Pistol & Shotgun Redesign

Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Re: Pistol & Shotgun Redesign

Post by Sektor »

There's example code for most of those powerup ideas, I think the car punch is the only one that I'm not sure how to do in GTA2 script.
elypter wrote:btw, the most important thing when doing multiple projects at once is good organisation.
That's the hardest thing. I only have one GTA2 folder but I have various backups of the original files when I need to restore them quick. I've ended up with like 10 versions of GTA2 Radar and the latest one is missing code that's in some of the earlier versions.

[sm-31] [sm-31] [sm-31]
Devastator
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Devastator »

Where can I find some of those examples? Some of the headier code can be difficult to find here on these forums, & this seems to be the only real community dedicated to GTA2 modding.

So are you saying you can actually script a punch that "throws" peds? That would be awesome if so.
& for the car punch- I'm not sure how exactly the standard punch works in engine, if it's actually based off positioning or what. But I imagine if you could temporarily "take away" standard punching & substitute it with a "punch" that is effectively a very short range invisible projectile, that uses the punching/throwing animation, you could create something that could affect both peds & cars, due to actually being projectile/ damage/ effects based, than whatever the default code is. But I'm not sure if you guys have even figured out yet how to do new projectiles or damage types, so that may not be viable yet if ever.

It'd be cool if the default punching could be reworked to have a reload time, like the rate of the pistol. As it exists in game as soon as someone starts punching you they can kill you almost instantly. I imagine in theory this may be due to the punch inflicting damage when the player/ a ped is in X location in front of the one punching, making the damage inflicted continuous, rather than based off of timed intervals. If punching could be reworked to incorporate the invisible close range projectile premise I described with a reload time, that'd be pretty cool.
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Post by elypter »

Devastator wrote:Where can I find some of those examples? Some of the headier code can be difficult to find here on these forums, & this seems to be the only real community dedicated to GTA2 modding.
a lot of the stuff should be in this thread http://gtamp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=700
Devastator wrote:So are you saying you can actually script a punch that "throws" peds?
i made an explode punch in tyfo army lite but if you manually code the movement of the ped this should be possible too
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Devastator
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Devastator »

How did you make the train blue in Tyfo Army? Do you know of any palette swapping software?
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

unfortunatel i dont remember. i have probably just used color swap in gimp or photoshop and then importet a new palette for each sprite. trains are not supported by the remap command only regular cars and chars. to make one of those support palette swapping it has to be drawn with one of the original palettes or it has to be recalculated for one the original palettes which often looks ugly. gimp is the best tool for this because it can convet images to a palette and generate optimized palettes of arbitrary size and they can be manually edited
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Devastator
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Devastator »

Wait, you know how character remaps cutoff after or around 52? Could one import pallettes to say make an orange or black cop? All cop graphics after 4 are green vested.
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

if those correspond to actual physical palettes then i think there is no reason why not. if cops use the yellow and blue swat sprites then the physical palette should be 40. try to modify the ones left and right from it. if it has something to do with virtual palettes or hardcoding then i dont know how to do it with stytool. maybe TM knows more.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Devastator
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Devastator »

I'm reuploading the Redesigns with the Tracer rounds for Bullet weapons. I find they're both more visually appealing, with the added bonus they increase readability of enemy fire (like from Cops) when you're in your car. & they somehow make Bullet weapons just feel more fun in my opinion, due to conveying a greater sense of power. There's nothing greater than lancing a frightened civilian with a tracer round.
Attachments
GunRedesignswTracers.rar
(6.38 MiB) Downloaded 533 times
Tracerrounds.png
Last edited by Devastator on 21 Jun 2017, 17:07, edited 2 times in total.
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

they might even be more powerful if the hitboxes are based on sprites
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Devastator
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Devastator »

I think the hit boxes are based on sprites, it may make them hit sooner, maaay anyway. But the amount of projectiles on screen at a time from a continuous stream is the same, 8 bullets. & They move fast enough that you'd likely only every be hit/ hit anything directly head on anyway. What I really need to do is take screenshots of both normal bullets & the tracers & see if the spacing between the two is the same average. If so tracers wouldn't have any more of an edge over normal rounds due to requiring an even amount of traveling distance.

EDIT: Reuploaded the zip, I noticed I didn't make a complete green outline on the silenced Machine gun around the Silencer, so I fixed that.
Devastator
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Devastator »

Did a touch up on the tracer bullets. You can't tell by these screen shots but the three slits I created make the bullets in motion harder to focus on & actually look like a projectile in motion. The prior iteration produced too solid a look & made them feel more like laser beams than a solid projectile.

EDIT: These may look better for standard play, but any script with enemies that have no reload time looks better with the completely solid bullets.
Attachments
TracerParticles.rar
(6.38 MiB) Downloaded 553 times
Tracer Particles2.png
Tracer Particles2.png (294.19 KiB) Viewed 31861 times
Tracer Particles.png
Tracer Particles.png (353.52 KiB) Viewed 31861 times
Last edited by Devastator on 21 Jun 2017, 17:06, edited 1 time in total.
Devastator
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Devastator »

I just caught a sty glitch in both residential of the normal tracers zip I linked & industrial of the tracer particles I linked. If the gun jeep machine gun isn't loaded into the sty file right dummy gun jeeps won't spawn. So here's both zips again to make sure dummy gun jeep spawns happen on wanted level 6.

EDIT: Correcting the old download links for the tracers too.
Attachments
TracerParticles.rar
GunRedesignswTracers.rar
Devastator
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Devastator »

Did this for fun in the event I could ever figure out how to hack the .exe to add a hand held water cannon to the game.
Attachments
PortableWaterCannon.png
PortableWaterCannon.png (2.61 KiB) Viewed 31653 times
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

you could try to use cheat engine to rip the watercannon of a firetruck off and remote control it. if you figure that out it should be possible to do the same with pointer magic in the mission script
yur sa'nok ngeyä
BeepBoop
Car Jacker
Car Jacker
GH nick: BeepBoop

Post by BeepBoop »

There is a firetruck mission in the 2nd level that makes you turn a water cannon into a fire cannon (Zaibatsu mission). Use cheat engine to figure out what value changes when the water cannon changes. Find out if the handheld flamethrower has a similar value set then change it into a water cannon. I'll see later on if I can find the area where that value maybe hiding.
BeepBoop
Car Jacker
Car Jacker
GH nick: BeepBoop

Post by BeepBoop »

Ok, did some testing and it seems that there are extra weapon slots. I tried to add a water cannon and it just seems to crash. I also figured out how to edit the weapon values so a pistol would shoot Molotovs when selected instead of the normal pistol round.
Devastator
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Devastator »

Hmm, I wonder why exactly it crashes :(
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

BeepBoop wrote:I also figured out how to edit the weapon values so a pistol would shoot Molotovs when selected instead of the normal pistol round.
thats cool. could you share the addresses you have to modify or can you wirte a little test script?

it would be quite useful if you could lay mines on foot or car stoppers poweups or throw footbals
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Devastator
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Devastator »

Yeah I agree with elypter. If I could make grenades drop car mines it'd be great for this map I'm working on.
Devastator
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Devastator »

Been designing new gun designs for the map I'm working on for fun.
From left to right top to bottom:

Machinegun (designed to look compact due to it being one of the fastest things you can run with. Think of it as a machine pistol).
Electro baton (taser like design).
Pistol designed to look like a minigun due to the pistol having no reload time on this map.
Electrogun.
Fllamethrower.
& Silenced machinegun, designed to look like a heavy machinegun due to having no reload time.
Attachments
gunsformymap.png
gunsformymap.png (6.08 KiB) Viewed 31434 times