GTA 1 Mods

Anything to do with GTA1/GTA2 modding (tools, scripts and more).
ItaliaPizzaman
Ped
Ped
GH nick: ItaliaPizzaman

GTA 1 Mods

Post by ItaliaPizzaman »

Hi guys,

New to the website. Pretty awesome reading all of the different things done to GTA1 over the years.

Sadly I have only just got back into playing this all time favourite of mine and even bought a Windows 98 computer purely out of nostalgia, and I never knew there were so many mods! I installed a couple a few weeks back and they weren't very stable to say the least. So here is my question;

Which mods are the best and most stable? And do people still make new ones for this or is it simply too much work for such a small handful of people who would undoubtedly love it? Thats the vibe I have been getting!

Looking forward to your responses.

:D
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Re: GTA 1 Mods

Post by Sektor »

The best are any made by illspirit, RoLaND and BenMillard. They were stable enough to be fun long ago but I haven't tried them recently. I don't know of any new mods for GTA1 being made, most modders moved onto GTA2 or other games but someone could surprise me, it's happened before.
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Post by BenMillard »

Nice of you to mention my GTA1 mods.

Some AI features of the game are not stable in Windows, others in DOS. When the AI are driving cars to a particular location, that's the most fragile. Also, if you fail missions in obscure ways the mission might not fail properly. Sometimes you can force it to fail in these situations, by dying or destroying the objective. Or getting arrested.

Some maps would crash the game at certain locations. Nobody really knows why. It can happen in GTA2 but it's usually due to a traffic system the game doesn't understand. Especially when you have a wanted level high enough for roadblocks to be created at awkward junctions. (In GTA1, roadblocks only form at places you set using a special editor. But it might be to do with the way fire trucks drive to put out burning cars.)

Pennywise is another modder I'd add to that list.

Before any of those, Burger City is a must-try level for GTA1!
ItaliaPizzaman
Ped
Ped
GH nick: ItaliaPizzaman

Post by ItaliaPizzaman »

Thanks for getting back to me Sektor, really enjoyed playing the games you suggested.

Also thanks Ben! Thanks for the time you would have put into these MODs - I really enjoyed playing them. GTA1 is a huge part of my childhood and I managed to get my nostalgia back (even bought a Windows 98 working PC and everything!). It was great to play some new games in the GTA format, I just wish more and more were made.

Thanks again. Huge fan.

Andy
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Post by BenMillard »

Thanks, glad you enjoy! I made them because I enjoy them but put a lot of effort to make them fun for other people as well. ^_^