Jailbreak Development

Post GTA1/GTA2 maps here (finished and work in progress).
Pyro
Immortal
GH nick: Pyro

Re: Jailbreak Idea for GTA2

Post by Pyro »

OK then, did a few more little tweaks with some (finally) positive results.

Fixed the grenade throwing guys, they now throw properly and constantly at the player. I switched them first from POLICE to SWAT (which did nothing as well) and then settled on ARMY which seemed to fix them! By the sound of it, since giving an NPC an occupation (such as police) they seem to be given some basic "rules" to follow. Example is setting one to police and if you shoot/punch them it'll give a wanted level and they'll run after you. It seems this conflict was going against their objectives (hence the jittering). Also the (real) SWAT guys normally run up to you close-ish range and try and shoot you with pistols, so ARMY seemed to be the best choice (they use MG's at longer ranges). I didn't have to add any of them to the "lawgang" after all.

The cell guards I've moved from ground floor to one on middle floor and other on top floor, but I've set them to have NO_OBJ to make them wander around instead of having the old patrol point. Depending how creative you want to be with a patrol point this can be changed later on. Also, the outer guards now wander around as well, and all these guys have been switched from POLICE to ARMY occupation type so they'll properly shoot the player with their pistols instead of jittering and trying to punch players.

I re-named the counter "loop" to "chapter" and added the second WHILE_EXEC after main loop and works nicely. Some of the code like the constant wanted level has to be copied into the new loop to make it work, and will need to be copied into future loops to work also.

I've attached the GMP (with Elvis stage), MIS and SCR below for you to look at and makes it more up to date so you can carry on editing the map:
GTA2-Jailbreak-Update.7z
(24.54 KiB) Downloaded 836 times
Test vehicles have been added (as before) near the prison church and added your firetruck/medicar too. There is no car sharing script with boxtruck or any code to open the storage room doors with conveyor yet.
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Post by BenMillard »

That's great progress, Pyro.

I notice the grenades are not causing any damage to the player. Any ideas why? Do they hurt when at ground level?

The grenadiers are high enough to throw over the wall into the armoury. Moving them close to the armoury wall would make their grenades bounce off while you're inside.

I also noticed that the other briefcases didn't show up. Thought I got the armoury one but got neither arrows nor pick-ups for the others. Oh, I like the local alarm sound for the armoury better than the full-blown siren. (We might use that siren later, when you actually leave the prison.)

Car chases on the freeway are already turning out nice! The median is only 1 block wide so natural roadblocks go right across.

(EDIT) Elvis stage is great, btw! Might add a music sound to it once I move it to final location. Will also add traffic lights and do a bit more freeway.
Pyro
Immortal

Post by Pyro »

BenMillard wrote:I notice the grenades are not causing any damage to the player. Any ideas why? Do they hurt when at ground level?
Hmm, by the looks of it they seem to be exploding before they hit the ground. NPC grenades seem to have a shorter timer before they explode. I have had rare occasions where they were thrown into the armoury and actually killed some guards! Also next point...
BenMillard wrote:The grenadiers are high enough to throw over the wall into the armoury. Moving them close to the armoury wall would make their grenades bounce off while you're inside.
I'll see what happens, although the timer for their nades are shorter for some reason :?
BenMillard wrote:I also noticed that the other briefcases didn't show up. Thought I got the armoury one but got neither arrows nor pick-ups for the others.
I have never had that happen, can you tell me how you did that? I've coded it so that the locker room and store room briefcases are only created and pointed to AFTER the armoury briefcase has been collected (before I updated it I had it that the other briefcases were spawned after armoury door opened but would crash if you picked them up before armoury one).
BenMillard wrote:Oh, I like the local alarm sound for the armoury better than the full-blown siren. (We might use that siren later, when you actually leave the prison.)
I'm definitely a fan of the prison alarm but I see your point, and I can live with either one of them 8-)
BenMillard wrote:Car chases on the freeway are already turning out nice! The median is only 1 block wide so natural roadblocks go right across.
Yup I noticed! As to the real, game generated road block on the bridge, they seem to appear in 2 places, one about 3 or 4 blocks from the guard tower or it spawns another 2 or so blocks back from that again. When we get around to scripting our own roadblock there I'm thinking adding some police cars and barriers in the prison side and then something a bit more substantial on the other side where the FBI spawn? Perhaps more scripted FBI/police etc? We'll see when we get there.
BenMillard wrote:(EDIT) Elvis stage is great, btw! Might add a music sound to it once I move it to final location. Will also add traffic lights and do a bit more freeway.
Yup I was going to add music to it but figured better wait until it was moved into a better place. As well as scripted Elvis guys I'm wondering what music will fit there? Maybe the music that plays at the Ol' Banjo in ste?

