiners with a hostname ending in .IP
Cuban-Pete
Immortal
GH nick: Cuban-Pete

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Thanks for the update, Sektor.

I got one question. Last time I tried to do a LAN-game with GH, but it did not work. One was on the main PC (cable to router), the other on laptop (wireless). Game Hunter even gave message that it was LAN-game, but still no connection. :( What to do?
"Mmmm, your eyes are so beautiful."
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

Does it work without GH?

Try disabling UPnP and any software firewalls. If broadcast requests are blocked on your LAN or the devices have different IP ranges then you will need to enter the exact LAN IP instead of a blank IP (GH sets IP to blank to make GTA2 search for LAN games).
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

2011-04-28 v1.527
- Fixed /part #channel command. Typing /p or /part will close the current tab.
- Rich text pasted into the topic and chatbox tabs will be converted to plain text
- Non GH users with an IP ending with exactly two numbers will have a blank flag instead of a question mark flag
- Closing/opening an additional gta2.exe no longer removes your open game from the game list
- Changed "GTA2 ran for" to "GTA2 was in game for". It now excludes lobby time.
- Improved display of some IRC messages
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Post by BenMillard »

That package includes a gh.exe instead of a gta2gh.exe but the other changes seem useful.

The EXE has increased from 627kB in v1.524 to 704kB in 1.527 and that seems like a lot?
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

BenMillard wrote:That package includes a gh.exe instead of a gta2gh.exe?
i would also prefer the old name. so i dont have to change it in the pakxs.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

1.524 was 688,128 bytes, 1.527 is 720,896 bytes and 1.528 will be at least 733,184 bytes. I'll also be including 7z.exe, so it will be even larger. I think I only added one small image since 1.524, the rest must be code.

I'm phasing out GTA2 from the name because it might support other games at some point.
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Phasing out the name before the capability is present seems backwards. Months of coding and months testing (overlapped) would be normal for GTA2 Game Hunter to become a viable program for 1 other game. (Even in the case of a similar game, such as GTA1.)

Supporting other games whilst keeping GTA2 game flow easy would require extremely refined GUI design. Probably a lot of iterations. That's been the case even to support one game, let alone multiple ones.

Also, there are platforms like All Seeing Eye which already list multiple games. Surely it gives GTA2 more exposure for less effort to get those systems supporting it? Likewise for the other games you might want to support.

Specific Feedback
Now, about v1.527:
  1. There's no Players list when I open a private chat tab
  2. This has a few disadvantages. Was it deliberate or a bug?
  3. The X button is a bit like MDI Child interface but I think that's so rare this becomes unintuitive.
  4. Older versions of Firefox put it to the far right of the Tabs Bar, which was adequate. Ideally it is placed on the current tab, to the right.
  5. Alt+E is conflicted between Edit and Settings. GHBM solves that with Settings and keeps the Edit convention.
  6. Alt+F seems to trigger 'random map' instead of Find this map. Annoying.
  7. Random Map button should say "Random" although I agree with its position next to Refresh.
You could probably fake that positioning with space characters or using .TextWidth to set a custom .Width for each tab. The button could then be sized and styled to fit in the space which has been made.
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

Hiding the player list in private tabs was intentional. That's the way most other IRC clients do it and it was just part of the support for multiple player lists (someone you are private chatting with might not even be in #gta2gh). I'll show the player list again though since I doubt anyone needs the extra width in private chats.

X button suggestions noted. It's only the way it is now since that was the fastest way to add it.
Alt+E is conflicted between Edit and Settings.
Thanks I didn't notice that. There should really be a tool/addon that finds those conflicts.
Alt+F seems to trigger 'random map' instead of Find this map. Annoying.
Strange. I didn't think it had a keyboard shortcut. Changing the tabIndex seems to have fixed it. I guess it shared a tabIndex.
Random Map button should say "Random" although I agree with its position next to Refresh.
I tried that originally but I thought some would prefer the minimum width wasn't increased (I run it maximised most of the time, so it doesn't matter to me). It has Random Map as a tooltip. I can manipulate the GTA2 Network window now, so it will move there eventually.

