Pistol & Shotgun Redesign

Devastator
Hitman
Hitman

Pistol & Shotgun Redesign

Post by Devastator »

I was going to continue working on my multiplayer maps but I ended up getting distracted & spent close to an hour redesigning the shotgun. The shotgun & the pistol are the two graphics in the game that have always kind of 'irked' me, due to looking messy or not polished enough in design. So a few days back I redesigned the pistol, & today I did the shotgun.

At the top of both pictures are the original graphics from the game,
Attachments
GunRedesigns.rar
Replacement .sty's (make back ups!)
(6.38 MiB) Downloaded 679 times
Pistol Redesign
Pistol Redesign
pistols.png (1.85 KiB) Viewed 45317 times
Shotgun Redesign, with alternate reloading grip positions
Shotgun Redesign, with alternate reloading grip positions
Shotgun Redesign.png (1.96 KiB) Viewed 45319 times
Last edited by Devastator on 13 Jun 2017, 18:01, edited 3 times in total.
Devastator
Hitman
Hitman

Re: Pistol & Shotgun Redesign

Post by Devastator »

Feel free to use these, just know that if you *copy/paste* them in Microsoft paint it will destroy the GTA2 palette by converting all color values to microsoft paint's values. If you put the gun graphic with a corrupted palette into the .sty file it'll make the gun appear translucent in game.

EDIT:
Touched up on the forward grip shotgun. The original is also missing one green pixel on the underside.
Attachments
touchup.png
touchup.png (1.83 KiB) Viewed 45317 times
BeepBoop
Car Jacker
Car Jacker
GH nick: BeepBoop

Post by BeepBoop »

Wow, cool redesigns. How did you edit them so well? Do you think you can make a rocket launcher redesign?
[gang]
Devastator
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Devastator »

BeepBoop wrote:Wow, cool redesigns. How did you edit them so well? Do you think you can make a rocket launcher redesign?
[gang]
Thank you [gang] Pretty much gotta do it one pixel at a time. When I was a kid I spent a lot of time in windows paint. In fact I made like 30 weapons I wanted to add to GTA2(not knowing the modding limitations at the time). My biggest *irk* here is the shading, which is hard to get right given my skill level. But when you look at the sprite from far enough away, it's actual resolution size, it doesn't look too bad.

I didn't have an issue with the rocket launcher, but since you brought it up I always thought it looked a little funny having a machine gun clip. Now I'll probably do some redesigns for that too; What would you change about it?

Touched up the pistols to make them look less square, making them look less like the machinegun & closer to the pickup sprite (excluding the ones I gave the clip too, which I think looks cool for a future pistol)
Attachments
Both with big & small barrels
Both with big & small barrels
pistolstouchup.png (3.65 KiB) Viewed 45303 times
Devastator
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Devastator »

I completed this rocket redesign in about an hour.

EDIT:
Also just drew it up with a shoulder rest.

//Now I'll probably draw a version with, instead of a bottom grip, a hand rest grip against the flat of the top of the launcher, with a giant rocket holding magazine/ drum.

////First pic is the last one I did. I think I'm done with Rocket Launchers for a while

////Alright, I lied. Last one(first one is the last one I did). Rocket Mag with exposed rocket heads.

/////There's a misplaced pixel on the top left scope in my (now) second to last pic.
I shortened the barrel of the top left one & it quite possibly looks the best out of all of them.