Other than that a few little extra things...
  • There is a roof set to air instead of field at 199,041 and 199,042 which I just noticed which you may want to correct.
  • I'm thinking instead of an invisible target perhaps using a normal, visible generator? Was thinking of putting it at 202,042. This would be used to open store room doors. Since you can't throw a molotov from store room over it is safe from the inside.
  • Added a prison boxtruck (Yakuza colours like you said - a dark blue) at 217,059 at a south-west facing angle. This is currently just for show until I make it respawn and try and use it for car sharing.
  • Next to the boxtruck are 2 police guards guarding it. Currently they have machine guns but can be switched.
  • Thinking of adding some more grenadier guards along the guard towers outside and also 2 or 3 extra standing at 212,060 area. Of course they will more than likely suffer from the same results as the inside grenadier guards by exploding early. Using molotovs will seem out of place but may be necessary. These guards would be spawned after bomb goes off.
  • Thinking of adding a health near medicar at 187,069? Kinda makes sense in a way 8-)
  • Any thoughts of placing armour spawns yet?
  • Maybe add the thin metal strip (tile 115) along the edge of the mesh above medicar (187,070 area)?
  • Want me to "pad out" the car park(s)? Maybe a combination of police cars, FBI cars, civilian cars etc, with various locks, alarms and the like? Or you can add some to the MIS and I'll take a look when you do an update.
Looking forward to next map updates 8-)
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Newest files are uploaded to the web page.

No time to reproduce the briefcase bug tonight. Think I died near it or something.
Pyro wrote:When we get around to scripting our own roadblock [...] we'll see when we get there.
Indeed. The whole army phase has yet to be figured out and we're fixing bugs to make chapter 1 playable.
Pyro wrote:As well as scripted Elvis guys I'm wondering what music will fit there? Maybe the music that plays at the Ol' Banjo in ste?
Yes.
Pyro wrote:Other than that a few little extra things...
  1. Roof corrected.
  2. GENERATOR at (202,042) would be worth a try. Bit far from the doors.
  3. Thanks for Box Truck.
  4. Box Truck guards make sense.
  5. Let's get Chapter 1 finished before doing gameplay for the other areas. If grenades can't be fixed, please try Molotovs. (Maybe one of each for testing.)
  6. Please do add a health on pavement near Medicar, nice idea.
  7. Armour will be in Army area. Put it on the box at (197,38) for now.
  8. Hospital mesh already has support frame. Added some more.
  9. Map zones now spawn low amount of traffic in the desert and even lower in the prison car park. (Do red emergency routes work, now?)
  10. Please add a CRANE at (183,77) which dumps the car into water near (188,76).
Kept missing you by a few hours or minutes all weekend! Had a very busy Saturday. Now off to watch Top Gear...missed first 20 minutes.
Pyro
Immortal

Post by Pyro »

Hey there, sorry we couldn't catch up last weekend, here's hoping for next one 8-)