I'll leave the exe as gta2gh.exe in the next installer. So far all versions released after v1.524 have kind of been betas, so I didn't put them in an installer or update the topic/news/twitter.
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Changing the Players list when in a private chat for a player who is only in a channel other than #gta2gh might make sense. Kind of a niche use for a GTA2 game finder, though. ;)

Ah yes, Alt+F is the accelerator key for the Frame which contains the Find this map box. Refresh probably had a TabIndex which was just after that Frame and before the Find this map box?

You can use the Design Time environment to view the Form, then click any control, then press Tab to cycle through them. This lets you see when the order jumps around or doubles back. MZ Tools might have some utility to help with this, too?

A question mark button looks more like a help feature than a random map selector, imho. If the minimum width would be around 400 pixels or less then that's easily fine by me. (I like the Preview box to be exactly 400 pixels wide and 300 pixels high.)

Thanks for reverting the EXE filename. Firewalls and port settings are sometimes tied to the EXE name and location. That mostly affects gta2.exe but GH does some listening, too.
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

The reverse lookup for mmps works is now ready for use. at the moment with 446 mmp files.
You just need to specify the mmp file and the download of the original archive starts. example:
h**p://gta2dare.omnitude.net/maplist/download.php?mmp=bc_ac.mmp

details: http://gtamp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=355
yur sa'nok ngeyä
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Game Hunter wrote:Run-time error '340':

Control array element '3' doesn't exist.
This happened somewhen after a player in a private chat tab changed their name, while that tab was active. It may have been caused by something in the main channel. GTA2 was not running in any way at the time. Create Game may have been open...probably not though.

(EDIT) Closing individual tabs from Ctrl+W works great. :)
Last edited by BenMillard on 07 May 2011, 17:30, edited 2 times in total.
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

Gustavob reported that bug in a PM earlier. It will be fixed for v1.528.

Changes so far:
- Player list is no longer hidden in private tabs
- Topic can no longer be edited in private tabs
- Fixed a bug with a player changing their name while you had a private chat open with them
- Round brackets are no longer removed from the end of clicked links
- Changed tab order on Create Game window to fix a bug with alt+f
- Changed Settings shortcut from alt+e to alt+n.
- Removed leading space for "unknown command" server message
- Join status (the name of the host) is removed when GTA2 is closed
- Right click on a player's name returns focus to the chatbox
- Automatic map downloads
- GH only monitors the GTA2 process that it launched. Less problems with multiple copies of GTA2 running.
- Unique ID message is hidden. The server still sends it.
Cuban-Pete
Immortal
GH nick: Cuban-Pete

Post by Cuban-Pete »

If you are really thinking about supporting more games in the future, perhaps the programs GameRanger and Voobly are good inspiration. Both free and support old games. I sometimes use it for AoE:TC. :)
"Mmmm, your eyes are so beautiful."
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

2011-05-15 v1.528
- Optional automatic map download/install for joiners if the map is on gtamp.com
- Optional automatic map download/install when clicking on direct gtamp.com or projectcerbera.com 7z/zip links
- If your GTA2 folder couldn't be found then many GH settings weren't loaded since GH was checking wrong registry section
- Player list is no longer hidden in private tabs
- Improved display of "has been invited" message
- Topic can no longer be edited in private tabs
- Fixed a bug with a player changing their name while you had a private chat open with them
- Round brackets are no longer removed from the end of clicked links
- Changed tab order on Create Game window to fix a bug with alt+f
- Changed Settings shortcut from alt+e to alt+n.
- Removed leading space for "unknown command" server message
- Join status (the name of the host) is removed when GTA2 is closed
- Right click on a player's name returns focus to the chatbox
- GH only monitors the GTA2 process that it launched. Less problems with multiple copies of GTA2 running.
- Unique ID message is hidden. The server still sends it.
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

2011-05-28 v1.529
- Output of 7za.exe is displayed
- Bundled 7za.exe instead of 7z.exe since 7z.exe requires 7z.dll
- Downloaded files are closed before launching 7za
- Changed User Agent from gta2gh to GH1.529
- All files used by a map are downloaded if GMP/SCR are different to host GMP/SCR
- Optional automatic downloads/install from gta2dare.omnitude.net links
- Fixed display of 0kB/s when a file was downloaded in less than 1 second
- Spaces replaced with %20 for URLS guessed based on MMP filename
- Fixed help typo "Quickly create a game game: /c"
- If #gta2gh is already the selected tab then it won't be reselected when joining games (player list won't flash)
- "Logged in as" server message is hidden