Epic GTA2 Map Editor (0.6.6602) Beta

Anything to do with GTA1/GTA2 modding (tools, scripts and more).
T.M.
Immortal

Re: TradeMark's GTA2 Map Editor (0.5.32) (Only zone editor a

Post by T.M. »

Lantyz wrote:I'm also looking forward to see maps in dusk mode in your editor. Any news on this?
I have made the lighting possible, but i am still finding a way to efficiently render all the lights on the map at once (so you can zoom out etc...) altough i have few ideas already, but i havent really worked on it further yet. I will do this after i make the map editable.
Pyro
Immortal
GH nick: Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Looks good.

For rotating objects I suggest using the "," and "." keys (also shares the < and > keys) and/or using Ctrl+Mouse Wheel. Don't mind which way it rotates depending on which way you press the buttons (clockwise/anti-clockwise).

I'll find this useful for pre-scripted objects for fine tuning them, although I'm wondering what the object placement will be like in inserting code. Everyone has their own way of adding numbers to multiple objects such as: guard_1, guard01, guard_01 and so on (I personally use the one like "guard01"). Might be useful at times when you forget something (although there are loads of objects/weapons/cars/generators etc) but could also mean re-organising the MIS code a lot. We shall see.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Hmm, i think the keyboard layout becomes a problem here, since i get > and < from same button with shift combined, and "," "." arer at the right side of keyboard ,which is insanely annoying. ATM the keys for rotation are "Q" and "E" so i dont have to swich my arms positions at all when editing.
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Post by elypter »

My suggestion for development targets:
first implement things that are not possible with the dma editor and mean much work with usual tools.
Eg:
-placing objects, cars, player start positions, weapons, collision info for shrink-slopes.
it would be best if that could be written into a .mis file in a special area that is marked eg by //<? & //?>
it would be cool too if it could be able to generate a simple .mis (&compile if that could be done automatically) file with everything necessary to test a level.
-Options to choose how to copy coordinates:
XXX.xx, YYY.yy, Z.00 <- default atm
XXX.0/5, YYY.0/5, Z.00
XXX.xx, YYY.yy
XXX.0/5, YYY.0/5
yur sa'nok ngeyä
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

elypter wrote:collision info for shrink-slopes.
What is that? :o
elypter wrote:it would be best if that could be written into a .mis file in a special area that is marked eg by //<? & //?>
Why special area? I am writing it in the place you choose, so you can adjust your scripts easily by selecting that line of the code you want to place the objects. And if you copy an object, it will write the code under that line where you copied it.
elypter wrote:it would be cool too if it could be able to generate a simple .mis (&compile if that could be done automatically) file with everything necessary to test a level.
On my todo list, but i will make it use pre-compiled .scr file which i only modify the player start positions, so you could quickly just test any map you want and choose where you will spawn. I am going to make the compiler directly in the editor too, so after you modified the script by mouse, you can compile it into .scr
elypter wrote:-Options to choose how to copy coordinates:
XXX.0/5, YYY.0/5, Z.00
XXX.xx, YYY.yy
XXX.0/5, YYY.0/5
The coordinate picker becomes kinda obsolete after the objects are movable by mouse, but i guess i could add some coordinate options in the menu.
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

TradeMark wrote:
elypter wrote:collision info for shrink-slopes.
What is that? :o
i mean those half or quarter sized blocks used for walls and chimneys.
TradeMark wrote:
elypter wrote:it would be best if that could be written into a .mis file in a special area that is marked eg by //<? & //?>
Why special area? I am writing it in the place you choose, so you can adjust your scripts easily by selecting that line of the code you want to place the objects. And if you copy an object, it will write the code under that line where you copied it.
I thought of it as an area where the editor can do the formating automatically to save work. If the editor has complete free hand over the formating(in that area) this open the door for features like: categorize & sort by name/type/location/...

That would be rather a luxury feature. I just thought it would be easier to implement it this way(eg: for creating completely new objects).
TradeMark wrote:
elypter wrote:it would be cool too if it could be able to generate a simple .mis (&compile if that could be done automatically) file with everything necessary to test a level.
On my todo list, but i will make it use pre-compiled .scr file which i only modify the player start positions, so you could quickly just test any map you want and choose where you will spawn. I am going to make the compiler directly in the editor too, so after you modified the script by mouse, you can compile it into .scr
thats a nice way. saves a lot of time if you don't have to travel/rewrite the script.
TradeMark wrote:
elypter wrote:-Options to choose how to copy coordinates:
XXX.0/5, YYY.0/5, Z.00
XXX.xx, YYY.yy
XXX.0/5, YYY.0/5
The coordinate picker becomes kinda obsolete after the objects are movable by mouse, but i guess i could add some coordinate options in the menu.
it's meant for the rest of the scripting stuff, but you're right, it won't be used that often then anymore.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

elypter wrote:i mean those half or quarter sized blocks used for walls and chimneys.
Ah, yeah i will make the collision info (textures) correct in this editor.
elypter wrote:I thought of it as an area where the editor can do the formating automatically to save work. If the editor has complete free hand over the formating(in that area) this open the door for features like: categorize & sort by name/type/location/...
Im not quite sure what is the purpose of this sorting, you want to see for example all generators in one list? or all cars etc.. Yeah, can be done without need to save the script in different format.

