Teasers of my first map ever

Post GTA1/GTA2 maps here (finished and work in progress).
Devastator
Hitman
Hitman

Teasers of my first map ever

Post by Devastator »

I still have quite a bit of stuff left to do in terms of lighting & scripting. I'm not going to name reveal it yet.
I got the base map done in two days(close to a days worth of time total).

There's going to be at least four game play modes, each with a different weapon/power up set & elements of level layout.
The first three of these modes will be four player only, but I figure I'll make the fourth (& fastest) game play mode support up to six.

The following screenshots are two early WIP versions of the map, followed by the completed Classic map, then the map layout for the second & third gameplay modes, & lastly a WIP screen of the fourth mode's map layout.

I'm hoping to get everything wrapped up soon map-wise so that I can complete scripting & playtest it extensively with my brother.

Oh yeah, there's a lot of cool & advanced platforming too.

With skill, you can jump from those three block tall towers in the center of the arena to three different one block tall boxes that are two block spaces away from the respective tower, but a slight misstep spells instant death.

In the 2nd & 3rd level layouts there's an even trickier jump from those towers to a platform suspended by the pipes (the pipes can't be walked on). & in the third layout, if you can make that jump, it opens up a whole part of the map that also requires a lot of jump skills.
Attachments
TTA-EarlyRendition1.png
TTA-EarlyRendition2.png
TTA-Classic.png
TTA-VF&CE.png
Work In Progress
Work In Progress
Devastator
Hitman
Hitman

Re: Teasers of my first map ever

Post by Devastator »

Game mode / Map Variant #3, "Close Encounters."

There's a Stungun & Pistol in the starting/respawning area, to equip you before you drop down into the main arena.
The four electrified weapons platforms each hold a flame thrower holding only 10 ammo. Elsewhere, there's two shotguns with 5 rounds each next to a double damage powerup, & two shotguns with 10 rounds next to a fast reload. There's a few goodies down in the tunnels, & the health & armor require some decent jumping to get to, but you have to choose between one or the other before making a second trip to get the other one. There's two pistol dispensers, & two bomb dispensers, which dispense 3 molotovs each.

I'm pretty much done with all my maps now, except for the final touches I'm putting on a fifth variant with vehicles. I just need to script everything & playtest them now & they should be good to launch within the week ideally.

I'll likely start by releasing the first two variants. Stay tuned.
Attachments
Be vewy vewy quiet
Be vewy vewy quiet
BeepBoop
Car Jacker
Car Jacker
GH nick: BeepBoop

Post by BeepBoop »

Cool map and great electro-gun redesign. Would like to test that map out in multiplayer but no one with low enough ping to play with. :/
Devastator
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Devastator »

That's actually the pistol redesign. The reason I redesigned it is because a core mechanic of this level was designed around the electro-baton, which I also redesigned to look like a stun gun. In the original GTA2, there's three bullet types; Red(player), Orange(Enemies/Other Players), & Purple, which was supposed to be used for the electro baton but was dummied out. So I made the orange & the red look like the purple bullet, & as I started to expand upon my original idea & the map I realized I'd need both the (electro-baton) & bullet weapons, but because I made the bullets purple they wouldn't look right coming out of a normal gun, so I redesigned the guns. Think of that pistol as firing a projectile that passes through that electrical arc as it leaves the barrel & gets electrically charged. I'm also going to have to redesign the MachineGun now. I wanted to make all sparks / shotgun buck purple too so that I could redesign the shotgun into some electrical gun for fun, but I kept messing up the palette when I tried to. I wanted to make the Flames from when you fire the gun purple as well but again, palette was messing up.

& I'm hoping to make single player version of the levels, for my own enjoyment. It's not likely I'll be able to play this much online. In fact the first time I ever successfully played GTA2 online was with my brother playtesting my levels. You should still be able to play it once I release, with bots, but I do plan a "Survival" mode too.

Here's the Stungun & Pistol.
Attachments
ZappyHands.png
ZappyHands.png (1.92 KiB) Viewed 17898 times
Devastator
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Devastator »

Dispensers shouldn't be thought of as a main supply source, given the risks; You don't want to get caught on that conveyor if someone hits you with a shock probe. If you happen to be strolling by & see some molotovs rolling towards that fan of death, don't fret; The risk is worth it. You can move faster down the conveyor than they can, just be sure to turn around in time.
Attachments
GunDispenser.png
Not OSHA compliant
Not OSHA compliant
Devastator
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Devastator »

Designing secrets is so much fun. I'm pretty sure I may be implementing mechanics now one else has yet.
Attachments
KeepQuiet.png
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Post by elypter »

Devastator wrote:I wanted to make all sparks / shotgun buck purple too so that I could redesign the shotgun into some electrical gun for fun, but I kept messing up the palette when I tried to. I wanted to make the Flames from when you fire the gun purple as well but again, palette was messing up.
that map looks great. about your problems with palettes: you are not the first and it is quite confusing. the reason why other textures get messed up is because they all share the same palette. if you modify a sprite the image editor usually generates a new palette that is now incompatible. you can avoid that if you keep the palette but that makes editing difficult and things like color changes are not possible if the required colors do not exist in the palette. i havent been modding for quite a while but i think it should be possible to select a new palette place so the other textures can keep their original one. if neccesary you can extend the palette sheet by one page. it could cause visual glitches in the DMA map editor but it works fine in game. it is possible to change the palette for all sprites using it too but that quite some work. i explained in this thread http://gtamp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... it=palette
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Logofero
Serial Killer
Serial Killer

Post by Logofero »

So look is good men. Style of Aliens and space ships