(The Red in the exposed missile launchers will corrupt the graphics in the .sty, unless you know how to do palettes, which I don't. There's a few black pixels that become transparent in all the graphics too, but it's only like one or two; I'm updating the last pic so that there shouldn't be a transparency issue)
Attachments
RLfinal.png
RLfinal.png (1.86 KiB) Viewed 45293 times
SnubTankTip.png
SnubTankTip.png (1.9 KiB) Viewed 45293 times
JustTheTip.png
JustTheTip.png (6.05 KiB) Viewed 45294 times
Grip & Clip
Grip & Clip
Clip&Grip.png (11.26 KiB) Viewed 45295 times
With & Without Grip
With & Without Grip
RocketRedesign.png (2.82 KiB) Viewed 45297 times
With Shoulder Rest
With Shoulder Rest
ShoulderRest.png (10.88 KiB) Viewed 45297 times
BeepBoop
Car Jacker
Car Jacker

Post by BeepBoop »

I like it. Do I have to use a .sty editor to use them or is there another way?
Devastator
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Devastator »

Yeah, the GTA2 sty tool is the one I use.
http://gtamp.com/gta2/tools/

Have you used it before? It's best you make a new page in the sprite list, move whatever weapon sprites you want to remap to that page. Make sure the X & Y coordinates of the sprite data corresponds to the picture scale, & don't override the palette, just leave them alone.

If you copy one of my multiple sheets it'd probably be best to open it in windows paint, take the selection tool(or edit:,) select all, move the gun you want to use into the upper left corner of the picture, & then deselect it, go to the corner of the drawing area & grab the button that lets you shrink the canvas size, so that only the gun you want is what's visible.

I was gonna do some more touching up on that rocket launcher design by shrinking the top grip just a little bit, but I got distracted with continuing work on my map. Glad you like it :)
BeepBoop
Car Jacker
Car Jacker

Post by BeepBoop »

One last question. Are you able to change to the green tint around the weapon into a different color? I know there is an orange version for vehicle weapons, and it would be cool to change it to blue or red instead.

Thanks for replying.
Devastator
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Devastator »

You'd probably need to create an entirely new palette with all the colors the guns use, plus any new outlines. I don't quite know how to do that.

When you try to load it using that sty editor, if it says it's in the wrong Bit size let me know, it was tricky for me to work around that. I had to use the program graphics gale to copy/paste my new gun into the respective exported "GTA2_USER_OBJECT_xxx" bitmap image from the sty file, in order to preserve the proper palette colors & maintain the right bit size.

It sucks, I created some new graphical tiles I couldn't seem to implement without crashing my game.
They were supposed to be an electrified conveyor belt, designed to deter people from camping at the pick up locations of the starting weapons (because once you drop into the arena you can't get back to the area you restart in).
It'd be cool to see this put to use if someone could implement it. It's palette 17 in ste.sty
Attachments
Electrified Conveyor Belt
Electrified Conveyor Belt
RollingRail.png (12.2 KiB) Viewed 45252 times
Cuban-Pete
Immortal
GH nick: Cuban-Pete

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Wow, nice work! They look very GTA2-stylish. [respect]

What for magic can you do with the silenced machine gun?

Will you also change the sounds?
"Mmmm, your eyes are so beautiful."
Devastator
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Devastator »

Thank you! [respect]

I'd probably only change the sounds for personal use if I ever got around to it, due to the fact you'd need backups or a copied GTA2 folder to use them. I haven't really experimented with sound design much either.

The silencer on the Silenced Machine Gun always bugged me.

How's this?
Attachments
newSilencer.png
newSilencer.png (1.57 KiB) Viewed 45234 times
Devastator
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Devastator »

Did a few variants: with scope, with collapsible stock, & with both.
I'd figure it'd have that kind of equipment rigged to it given that it's for covert combat.

EDIT: Here's the latest of all the guns. If you guys want me to make custom .sty files for you to use in single player let me know. I made the back of the pistol less square, & I made the dual pistols look like a distinct type of pistol, due to having a faster rate of fire.
Attachments
Latest
Latest
Latest.png (6.54 KiB) Viewed 45213 times
Improved the shading of the stock a bit here, moved silencer back more
Improved the shading of the stock a bit here, moved silencer back more
BetterStockBAr.png (1.53 KiB) Viewed 45219 times
SilencedMGVariants.png
SilencedMGVariants.png (9.22 KiB) Viewed 45222 times
Cuban-Pete
Immortal
GH nick: Cuban-Pete

