Gouranga's Castle by Jones

Post GTA1/GTA2 maps here (finished and work in progress).
Jones
Psycho
Psycho

Gouranga's Castle by Jones

Post by Jones »

Download: gta2dare.omnitude.net Gouranga's Castle

This map has 5 mini games. You chose the game you want by walking on one of the icons on the main island.

1: Car Rain - be the first to run to the end of a course with some cars raining down and conveyors that push you into water.

2: King of the Hill - stay on the hill until your counter reaches 1200 (40 seconds at some speeds and it's in total, not in a row).

3: Slap 'n Berry - punch 4 peds to make them follow you to the centre, sometimes they get stuck and players can steal them back too easily.

4: Football - This is a soccer map with a working goal detection system. First team to get 4 goals wins. Goals are detected by checking if some underground peds have fired in the goal area. They fire in the goal area because they are given the objective to destroy the ball.

5: Revolt! - very basic competitive tower defense, just shoot as many peds with firetruck canon as you can.
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Re: Gouranga's Castle by Jones

Post by BenMillard »

Sektor wrote:I'm just posting it because it was fun and had some interesting code.
+1!

I tested this with Jones and the football game worked very well. You can see in a video of MultiSlayer Football by Kamil that players have to do everything manually. This leads to slightly cheating the centre kick after each goal. Losing count of score also happens.

Coding the football game to work automatically is on my to-do list! Sektor's suggestions to make it more robust sound good. If you get good code we should write it into a re-usable form as a tutorial on my site.
Jones
Psycho
Psycho

Post by Jones »

I don't think your suggestions concerning goal detection will work Sektor. The ball is deleted as soon the goal is detected, so it wouldn't help you waiting any longer. I am also not sure if more peds would help. As far I have tested it, the problem lies in the fact the ball gets stuck in walls and ceiling, but peds only shoot on it when the ball reaches floor. I will upload a new version in a few days, where I have tried to improve map design to circumvent the sticking.

Ps: thanks for the post

edit: Resetting the peds could help, but I assume it won't fix it.
CarThief
Hitman
Hitman
GH nick: CarThief

Post by CarThief »

Hm, thats a pretty ingenious way to detect a football i must say. People sure find their way around GTA2's limitations in the most crazy of ways, heh.

Played the map with someone, found the football bit kind of the most engaging of them all, though they're all quite small and after 1-2 of every game one already tends to get bored.
It might also help to have a noticable health bar/progress counter of some kind on the 'tower defence' minigame with the Fire Trucks, it went on for so long my finger hurt from constantly pressing the fire button. The waiting didnt help much either.
An exit/i give up button of some kind would also help greatly, in case the wrong game gets picked or people get bored early.

Hm... Using the ball-detecting methods implemented here one could make a very interesting football map of some kind.
Jones
Psycho
Psycho

Post by Jones »

Have updated the map on omnitude. Now also includes sequential's pretty football field.
It might also help to have a noticable health bar/progress counter of some kind on the 'tower defence' minigame with the Fire Trucks, it went on for so long my finger hurt from constantly pressing the fire button. The waiting didnt help much either.
Thats why I haven't made this map public yet. Its still alpha and I have made that mini game in a very short time and played/tested it only once with Ben.
If there are more mini games you will have more diversion and hopefully more you like :D
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Post by Sektor »

Sorry if I brought attention to it earlier than you wanted. I just saw it on omnitude and thought it needed more exposure.

You now have permission to change the first post. I updated the football map screenshot.
Jones
Psycho
Psycho

Post by Jones »

I have updated the football mini game, haven't seen a stuck ball so far. New , more simple solution (/map design) seems to work great :)
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Would love to try it but the download won't open in WinRAR. It's 1.88MB from download link in your first message.
Jones
Psycho
Psycho

Post by Jones »

I thought newest WinRar would support 7-zip files [sm-58] Either you install 7-zip or you can copy the link and let GH extract the archive. If both doesn't work I will upload a zip for you ;)
Pyro
Immortal
GH nick: Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Surprised you're still using WinRAR after all this time :P Been using 7-Zip for ages now and no problems with it.
Galactic Boy
Immortal

Post by Galactic Boy »

It's very beautiful map. I like the "King of the Hill" game a lot. :)
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Was using WinRAR 4.1b5 for 64-bit mode. Updated to WinRAR 4.20 in 64-bit and it opened fine.
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

Football goal detection works great now. Adding underground ramps to force the ball into range was a good idea. I haven't needed to use the reset (except when the ball went into the locker room). I wonder if there could be AI goal keepers that just walk up and down.

In addition to the "realistic" mode, you could have an alternative version with mines all over the field or cops that chase you if they see you punch a player.
Pyro
Immortal
GH nick: Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Sektor wrote:Mines all over the field could be interesting
Sounds like a typical game of football here in the UK then :P
Razor
Lunatic
Lunatic
GH nick: Razor, R

Post by Razor »

tell me exacly how score system works please : ) with command lines.
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

RTFM - "Read The Flippin' .Mis!"
Jones
Psycho
Psycho

Post by Jones »

Basically its quite easy: Behind the goal there is a ped which tries to shoot on the ball. He is caged and can only shoot on the ball if its in goal, otherwise its too far away. If he shot it, we increase the score, reset the ball and reset the ped's weapon (else it would crash, if he try to shoot on the deleted one), this happens on line 585 ff for both goals:
[mis] SET_CHAR_OBJECTIVE ( footMan1,DESTROY_OBJECT, footy)
//IF(IS_CHAR_FIRING_IN_AREA(footMan1,165.5,27.0,1.0,4.0,4.0))
IF(IS_CHAR_FIRING_IN_AREA(footMan1,159.5,27.0,2.0,4.0,4.0))
++goals_team2
MAKE_CHAR_DO_NOTHING(footMan1)
REMOVE_WEAPONS (footMan1)
DELETE_ITEM(footy)
footy = CREATE_OBJ (172.0, 27.0, 2.0) 0 FOOTY END
SET p_data1=1
SET p1_data1=1
SET p2_data1=1
SET p3_data1=1
SET p4_data1=1
SET p5_data1=1
SET p6_data1=1
DISPLAY_MESSAGE(1100)
GIVE_WEAPON(footMan1,MACHINE_GUN)
ENDIF[/mis]
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Hi, you dont need to press the map image saving button to save screenshots in my Epic GTA2 Map Editor, or it leaves the white transparent layer visible there. Here is a tutorial i made about how the white transparent layer thing is used correctly: http://epicgta2.omnitude.net/tutorials/mapimage.php
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

I took those screenshots and I wrote the first post, I just set the author to Jones, so he could update it if he wanted. I have used the proper screenshot method before but I was lazy this time since I needed to take 6 images. Using your tutorial method would actually be faster once I get used to it.