Managed to download the updated map, looking good. A few minor things though...
  • I finally had a FBI roadblock at the car park after the army armoury area :shock: There was no roadblock past the bridge if this was the case. Did have random floating roadblock objects though if they were on the slope ;)
  • It would seem cars don't like turning around in the car park, perhaps it is too tight a corner?
  • Cars randomly stop before the bridge into the prison area, about 1 square away from the double lines. Not sure why!
  • Nice improvement to the big bridge, although why are there pavement sections on it? Usually see a ped or two on them as I drive by. If it's for natural roadblocks they don't seem to have a problem with it being field and 1 block.
  • Tile 560 is set to have a collision of "None", is this on purpose? Reason being is driving over the lower bridge where you can just drive through it! This also makes angry police/FBI cars fly off the edge into watery oblivion! :shock:
  • I see that you added some structure near the Elvis stage, is this the final location of it? Either way I've added a little music to it and will add some Elvis guys soon 8-)
  • It seems you forgot to set the roof section at 199,041 to field, but I corrected it.
  • Added the extra health, armour and power generator (for storeroom doors).
  • Added the crane. It's quite a stretch to drop a vehicle in the water but is just manageable!
  • Coded the storeroom door to open upon destruction of the generator at 202,042.
That's about it for now 8-) Oh yeah, still no results from the red arrow routes. They don't seem to make emergency vehicles drive along them :roll:
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Great stuff!
  1. Natural FBI are pretty hardcore in the car park! I had them blocking the ramp and one guard was on the stairs...nearly impossible to get past with Pistol and Shotgun!
  2. Car park is deliberately too small, to help provide varied getaway vehicles.
  3. The double line is set as a Junction texture in ste.sty. Kinda neat, I can imagine army guards checking their papers. In fact, please add a few basic ARMY who GUARD_SPOT and don't respawn:
    1. (160,59) MACHINE_GUN
    2. (160,62) MACHINE_GUN
    3. (166,59) MOLOTOV
    4. (165,62) MOLOTOV
    5. (171,62) MACHINE_GUN and make these 2 blocks use pavement texture but set to Field.
    6. (172,59) don't add a guard here, as it would likely destroy roadblocks.
    7. (209,36) MOLOTOV and move the tree East until so it doesn't quite protect you.
  4. True, those can be Field. Make it so!
  5. That's so you can switch sides of the road.
  6. Pretty much final, yeah.
  7. Cheers.
  8. Great!
  9. I might adjust the area once I see it. Was thinking...maybe turn it into a quayside with a crusher and the wreck goes onto a ship and the powerups come out of the cabin? I'll map this myself at some point, if I still like the idea.
  10. Neato.
  11. Please add a couple of Armed Land Roamers to the army area in North West. Near one of the big warehouse doors (without blocking the door) would be great. Only give them the turret gun.
  12. Please make the water from (172,96) all the way to South East corner flow Southwards.
I'll keep the red arrows, just in case they help when car chases go off the roads with green arrows.
Pyro
Immortal

Post by Pyro »

Uploaded the updated map with the changes and the script updates. Goes as far as the army guards at the bridge plus other bits as requested.
GTA2-Jailbreak-Update2.7z
(29.74 KiB) Downloaded 862 times
See you on GH sometime I hope 8-)
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Tried it out, then did a bunch more map changes. Man, the freeway is working well for police chases!

(EDIT) This is a great improvement; the outer bridge is really tough and varies nicely.

We should concentrate on finishing Chapter 1 so regular players can start enjoying it.
  • GENERATOR should be present from the start. You can't damage it until you escape but you can see that area from storeroom.
  • GENERATOR works nicely. Not directly visible but the ladder is a strong cue to go up there.
  • The Armour is just difficult enough to reach.
  • ARMY guards should only spawn after completing Chapter 1.
I'm making lots of map updates during today. Sketched some ideas for the Army garrison around the Prison, so might start that over the weekend. Most recent files uploaded but GMP will continue to change. (Script is probably older than your current version, so replace it with yours.)

If you send me your GMP I'll make a backup, use it for inspiration when Prison is stable enough for detailed texture work.

(EDIT at 7:45pm) Newest files are uploaded again. Not sure what was crashing the map but I carried everything over, piece by piece, now seems stable. Freeway goes further. After we've finished Chapter 1 and it supports 1-6 players, we could talk about some mapping you could do. (I know, you're itching to do some!)
  1. Hydroelectric turbine room and surrounding area. (Maybe a visitors' centre?)
  2. Diner, repair shop and "Wang Cars" showroom in a somewhat run-down style.
I have locations in mind for both of these. Don't start them until Chapter 1 is complete and liked by more people we test with.

