New map page with user upload

Post GTA1/GTA2 maps here (finished and work in progress).
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

New map page with user upload

Post by elypter »

i took this layout from Shazdeh, the guy who disappointed left gtamp, and improved & completed it to be able to be used for a map listing.

I added an upload script and wrote a script that loads the data from the map files. The best thing: most of the data is read directly from the .mmp file and you don't have to specify anything during upload.
the uploaded map also gets added to multiplayer pakx and online pakx automatically.

update:
new host. the link is now:
http://gtamp.com/mapscript/maplist/list.php
Last edited by elypter on 11 Mar 2015, 22:06, edited 1 time in total.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Re: New map page with user upload

Post by BenMillard »

It's really impressive work, to actually write the code and get this much-anticipated system working. Of course it's very early on and refinements, bugs and so on are to be expected. But so far, so very good!

As an experiment, I created a mockup for my own presentation of a maps list. Elypter has seen this and likes a few aspects of it.

Over the coming weeks he might help me integrate my map list with his code. It would be separate the "official" list, which would let players review both. Hopefully the best bits of each one then become the final version. (A bit like the way GHBM influenced Game Hunter.)

Well, I say "final version"... nothing really becomes final version in the GTA2 community. There's always something happening, whether it's new ideas or (more importantly) new code. 8-)
Razor
Lunatic
Lunatic
GH nick: Razor, R

Post by Razor »

where can i find tags list?
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Perhaps you could use my commandline minimap generator there? Would be great to see the whole minimap as well, in case the screenshots arent provided or just doesnt show everything.

The forum links for each map would be good add too. (didnt sektor plan to make automated map uploads on the forum too...?)
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

it would be useful indeed
does it run on linux too, especially on a server? or do you mean as a script for windows?
yur sa'nok ngeyä
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

I havent compiled it on other systems than windows yet, but i think i could try it with VirtualBox... never compiled anything on linux so.. erm... it might take a while :lol: Any tips would be good ;)
Cuban-Pete
Immortal
GH nick: Cuban-Pete

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Looks nice!

You can compile in Ubuntu (and probably other linux distro's) just with the console. Something like "g++ main.cpp" or "gcc main.c". Luckily there are many online guides/info. :)
"Mmmm, your eyes are so beautiful."
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

changes:
integration of the upload function in the layout
some advices and
file list in upload section
remove function
lock file for pakx generate
preview for uploaded maps
thumbnail generator
page generation timer
caching to json
yur sa'nok ngeyä
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Post by BenMillard »

One thing at a time, I know. :)
  1. Please sort the web page to have the most recently updated at the top:
    1. Select the most recent modified date from all the files inside the archive.
    2. Don't check the archive itself, since levels sometimes get re-packaged without changes.
    3. You might limit the check to gameplay files, so updated readme files or accidentally included stuff won't bump the listing.
  2. Download link is a long, long way from map name in entries like "tytyty.7z (2.36 MB, 2011-04-02)"
  3. It's weird for a filename not to be clickable.
  4. "Files" column doesn't have clickable filenames, yet.
  5. Please stop centring the headings.
  6. Filenames are meaningless for people to try identifying levels. Use the level name.
  7. Feel free to take any user-friendly ideas from my demo and use them in yours - that's why I made it.
False Economy
Does the system support .zip upload? Using .zip format is a lot faster and cleaner overall than .7z since it is supported by Windows.

Requiring people download and install an extra program is inconvenient and a bit obnoxious. Particularly when the favoured tools either spam up the Explorer context menu or have a licensing popup.

This is even more true for new players. They already have to do so much silly tinkering to get started.
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

BenMillard wrote:One thing at a time, I know. :)
  1. Please sort the web page to have the most recently updated at the top:
    1. Select the most recent modified date from all the files inside the archive.
    2. Don't check the archive itself, since levels sometimes get re-packaged without changes.
    3. You might limit the check to gameplay files, so updated readme files or accidentally included stuff won't bump the listing.
  2. Download link is a long, long way from map name in entries like "tytyty.7z (2.36 MB, 2011-04-02)"
  3. It's weird for a filename not to be clickable.
  4. "Files" column doesn't have clickable filenames, yet.
  5. Please stop centring the headings.
  6. Filenames are meaningless for people to try identifying levels. Use the level name.
  7. Feel free to take any user-friendly ideas from my demo and use them in yours - that's why I made it.
False Economy
Does the system support .zip upload? Using .zip format is a lot faster and cleaner overall than .7z since it is supported by Windows.

