Maps of maps

Post GTA1/GTA2 maps here (finished and work in progress).
Salamander
Janitor
Janitor
GH nick: Salamander
KingSalamander
Sally
[00]

Maps of maps

Post by Salamander »

Where can I find an archive of maps of maps with marked weapons and shit? As high quality and large as possible.
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Re: Maps of maps

Post by Sektor »

There isn't a complete one. At least it should be easy to make them now using TM's Epic Map Editor.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Load map with Epic GTA2 Map Editor, go to File -> Save -> Image -> Map Image. Select rectangle, adjust camera altitude and double right click. In addition you can resize the weapon icons by going to Options -> Script objects -> Scale. Maximum image size 8192x8192 !
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

I'm getting 0 byte jpg files when doing that. No error message displayed on screen. Saving as bmp works. My system is running low on RAM and swap space.

It would be nice to replace these low res images:

http://gtamp.com/maps/images/tinytown.jpg
http://gtamp.com/maps/images/mp2-comp.jpg
http://gtamp.com/maps/images/mp5-comp.jpg

They must have been saved in higher resolution but I only have those low res versions. I assume Kamil made them.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

@Sektor, was the JPG the default format? Seems like i need to set it to BMP then, if it causes problems.

Here is example by using the "Layout 1" from scaling options:
Tiny Town_(2624x1376).jpg
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

BMP is default, I just wanted to smaller size.

Flat weapons might look better than slightly rotated. If you can't already chose the frame/angle in Epic Map Editor then there's another idea for options.

That screenshot is at least better than the low res one. Thanks.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Sektor wrote:Flat weapons might look better than slightly rotated. If you can't already chose the frame/angle in Epic Map Editor then there's another idea for options.
WHat do you mean by "flat weapons", i havent rotated them in any way in that pic. The animation frame is the first frame i think. If you want to change the angle, then select all objects and press Q/E to rotate them, but i dont see why you need that.
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

They appear to be at a different angle than the powerups but I guess that's just how they were drawn.

The weapon icons with green border would look better (on some screenshots) than the weapon pickups. So I guess that was the real request, an option to show the icon rather than the object.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

You mean the vehicle machine gun. It's animation starts 90 degree off. I think its fine because then its easy to see those, they looks almost same as machine guns.

Yeah weapon icons could look better... i trashed that idea for some reason, mabe because there arent all icons for all weapons?
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

I meant Z axis is different on guns than it is on health, invul etc but that is just the way it was drawn.

There is an icon for each weapon.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

? looks stupid;
awtf.jpg
awtf.jpg (33.45 KiB) Viewed 28686 times
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

The hand looks better pointing up but you knew that already. Why did you rotate it?
Pyro
Immortal
GH nick: Pyro

Post by Pyro »

I think Sektor means the icon for a weapon you currently have equipped in-game with the green outline to it and not the powerup icon.
Salamander
Janitor
Janitor
KingSalamander
Sally
[00]

Post by Salamander »

Thank you very much!
TM where do I send the prostitutes to?

Regarding the weapons, I'd be interested in seeing the proposed icon version (Sektor, comment number errrr...... this thing doesn't number comments? ) as well as a version using real weapons as now but using the frame where the weapon lies flat, not rotated as in the example above.

As for image quality, I strongly suggest that JPEG should use no chroma subsampling (4:4:4 - this is generally a waste on photographs, but very appropriate for screenshots and images of this type) and if any resizing or transformation is performed then that the lanczos3 interpolator is used.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Oh i get it now... you mean the sprites 3d rendered images animation rotation, they are all flat there? except the mines, i think i used the first frame, because it will work good for all sty files that way, i could make option to give you ability to choose each frame separately, but is that really worth it? i dont think you can make them any better, i took a lot of time for those back then, and that was best i came up with. still, i dont really see a problem, they look fine to me, except i could add those other weapon icons there as an option! i still have a vague memory of something horrible happening last time when i thought of adding that option... hmm... oh yeah! it will conflict with the shop icons :roll: they already use those weapon icons.
Salamander wrote:TM where do I send the prostitutes to?
:| :? :roll: :P :lol:
Salamander wrote:As for image quality, I strongly suggest that JPEG should use no chroma subsampling (4:4:4 - this is generally a waste on photographs, but very appropriate for screenshots and images of this type) and if any resizing or transformation is performed then that the lanczos3 interpolator is used.
I have no idea how to manage those... none of the programs i have can let me use any magic like that. I doubt you can see the difference anyways if the quality is high.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Sektor wrote:I meant Z axis is different on guns than it is on health, invul etc but that is just the way it was drawn.
Actually, it's called X axis for the sprites animations! Thats why i got confused. Z axis is what you see when you rotate the sprites in the editor with Q/E. Although, how could you have knew my coordinate system (some people love Y as up axis for some odd reason), though, it would still be X axis there :-)
Salamander
Janitor
Janitor
KingSalamander
Sally
[00]

Post by Salamander »

I'm guessing you use libjpeg (preferably libjpeg-turbo), then you can control subsampling:
http://libjpeg-turbo.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/libjpeg-turbo/trunk/libjpeg.txt wrote:cinfo->comp_info[0].v_samp_factor = 1;
cinfo->comp_info[0].h_samp_factor = 1;
http://libjpeg-turbo.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/libjpeg-turbo/trunk/usage.txt wrote:CAUTION: For this setting to be useful, be sure to pass an argument of
-sample 1x1 to cjpeg to disable chrominance subsampling. Otherwise, the
default subsampling level (2x2, AKA "4:2:0") will be used.
Open both sample images below in a new tab to compare, because when viewed inline the forum re-compresses the no-subsampling one so they end up looking identical.
Attachments
Subsampling 4:4:4 (off), compression 90
Subsampling 4:4:4 (off), compression 90
Subsampling 4:2:0, compression 90
Subsampling 4:2:0, compression 90
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

It's hard to see the difference (even after clicking them). Maybe the grass looks a little better in 2nd picture but I wouldn't notice unless I was searching for it.

As for axis, I think I was referring to them the way GTA2 uses them, x and y are 2D, horizontal and vertical and z is the 3rd dimension. If they were 3D weapons you could tilt them that way but since they are 2D sprites, that's not possible (unless you do the Phantom Zone effect but that would be crazy).

I forgot that you used icons for the shops but they are orange border and Tiny Town, Face Off and Hidden Surprise don't have shops, so green border icons should be ok as an option. Still the way you have it now looks fine and is much better than my low res examples.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

@Salamander, WOW! the other JPG looks like PNG... omg... i have always dreamt of having such a good quality. @Sektor, look at the texts in those images! yellow and green text changes color a lot. basically all "pixel precise" lines look awesome (the lamp for example).

My face: :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock:

Here is the difference image if you cant see it:
diff.jpg
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Post by BenMillard »

What TM said.

If I show weapons on a map, I always show the object you'll actually see when you get to that part of the map, rather than the HUD equivalent. Looking for a row of 5 small hearts is wrong; you actually look for a huge red "love heart" pill type thing.

The current solution for car shops is good. The texturing and architecture should make them apparent but it helps a lot in levels which didn't try that hard.