Thanks to testers who played us earlier. We had 6 people in one game...one of the escapees turned on out to be a rat so we had to fight him off! The early stages are actually quite difficult and funny, so I'm feeling super positive about the progress we are making.

(EDIT at 3am next day)
  • Have roughed out the army gang setup.
  • Noodled around with formatting of commands code. Feel free to ignore that at this stage.
  • Added traffic lights to big junction only.
  • Small freeway junction crashed with either 7x4 or 7x2 traffic lights.
Newest files uploaded to the site.
Pyro
Immortal

Post by Pyro »

Hey there,

I have the latest updates to the MIS/SCR files (attached below):
Jailbreak-ScriptUpdate.7z
(12.07 KiB) Downloaded 779 times
Has the updates requested, including:
  • Guards on gantry by armoury now have molotovs (as grenades were just rubbish).
  • Moved a lot of fluff in code into single triggers from forwarding accessed by the GOSUB's. In short, this means less repetitive code, more modular and easier to update.
  • The gang phone in the football field was removed and all related code to it removed due to the members shooting other players.
  • Blowing the doors up now gives $100,000 instead of $250,000 while still having the "Job Complete!" message and sound. Further chapters in future will be similar in adding to players score meaning players can decide how far they want to go.
  • Generator outside near the store room is now visible from the start - you can see it just to the left of the wall by the molotov pickup. Blow this up for quick access to outside!
  • The army and outside police guys spawn after the doors have been blown up and not before and not just idling around!
  • Fixed the "jittery" bug for relevant NPC's. This now, actually, makes them a LOT more dangerous!
Once more of the code is nailed down the remaining players' (P3 to P6) code will be added so chapter 1 will be (more or less) complete. 8-)

Thinking of adding some army guys on the roof at 200,040 area (one or two with MG's) to protect the generator. Also thinking of adding some "medics" hanging around the medicar around 187,070, just for décor really.

Just noticed you have some "hidden" tiles at 174,045 on the slope which explains why we crash into them! Also, I suggest removing that rather strange looking tree right next to it! Might be a few more lurking in the map somewhere.

See you later on hopefully 8-)

Update:

I have added the following to the script:
Jailbreak-ScriptUpdate2.7z
(12.55 KiB) Downloaded 804 times
  • Rocket launcher pick up.
  • Flamer pick up.
  • 2x Army guys protecting the generator with MG's.
  • 3x Medics near the medicar and health pick up.
  • Moved the Land Roamers so they don't block the doorways as you requested.
  • The armoury alarm now switches off when all five armoury guards are dead.
  • The two molotov guards near armoury have been removed completely.
The location of the crane (183,077) has a lid set to AIR instead of FIELD so it doesn't appear!
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Great stuff! Newest files are now on the website. Army area has gang-like Army, they are pretty good. Followed by FBI on the narrow exit bridge, actually quite tough to escape. As it should be!

Eye Candy
Cable-stayed bridge carries the freeway across a gorge. The distance shows the dam, which the freeway also crosses:

(EDIT) Newer files uploaded on 27th July 2010 at 3am.

Progress
Chapter 1 will be just about done once it supports 6 players. More testers would be handy on Thursday and Friday, so Pyro has time to develop support first. Hopefully we can announce first playable release this weekend! We're still developing ideas for later stages but it would be a dream to get enjoyable versions out "early and often".

Fine Tuning
Re-arranged buildings North of Prison so they are all functional and fairly interesting. Added some boxes, copied from Residential then adapted, which is where the weapons are hidden...if you can get to them!

Straightened up the Jeeps a bit and made more texture refinements. There's a rocky jump to the West of the Prison which lands you in the car park if you go fast enough. (Over 0.350, nearer 0.400 to be sure of landing.) If you miss the jump...tough!

