Tiny Tiny Town Army

Post GTA1/GTA2 maps here (finished and work in progress).
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Tiny Tiny Town Army

Post by elypter »

Tiny Tiny Town Army

It is largely based on Tiny Tiny Town which was designed to concentrate action in a smaller space. Besides that it is also designed for Swat up to Army wanted levels. It also turned out to be a good place to implement many of the features i was thinking of. So it is well playable without army too. Some features even turn out to be more useful in a calmer environment.
tyty_army.jpg
Download , Homepage

Most of the features are not tied to the the map and could be regarded as inspiration for other maps. If someone wants to use something from this map for his own map i can help porting it.

Feature list(I probably forgot some features. It is not easy to keep track over everything.)
General
  • Most cars are replaced by modded versions or completely different ones. (none of the cars was created by me but some of them took)
  • traffic doesn't brake for you. so be careful on roads.
  • cop chase speed has been reduced a bit. this minimizes some of these über rage attacts where they push you back 100 meters sometimes.
  • when siren is on in a car you immediately get back in after trying to exit. this is good for car rocket. but you could kill yourself easily too. maybe gonna fix this but not sure.
  • mines and oil disappears after certain time
  • player starts with wanted level 4 and gets equipped with dual pistol.
  • Tanker trailer that explodes large after a little damage
  • Transporter trailer that is swirling around when pushed. it kills everything that is not in a car
  • bankvan: your score rises when you are in it. and you are not being chased while you're in it ("bribe van")
  • Hot Dog Van: VMG + "death to ice cream vans"
  • Ice-Cream Van explodes when entering + "taste my wrath ice cream boy"
  • Pickup,U-Jerk, Van, TV Van: turned into trailers: peds still drive around in them but they can be hooked up and used as bomb carriers.
  • Taxi1 & 2 drive you around the city when you press horn
  • Bus has jammed accelerator. it will explode when it gets too slow
  • Box Truck: made it stronger (antistrength: f0.510) and changed carhandling that turns it into a ped killer when pressing hand brake.
Powerups
  • Powerup GTA2 logo: car repair
  • Powerup Respekt: No collision
  • Powerup Bribe: bribe
  • Powerup kill frenzy: army wanted level
  • Powerup Fist: explode punch
Gang cars
  • Garbage Truck: changed door type, planed: garbage gang gang with shotguns and pistols
    Pacifier: can drive over cars, withstands 3 rockets, bullet proof, planed: army gang: machinegun
  • Fire Truck: withstands 1 rocket, is flame proof, gives you flamethrower and vehicle flame thrower, fire gang: flamethrower and you will be extinguished when on fire.
  • medicar: planed: medi gang: electro baton and punching, makes you invincible while the gang is alive.
  • Limo1 & 2: gives you an elvis gang: they are dressed correctly, follow you, dont die, but don't attac either to make them not too strong.
new vehicles
  • USAF nuclear truck, the one in the map has 1 instant bomb (KRSBUS/Karma Bus)
  • Hummer, can drive over cars (Minx/dart)
  • plane, cannot fly yet (Morgan/Morton)
  • urbania, a very small car (Morris/Maurice)
  • Speedy Limo, very vulnerable to any damage but bullet, flame and rocket proof ----------- (Messer/Schmidt)
  • Neudrag, car with extreme thrust (JEFFREY)
simple car modifications
  • big bug: can drive over cars, changed car handling so it can steer very fast and it withstands 1 rocket (f0.900)(good in combination with vmg)
  • b type: modified car handling
  • Tow Truck: changed carhandling and axis position to make it possible to attach trailers to it.
  • BOXTRUCK, TOWTRUCK, TRUKCAB1, TRUKCAB2: vehicle mines and carbomb
  • Armed Land Roamer: more thrust and strength
  • Special Agent Car: bullet proof
  • Swat van: no collision
  • Tank: gives you Rocket launcher.
  • Dementia: changed car handling and door type
random old and new ideas or already complete code for tiny tiny town armageddon
-Bus: planed: hooligan that is vandalizing after being thrown out by pressing horn.
-helping taxi passenger
-scripted wanted levels:
-wanted levels are triggered by the time you have wanted level 6. i will maybe add a bot death trigger and individual wanted levels. (for testing the time periods are very short)
-scripted wanted level 7: you're being chased by an apc with 4 rocket launcher members, 4 flamethrower members and 4 punchers. its a bit hard to make one working gang out of them and put them into a vehicle, so please report strange behaviors.
-scripted wanted level 8: you're being chased by a driven nuclear load that will blow up when it comes close enough.
-i also have ideas for more wanted levels
-a civil tanker truck that blows up when you shoot it. (atm the trailer only gets attached when you are near it and not near enough and it can only drive in one direction)
-a modified version of sektors supertank. you activate & rearrange the turrets by pressing the horn.
-a flying plane
-Land Roamer: planed: turn it into a super jeep like sektors supertank
-make the doors usable
//for tyty army:
-bikes and convertibles
-electro gun protection
-car passenger weapon
//both are hardly possible without mis2
Last edited by elypter on 21 Feb 2011, 21:19, edited 1 time in total.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Re: Tiny Tiny Town Army

Post by BenMillard »