Requiring people download and install an extra program is inconvenient and a bit obnoxious. Particularly when the favoured tools either spam up the Explorer context menu or have a licensing popup.

This is even more true for new players. They already have to do so much silly tinkering to get started.
1. i dont sort them at all, thats the natural behaviour of php dir listing. i don't want to rewrite the code for that at least atm.
2.readme files are also read from mmp. the list also cant get larger than it is.
3.one map row needs some kind of header and some kind of footer. leaving out the heading would be strange and puttong the download button on top would also be confusing.
4.the icons are clickable. you can read them better when not red and they should not be that easy to find to avoid that dumb people download them instead of the map.
5.thats not really a header its rather a container caption.
6.yes thats why row1 column1 is the filename and the filename is centered and grey. i cannot put a mapname where the filename is. a file can contain multiple maps.

the map should be userfriendly for modders too so i allowed zip, 7z (and even the stupid rar) which are the most common ones. i also allowed exe for sfx archives. so its the modders choice.

my personal opinion is that if a person can and wants to install gamehunter he can also install 7zip. in 2011 one can expect from a user to have 7zip or at least winrar installed. If someone is not capable of or willing to do that he should not use a pc but buy an ipad or a xbox. Even when someone would only use .zip files i would suggest to use not the windows implementation for it. so if someone is really forced to download 7zip it's actually something good.

if everyone always would take car of the dumbness of users the web would still be "optimized" for internet explorer 6.

dumb compatibility yes but only if it doesn't hurt sane users.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

Now the search function, single map display, map pack folder display and mmp lookup with direct download works too.

search function: http://gta2dare.omnitude.net/maplist/list.php enter something in the searchbox to find a mapname (in mmp: "Description") containing this string. There is no gui for it but you can also search in any other value of mmp files + "filename" + "foldername" + "archivename" by changing the type value in the url. there are 3 ways to search: the classic substring (substr), full string compare (strict) and list wich searches if a "," seperated list contains the string (for example Tags).

single map display: http://gtamp.com/mapscript/maplist/list.php?map=lt.7z if the map is not in usermaps you need to specify the folder too

map pack folder display http://gtamp.com/mapscript/maplist/list ... =02_recent

mmp lookup with direct download http://gtamp.com/mapscript/maplist/down ... =bc_ac.mmp

everything is case sensitive and all these functions only work with the maps that are extracted automatically. many maps have to be extracted manually because the overwrite other files, are in subfolders, have invalid characters, ... .()most of My maps and bens maps(and other excluded ones) are not accessable.

if you want this to work with all maps you need to help me. i cannot and wont do this alone.
Last edited by elypter on 05 May 2011, 19:40, edited 1 time in total.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

3 quick comments.

why case sensitive? if I enter 'race' it shows nothing, that is not user friendly.

This is not useful: "list generated in 0.0287079811096 seconds", you better make that 0.02 or shorter or leave it out.

when searching "Race" I get a whole list with the same map, but only saying 3player, 4player, 5player etc. Not nice...
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

there were some problems without case sensitivity but i implemented it now. it was not a "feature" ;)
the timing is for debugging, i dont think it does any harm down there.
the multiple occurence of one map and the missing of others was only a bug; fixed.

edit: now i even made a uniqueness check.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

I made the 'gta2 maps' header image. Perhaps a custom favicon for on the website is also nice, so I quickly made this little one:
gta2 maps 16.png
gta2 maps 16.png (271 Bytes) Viewed 51521 times
To use it on the website, just rename it to favicon.png and link it in the html. Google knows more. ;)
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

thanks, it looks nice on the page [respect]
yur sa'nok ngeyä
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

there is an advanced search form too now [remote]
http://gta2dare.omnitude.net/maplist/search.html
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

nice!

when clicking on the folder icon, it gives an error page (not allowed)

like this one: http://gta2dare.omnitude.net/_maplump/_ ... .zip/data/
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

yeah, unfortunately. something with the permission setting doesnt work atm. i bet its also the reason why highslide doesnt work.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

i am also building a new page for the packs:
http://gta2dare.omnitude.net/maplist/packs.php
yur sa'nok ngeyä
zbigz
Ped
Ped