Post by Cuban-Pete »

[sm-wink] NICE! :D
"Mmmm, your eyes are so beautiful."
Devastator
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Devastator »

Thank you :D [respect]

EDIT: Dual Pistols in my latest pic were missing one green pixel near the clip. Corrected here.
Attachments
GTA2_USER OBJECT_1288.png
GTA2_USER OBJECT_1288.png (1.49 KiB) Viewed 45166 times
Devastator
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Devastator »

I decided to make the Vehicle Flame Thrower look more like a turret, & the vehicle machine guns more distinct than the S-Uzi, to reduce redundancy. (The second is supposed to be more in line with the fact the guns are mounted in the headlights/ headlight area, & not actually held like a conventional gun). With the VMG redesign I wanted to convey a sense of power in the guns, given that they are very powerful in game, & have a huge muzzle flash.
Attachments
VFTnVMG.png
VFTnVMG.png (2.67 KiB) Viewed 45157 times
Devastator
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Devastator »

Here's an Electrogun Redesign I made for my map (original is first). The shading may be a bit off here, I'll have to test in game after work.
Attachments
ElectroGunRedesign.png
ElectroGunRedesign.png (2.03 KiB) Viewed 45148 times
Devastator
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Devastator »

My ADHD had me start to many projects at once, so I got around to focusing solely on the weapons redesigns so I could get back to work finishing my maps.
These .sty's should work fine, just be sure to back up the default ones before putting these in the data folder.
Here's a preview, (some of the redesigns are just a few pixels, like with the grenade or Machinegun).
Attachments
GunRedesigns.rar
(6.38 MiB) Downloaded 677 times
RedesignPreview.png
RedesignPreview.png (6.71 KiB) Viewed 44967 times
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Post by elypter »

cool. i hope it will be possible to make additional weapons out of it with the help of new scripting possibilities.

btw, the most important thing when doing multiple projects at once is good organisation. i, for example had a separate gta2 version for each map so i always have a clean data folder. i even wrote batch files that automatically compressed all map files when updating the map. and even if you do one project after the other its very useful to be able to find stuff afterwards if you want to fix or improve something
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Post by Sektor »

Some nice subtle improvements. I'll be sure to try them when I get time.
Devastator
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Devastator »

Thank you Sektor.

& I appreciate the advice Elypter.

I have at least 15 folders with the GTA2.exe & required files in them, but my organization isn't as it ought to be.

& If I knew anything about how to use Cheat Engine & the exact memory addresses I'd be tinkering away at trying to add new weapons & power ups.
Power ups like "Tune Up" that repair all damage to your car when you drive over it. A Speed Up power up that makes you run pretty fast on foot like in the first GTA. "Rocket Boots" to Super Jump around the level (like when you're hit with a rocket, but without dying, temporarily being stunned on the ground when you land). & "Killing Blows," (I'd make it use that unused Skull & Cross Bones graphic in the sty file)all punches kill instantly, & punching a car would push it to the brink of almost being ready to explode. But people wouldn't just fall over dead when you punch them- you know when someone flies through the air when you hit them with the corner of a car, or they get hit by a shockwave, sometimes splatting once they're done being thrown through the air? It'd look like that visually, but it'd be an instant kill every time.
I won't get into my weapon ideas now, because they're too abundant & convoluted.

All these ideas would probably be pretty hard to code into the game I'd imagine though.

My hope is to some day make games that play very similarly to GTA2, in terms of looks & mechanics.
Did you know there's only around five or so games that have the same visual look as the first two GTAs?
Take No Prisoners, MageSlayer, Machine Hunter, and one other where you can play as a Wizard in a futuristic setting. Loaded for the playstation has a similiar look but doesn't quite count. Same case with Death Rally.
3D environments with 2D sprites from a top down perspective never really caught on, but it's one of my favorite visual styles.