Railway
If possible, there will be 4 tracks:
  1. Clockwise passenger train. (Standard setup.)
  2. Clockwise freight train. (Runs at low speed, cannot be ridden, as long as possible.)
  3. Clockwise passenger train. (Runs at low speed, cannot be ridden, as long as possible.)
  4. Anti-clockwise passenger train. (Standard setup.)
There are 6 potential railways station locations so far:
  1. North-West of Prison, 4 blocks West of freeway. (You can just see that when going fast Southbound.)
  2. Hydroelectric Power Station. (Bringing in workers and replacing large equipment.)
  3. Diner, garage and possibly motel. (Might be spread across the road with overhead walkway, like a real motorway service station.)
  4. Redneck village(s).
  5. Customs processing near national border.
  6. Tourism and sightseeing spot?
Level Crossings
Since trains are clockwork, we could script these on a timer.
  1. Disable more traffic from approaching.
  2. Bank alarm warns player train is approaching.
  3. Barriers snap shut using CHANGE_BLOCK.
  4. Train passes.
  5. Reverse the first 3 steps.
These would only be used for minor tracks across minor roads. Elsewhere, crossings would use bridges and tunnels.
Pyro
Immortal

Post by Pyro »

There is a new file to download that has an updated map AND the P3-P6 support!

Alrighty then!

I have the first release for P3-P6 support for chapter 1, you can grab it below:
Jailbreak-Update2.7z
(40.9 KiB) Downloaded 786 times
Went through each player (by re-ordering the player declarations) and had some strange bugs, such as certain objectives already been done etc even after double and triple checking the code. I added some CHECK_CHARACTER_HEALTH checks in it and all the players work properly now for the objectives. The next test, then, is to get more than 2 players like before and give it a real good thrashing! Hopefully the weekend should bring some victims to help test ;) After that (after any possible fixes), chapter 1 should be finally done! Oh, and the Elvis stage music has been moved and a church sound has been added as well.

After Ben and I were throwing ideas around last night for chapter 2 (and beyond) we came up with some interesting ones, most of which Ben has explained above (level crossings etc) which will be a good test (and thinking outside of the box!). As well as this, Ben has let me have a go to do a little mapping for the hydro plant and the diner/motel area :twisted: . I'll add a train station to each of them as a general idea of where they'll be (the actual railway direction and track layout can be decided on later). Thinking either a single or double track for the hydro plant (if it's double, opposite directions - one passenger train that stops and maybe a non-stopping, slow moving freight one?) and a single track at the diner/motel.

Things are coming along nicely, and hopefully we can get a number of people for a large chapter 1 test soon 8-)

Update:

I have started doing a little work on the hydro plant. Got some basic stuff down but will be adding the main building and more fluff later on. The new zip file has the updated map for you to look at and we can test it when we see each other next on GH. Here's a screenie:
jailbreak05.jpg
Looks a little weird from that angle but once you open the map you can have a good look around. The black line to the top left of the picture (going across the water to the mountain side) is actually a load of dam tiles with the open gates for water with a little tile on top to give it a little bulk. The muddy, grassy area to the right is a drained part and has closed dam gates on the sides. Not sure what extra I'll add there but looks interesting!

Also has a basic placement for a train track with crane. Not sure if a double track would be appropriate here but we'll see. Other than that, once more stuff goes in there there will be extra fluff like pipes, cabling and all that jazz. Oh, and let's not forget the sounds too 8-)
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

I'll try getting some bigger Jailbreak games together, for testing before official launch of Chapter 1. Awesome progress!