Technically interesting but not playable, on my 1st time trying.
  • There are so many threats to players, they are very vulnerable after respawn.
  • Respawn points are often nowhere near a good weapon.
  • Good weapons have too little ammo.
  • Good weapons take ages to respawn.
  • Electrogun has only 2 units of ammo!!
  • Respect powerup doesn't look attractive or relevant to multiplayer, so I doubt anyone bothers to get it.
  • Respect powerup gives SET_NO_COLLIDE in the most confined part of the level. Makes it nearly impossible to get back out whilst staying on the platform. (I wanted to continue for Rocket Launcher and Flamethrower.)
  • Hospital building doesn't have Health!!
  • Many powerups and animated weird things on rooves but no clear way to reach them. In fact, some even seem impossible.
  • So many weird and unexpected ways to die. Such as gangs which give that player invulnerability. Or the booby-trapped Ice Cream Van, a van which looks like a teleport route to the adjacent rooftop powerups. Invulnerable Elvis gang which punches me to death after respawn twice, as I was defenceless.
All of these things can be fixed and would make it more playable.
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

BenMillard wrote:Technically interesting but not playable, on my 1st time trying.
  • There are so many threats to players, they are very vulnerable after respawn. it is called army because it should be a challenge. Also there was a bug which removed the respawn invulnerability which has been fixed now i hope
  • Respawn points are often nowhere near a good weapon. instantly respawning mg and amour is enough to clear the area from any kind of law enforcement
  • Good weapons have too little ammo. i tweaked some where i found it useful
  • Good weapons take ages to respawn. default respawn time has been reduced by half (of the one in original tiny town)
  • Electrogun has only 2 units of ammo!! 2 ammo is enough to kill a player almost twice. that way you have to have at least a bit skill to kill someone. on any map where you have electrogun good players usually use it only in rare occasions because it would destroy the gameplay
  • Respect powerup doesn't look attractive or relevant to multiplayer, so I doubt anyone bothers to get it. i switched positions of no collide and explode punch
  • Respect powerup gives SET_NO_COLLIDE in the most confined part of the level. Makes it nearly impossible to get back out whilst staying on the platform. (I wanted to continue for Rocket Launcher and Flamethrower.) it would be faster to drive up the building again anyway
  • Hospital building doesn't have Health!!i didn't think that this is such a big problem but i put some additional health up there to make the part of the map more attractive
  • Many powerups and animated weird things on rooves but no clear way to reach them. In fact, some even seem impossible.none of them is unreachable. The ones where electrogun is and fast reload are not harder to get than the flamethrower. For the other ones be creative. everything is reachable, even without the drag car. i put them in for people who like to explore things
  • So many weird and unexpected ways to die. Such as gangs which give that player invulnerability. Or the booby-trapped Ice Cream Van, a van which looks like a teleport route to the adjacent rooftop powerups. Invulnerable Elvis gang which punches me to death after respawn twice, as I was defenceless. the elvis gang usuallly doesnt attack people. i put their run speed to 0. the ice cream van is just a little joke. i mean who wants to use this vehicle for tactical reasons? and the parced ice cream van has been replaced by another vehicle. besides that i think it is something good to have different threads than on the usual maps. there are many people who like to see something new.

All of these things can be fixed and would make it more playable.
I don't have a problem with straight and productive criticism but you put(here and ingame&gh) it as if i don't have any ambitions to look for playability. It is the first real version of this map in its current form. There are a lot more things that have to be adjusted than on usual maps and i put the main effort on the technical part of the scripting until now. Besides that it is not only about the map itself but also about modding in general. most of the elements are new and can be ported to other maps. it is not just a showcase map but i could have done the same script on any city map (although tank road blocks would be hardcore then ;) )

Don't understand this wrong, general gameplay reviews are welcome too, but not only.
for example: most of the cars with changed style still have the same car handling. If you think some are too slow/fast or what else, i can change that.
Last edited by elypter on 06 Feb 2011, 21:23, edited 1 time in total.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

besides the changes i already mentioned above i also turned most of the grenades into coctails and flamer, 5 ammo each (there are still the powerups with more ammo). Grenades obviously are not very useful against army but they could have been if police is switched off. although its called ttt army it can also be played very well without law enforcement. it has a very different game play.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

there will be blue explosion rings in the next version
Attachments
blue_explosion2_s.jpg
blue_explosion2_s.jpg (65.43 KiB) Viewed 15667 times
blue_explosion_s.jpg
blue_explosion_s.jpg (49.59 KiB) Viewed 15667 times
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Gustavob
Immortal
GH nick: Gustavob
|Gustavob|

Post by Gustavob »

blue explosion rings look amazing. There are some screenshots of those on G!, probably from beta GTA2
You just lost the game.
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

the new version is out

what changed:
  • of cause the blue explosion rings
  • correct plane remap
  • a little gang near the parked tank (it isn't there always)
  • parked red tank
  • increased ammo for some collectibles and cars
  • molotov coctails and flame throwers powerups are placed regularly near the streets
  • swatvan gets vmg and bulletproof
  • gtruck gets oil
  • crashes with car gang creation have been reduced drastically (not happend again yet)
  • explodepunch(fist) and no collision(respect) switched positions
  • some vehicles changed positions
  • a message when the bus explodes
  • many other minor tweaks
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Post by Sektor »

Crashes in 4 player at the start.
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

i tested 4 players on my pc and it worked, even 6 players work. maybe it crashed because someone disconnected, although this should be save too. how often did you try?
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

Tried it about 3 times but it was with the same people and I had exit on desync ticked. I tried it again with only 3 players and it worked fine for 18 minutes and then crashed but that could just be GTA2.
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

That exit on desync could be the reason. i had this with other maps too. With exit on desync it exits right after start but without it doesn't have desyncs. "Exit on desync" could either cause desyncs or detect false positives.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

The maps special features are nice and just seeing lots of new cars and sprites is refreshing.