Changing default radio stations in gang cars

Anything to do with GTA1/GTA2 modding (tools, scripts and more).
_L1pE_
Car Jacker
Car Jacker
GH nick: _L1pE_

Changing default radio stations in gang cars

Post by _L1pE_ »

I tested some stuff and from what I've seen, gangs cars will have certain radios as default if they're available in the map, e.g. Z-type has Futuro FM as default, Dementia has Lithium FM, etc. And if their respective radio stations aren't available, they will just play a random one. But, when you complete the mission "Radio Za-Za" in the downtown district, the Z-types in the level will default to playing Lithium FM instead of Futuro FM. I took a look at the mission .scr file by decompiling it with the Epic GTA 2 Map Editor, and from what I've seen the only relevant command is "DELETE_ITEM (radio1)" (radio1 being Futuro FM), but nothing that would hint to changing the Z-types' default radio station. Does anyone know how this is done?
Let's go for a joyride
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Re: Changing default radio stations in gang cars

Post by BenMillard »

Cool observation!

When that command deletes Futuro FM, it isn't available for the Zaibatsu Z-Type any more. Are you sure Lithium FM becomes the new default for the car after that? Are you sure it's random if the 'correct' radio station is not available? It might simply default to the first defined station which has not been deleted.

Just a guess, I don't know for sure. Never noticed this before.
_L1pE_
Car Jacker
Car Jacker
GH nick: _L1pE_

Re: Changing default radio stations in gang cars

Post by _L1pE_ »

BenMillard wrote:Cool observation!

When that command deletes Futuro FM, it isn't available for the Zaibatsu Z-Type any more. Are you sure Lithium FM becomes the new default for the car after that? Are you sure it's random if the 'correct' radio station is not available? It might simply default to the first defined station which has not been deleted.

Just a guess, I don't know for sure. Never noticed this before.
Thanks for the response.

I am sure, gang cars will play random stations like any other car when theirs is not available, except for that mission in that district, after I had passed it I stole a lot of Z-types and they always played Lithium FM (though apparently saving and loading will restore Futuro FM, I haven't tested what the behavior is when you do that). I tried making some custom scripts on a custom map to replicate this, gang cars would just play random stations when theirs was deleted. Tried even having the stations be set up the same as they are in Downtown, same names, order and coordinates, and then deleting Futuro FM, and Z-types would play random stations still, so there must be something else that causes that behavior with that mission in Downtown.
Let's go for a joyride