Hydroelectric Power Station
I generally agree with the concept and choice of textures and it's extremely early stage, of course. Here's some ideas and observations:
  1. Surrounding it with fences and offering just a 1x1 entrance means players won't go in there, so they'll never see what you built.
  2. Railway tracks:
    1. Enter at (231,100,) from a bridge, to give great view of dam.
    2. Could even be near (231,97) to be visible from freeway and give space for interesting cliff face. (You can take 1 block off the parts of the existing cliff top help.)
    3. Exit at (240,117,) into a tunnel.
    4. Bridge across gorge, so it exits from a tunnel in the West cliff.
    5. Tunnel exit from the West cliff. A bit like where the Freeway meets edges of the map.
    6. Tunnel entrance into side of road.
  3. There's too much parking.
  4. The cropped-short slope at (243,111) seems...wrong.
  5. Remove the North faces along (235,118) to (240,118). (You're layering a different wall on them, which I agree with, then there's the train tunnel entrance.)
  6. I somewhat agree with warehouse doors in the cliff face, but this starves the area of 3 cool features:
    1. Warehouses, with walkable "parkour" friendly rooves and gantries. (Bit like Schnelburg area in MultiSlayer City.)
    2. Rocky, sandy and generally interesting cliff faces. (You live in Wales...you have endless inspiration for this!)
    3. A non-rectangular flat area.
  7. Might be nice to have a 1-block-high platform area. Loads of height to play with.
  8. Car crusher might just about suit the area?
  9. Quite like the turbines, lifted from Residential. Maybe one could be broken, using tile 100?
  10. Initially hated gantries out across the water in the editor. But it is a cool neat effect in-game. I'm sure you'll make it more interesting over time, like the Residential one.
  11. Big towers in the river...I don't get it. At all.
  12. Paper-thin walls holding back a village-sized reservoir just after a 20-metre drop...which is topped by 4 layers of gates already. Erm...? :|
  13. A 50 block area to act as an "overflow" for a >500 block area? I rather don't think so.
  14. The "overflow" area might work better as a dock:
    1. You can change the shape but don't jut out into the river too far.
    2. Shape of dock should protect moored boats from river flow.
    3. Could moor a barge there. Clean or grubby, I don't mind.
    4. Maybe has an opaque black compartment which is fed from a CONVEYOR which drops crushed cars from the dock?
    5. CONVEYOR would be fed by the CRANE you've already started crane.
    6. Sloped CONVEYOR transports PLAYER and they fall off the edge. Might work for WRECK falling into DESTRUCTOR as well?
I was hoping this would use grey concrete floors instead of being yet another dark blue area. But I appreciate how limiting that would be. At least the diner, garage and motel area(s) won't be blue. :)

Chapter 1 Nearly Ready!
There's a couple of minor things left to do, which Pyro knows about. After those are complete I'll make a new topic in the GTA2 Multiplayer Maps area to announce the release of Chapter 1. Hopefully before this weekend, so lots of people can play what we've got so far.

This thread will continue to be used for development, ideas and detailed stuff.
BenMillard
Immortal

Re: Jailbreak Development

Post by BenMillard »

After lots of testing and development with Pyro overnight, we've now released Jailbreak Chapter 1. Please use that topic for general feedback. Ideas and bug reports continue to go here.

Chapter 1 is already a unique, playable level which lets you escape from your cell block. You can then explore outside the finished area, with FBI hunting you down!

The final level will have at least two more chapters. I'm really pleased to release this so far ahead of Spring 2012. +5 respect to Pyro for writing so much code and doing loads of essential R&D!
Pyro
Immortal

Post by Pyro »

A small script update for you:
Jailbreak-Pyro07.7z
(18.58 KiB) Downloaded 775 times
I've added:
  • "Secret" testers switch for quick escape of prison which does:
    • Opens the conveyor doors in storage area.
    • Opens cell doors.
    • Makes a "hole" in the wall next to the cell office where the cell key drops for quick access to outside.
    • Pacifies the army gang (instead of being -5 (hated) to them they become +5 (friendly and helpful)).
    • Adds $25,000 (for using weapon shops etc).
    • Spawns a few weapons: Rocket launcher, flamer, molotov and armour - all give +99 ammo.
  • Added death checks for cell guards (if they die, they drop cell door key).
  • Added death checks for outer guards (if they die, they drop armoury key).
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Good stuff. I've attached some tinkerings, might get to do a bit more on Sunday@
jailbreak.zip
Test version for Pyro, 8th August 2010.
(103.91 KiB) Downloaded 754 times
Could you get the wrecking cranes unloading onto barge to work? It gets as far as destroying the wreck which has been delivered but no weapon is created, as far as I can see. If the CONVEYOR should be longer, remove the stairs and make it 2 blocks longer Northwards. The DESTRUCTORS should both be inside the barge loading hatch, if that's possible.

Not sure whether CONVEYOR should overlap DESTRUCTOR...is there a tutorial which explains all of this?
Gustavob
Immortal
GH nick: Gustavob
|Gustavob|

Post by Gustavob »

AFAIK, the CONVEYOR must overlap the DESTRUCTOR else the wreck wont be deleted since it wont reach the DESTRUCTOR. If you want the wreck to fall down, just make it one block longer than the CONVEYOR itself (tiles) and it will fall, but make the destructor 2x2 blocks wide to be sure it gets deleted
You just lost the game.
Pyro
Immortal

Post by Pyro »

Done a few changes to the diner area, here are some pictures:
jailbreak06.jpg
A new L-shaped garage. Removed the Pay'N'Spray as it is pointless in the scenario. There is a wall between the different shops but TM's viewer doesn't like showing them! Going to put the GT-A1 in front of the garage door and possibly put the flamer on the corner next to the oil shop. The roof on the other side is also sloped and the top left is also angled so cars don't crash into it when turning!
jailbreak07.jpg
View of the diner area with filler. Thought about the insane jump from west to east and put a little sloped bit in that goes under instead of a solid wall. Even a GT-A1 maximum speed will get the insane bonus and then drive under and out the other side. Undecided about the insane jump to the west so you can have a decent run-up (hence the flat bit next to the walkway). Also need something decent to cover the storm drain.

The main diner area will be in the empty pavement bit, hoping to have a tiny garden bit next to a bar, and then have pizza shop etc (with the health bonus) near it and add an alley from the east bit with the pavement steps to main diner/garage area.

Should be fun to see how it turns out ;)

Edit: Another update:
jailbreak08.jpg
View of the diner area. Walkway goes through the building to the other side.
jailbreak09.jpg
Rear view of the diner area. Includes the little garden area which people can access. The mesh on the top lets you see through to the ground.
jailbreak10.jpg
Pathway between the buildings. This is also where the path to the grassy area is as well.

Trying to use different building styles is quite challenging in ste but wanted them to look slightly different from each other. Still need to change some textures around and fiddle with a few more things but getting there, and looks and feels better than the first version. 8-)
Last edited by Pyro on 12 Aug 2010, 19:17, edited 1 time in total.
Cuban-Pete
Immortal
GH nick: Cuban-Pete

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Do you need custom textures? I can make them in such a way, that they look original. I often take parts from other textures or lengthening stuff and/or fix on pixel level.
"Mmmm, your eyes are so beautiful."
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

That's looking pretty 1337, Pyro! Glad I insisted upon a v2 of this area, you're working wonders with it now.
  1. Neat concept for L-shaped shops. Unique architecture is worth the oodles of extra thought and fiddling.
  2. Respray should remain, for the lulz of pink trucks and limos. (Also lets you save a car which is nearly wrecked.)
  3. Think the 45° alcove is a bit awkward. Doing it as a 90° inner with 45° outer would be fine by me.
  4. Ramp and walkway are OK. Was thinking the walkway could be higher up with stairs either side, to avoid long vehicles appearing on top of the walkway when they use the slope?
  5. South entrance could go further East, with the storm drain slotting into the West:
    1. Move vehicles would achieve bigger jumps.
    2. An alleyway would separate the South buildings, so it's not such a blockade.
    3. South buildings should stop 1 block sooner, to maximise the run-up for Westbound jump.
  6. Storm drain is a great idea! Be sure to keep it drivable and visible for the dirty water trails.
  7. Rooftop access could be possible via a T-junction from the stairs over the freeway?
  8. Remove SE fence. Dead ends are lame and non-fatal falls are good.
Pete, I've considered bringing loads of bil.sty textures over to replace the repetitive ones in ste.sty. Possibly a few edge variants would be worth adding. For now I'll keep it original ste.sty and we'll see how far we can take it.

(EDIT) I've roughed out an outline for the Army Armoury, not uploaded. Am sorting out my new flat in London, visiting a friend, working Saturday and trying to get some rest Sunday. We might not get a chance to merge this weekend but are working in very separate areas, so should be fine.
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Sorry but I was compelled to rebuild the Diner complex again. Have spent waaay too long on this today - but really enjoyed it! :)

(Screenshot is hurriedly taken from DMA editor as I'm supposed to be packing for my move to London early tomorrow morning. Might not be around until next weekend or even the one after that, as new place has no Internet cable so the PC is staying in Hampshire for now.)

I've updated the Jailbreak for GTA2 page with the most recent of what I have. Pyro, please merge any work you've done to other buildings and zones into this GMP. Use your own script instead of this one.

Specific Buildings
  • Diner, NE.
  • Garage, NW.
  • Motel (brothel), SW.
  • 7-11, E.
Tasks for Diner Area
  1. Needs a Bus Stop zone to match the tiles in Diner car park now.
  2. Wang Car sign on SW leg of garage so it's advertised for the Eastbound freeway traffic.
  3. Something for the empty SE platform?
    1. Could move South road and footbridge West by a block for more space.
    2. Tree and bus stop would be affected.
    3. South edge could extend 2 blocks further South. Looked a bit lame while I was developing the area.
    4. Could be a substation, a Gazebo, a veranda, a play area? A couple of OBJECT declares might help.
  4. Make ground beneath Diner stairs use median grass:
    1. (No change to freeway median corner.)
    2. 3-sided end
    3. 2-sided middle
    4. 3-sided end.
  5. Better shape for the "motel"? (It's actually brothel but don't advertise that directly to freeway traffic!)
  6. Powerups should be moved:
    1. Molo to alleyway by 7-11?
    2. Health on SE platform?
    3. Flamer on a roof somewhere?
  7. GT-A1 to occupy a parking space:
    1. Enough spaces for 6 colour-coded ones, now. Yay!
    2. Leave NW spaces clear for easier garage access.
    3. Some facing North, others South. Variety across each row.
    4. Keep them all within 3° of "perfect" parking, inclusive.
  8. Animate the neon signs.
    1. Some should operate properly. (Diner is OK.)
    2. Others south flicker, buzz and sputter in various patterns.
    3. The patterns I sent in GH were just guesses.
    4. I reckon 2-frame or 3-frame delay will be good for most patterns. (Won't need 130 frames!)
    5. A particularly "buzzy" one might be 1-frame delay but have <20 frames.
  9. Diner refinements:
    1. North door of Diner could be central, with dusty grass moved to suit. (Fire escape.)
    2. Add a door to NE Diner, opening onto footbridge. (Fire escape.)
  10. Seedy strip club sound for the brothel.
  11. Fan sound for air conditioning units. (Or the little substation sound, set right at the edge.
  12. Rooftop access...how? Oh! Move the East door of 7-11 1 block North. Add a 1x1 stairway where it was (like Hydro roof). Flamer can then be on Diner roof.
  13. 7-11 could use different wall textures from Brothel. Maybe shop fronts from The Mall?
  14. Ideally, the rooves would form a subtle parkour circuit. Like Schnellberg in MultiSlayer. (Hydro has some elements of this, nice work!)
  15. Correct the fences for South footbridge. I b0rked them while moving it East.
  16. Some texture edging is untidy and there's a couple of illogical bits, too late to document now.
This area is living up to my optimism for it, now. Compact yet has space for lots of peds, lots of parking spots (the ones Pyro likes!) and varied buildings. There's a couple of alleyways, footbridges, a tree, bus stop, lots of signs. Road network remains pleasing natural and the straight runs to and from jumps are excellent! Especially like jumping the really fast cars accurately so that they land in the sewer.

(EDIT)
I also re-strung the West end of the cable-stayed bridge. It now anchors into the cliff using cables instead of girders. Plus you can now drive up the slope near West exit of cable bridge to reach the reservoir's plateau.
Last edited by BenMillard on 21 Aug 2010, 22:41, edited 1 time in total.