The objects will be grouped automatically if you copy the objects, since it places it under the line where it was copied from, and you can always select where in the code you place your object (actually you must select it)
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

i got another one. I guess it is already on your list in some form but ill post my suggested approach anyway:

autogenerating preview & minimap images by commandline:
-I suggest to read & write the area of the actual map that you can choose with the map image crop tool from & to the .mmp file. This way the map creator can set the area and someone who wants to get an image just needs to run an autmated commandline.
-An option to display weapons in default rotation, fixed size(independent from camera hight) and always on top (so that it is visible when it is under a bridge)
-An option that writes the map name & creator on the map image. (With additional .mmp entry for the position on the image)
yur sa'nok ngeyä
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

elypter wrote:autogenerating preview & minimap images by commandline:
-I suggest to read & write the area of the actual map that you can choose with the map image crop tool from & to the .mmp file. This way the map creator can set the area and someone who wants to get an image just needs to run an autmated commandline.
Hmm, i read this twice now, first i thought its a good idea, but now im starting to think its quite useless to include in mmp file, since every map update you always include the map image file anyways, so the user doesnt need to generate the image on his own. I have plan to add extra info in the GMP file: map size/position, creator info/date/version/url etc. These will be saved in extra chunk, so every time you open the GMP file in my editor, my editor will read those infos, and it wont break any other program, for example DMA editor will be able to read the map and edit the map without losing the info my editor added.
elypter wrote:-An option to display weapons in default rotation
There is a setting that is default on which already displays weapons in 90 degree angle by default.
elypter wrote:fixed size(independent from camera hight)
Fixed size objects wouldnt be useful to make at all, i had it on my plans before, but trashed it since its useless with the objects scale option.
elypter wrote:always on top (so that it is visible when it is under a bridge)
All objects are always on top by default, except if you use 3d render mode. Map images are saved in 2d render mode, so the objects will always be shown from underground places as well. You can quickly switch to 2d mode(s) by pressing "numpad 0" button. Hmm, this gave me idea of whats been annoying me for a while; switching between 3 render modes: i will now remove the other 2d render mode and make menu option which 2d render mode the user wants to use. (the minimap 2d mode is for crappy computers).
elypter wrote:-An option that writes the map name & creator on the map image.
Could be done i guess. Using GTA2 font? I dont know how to render TTF fonts on a bitmap yet.
elypter wrote:(With additional .mmp entry for the position on the image)
I dont think MMP entry is needed for this, you generate the map image only once in each map version, and you always include the map image with the map, so why would i need to write it in MMP? I can make specific editor setting files for each map for these kind of things.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

I need complete list of invisible objects, i only know TUNNEL_BLOCKER for now, anyone care to help?
Gustavob
Immortal
GH nick: Gustavob
|Gustavob|

Post by Gustavob »

INVISIBLE_DESTRUCTIBLE
INVISIBLE_TARGET
TUNNEL_BLOCKER
INVISIBLE_DEAD
You just lost the game.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Is that all? what was the object name for the chimneys?
Gustavob
Immortal
GH nick: Gustavob
|Gustavob|

Post by Gustavob »

TOWER?
You just lost the game.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Coolio, now you can display those invisible objects in my editor too 8-)
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

I found one more: CAR_CROSSING

here is how they look like:

From left to right:
TOWER
INVISIBLE_DESTRUCTIBLE
INVISIBLE_DEAD (useless, yeh)
INVISIBLE_TARGET
TUNNEL_BLOCKER
CAR_CROSSING

Not sure about the INVISIBLE_DESTRUCTIBLE size yet...
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

TradeMark wrote:[quote="elypter"]autogenerating preview & minimap images by commandline:
Hmm, i read this twice now, first i thought its a good idea, but now im starting to think its quite useless to include in mmp file, since every map update you always include the map image file anyways, so the user doesnt need to generate the image on his own. I have plan to add extra info in the GMP file: map size/position, creator info/date/version/url etc. These will be saved in extra chunk, so every time you open the GMP file in my editor, my editor will read those infos, and it wont break any other program, for example DMA editor will be able to read the map and edit the map without losing the info my editor added.
elypter wrote:-An option to display weapons in default rotation
There is a setting that is default on which already displays weapons in 90 degree angle by default.
elypter wrote:fixed size(independent from camera hight)
Fixed size objects wouldnt be useful to make at all, i had it on my plans before, but trashed it since its useless with the objects scale option.
elypter wrote:always on top (so that it is visible when it is under a bridge)
All objects are always on top by default, except if you use 3d render mode. Map images are saved in 2d render mode, so the objects will always be shown from underground places as well. You can quickly switch to 2d mode(s) by pressing "numpad 0" button. Hmm, this gave me idea of whats been annoying me for a while; switching between 3 render modes: i will now remove the other 2d render mode and make menu option which 2d render mode the user wants to use. (the minimap 2d mode is for crappy computers).
elypter wrote:-An option that writes the map name & creator on the map image.
Could be done i guess. Using GTA2 font? I dont know how to render TTF fonts on a bitmap yet.
elypter wrote:(With additional .mmp entry for the position on the image)
I dont think MMP entry is needed for this, you generate the map image only once in each map version, and you always include the map image with the map, so why would i need to write it in MMP? I can make specific editor setting files for each map for these kind of things.[/spoiler][/quote]
I thought it could be used for autogenerating images for gh, map pages, or else.
already suggested, i know. http://gtamp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1775#p1775

BTW: only a suggestion, im not demanding anything ;)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bug:
for every map i am working on i have a seperate small gta installation folder to to able to find and pack files more easily. It would be good if the file open dialog would remember the folder and the file type. But real the bug is, that even when i change the folder and open the mmp in my edit gta folder it opens the the script from the play gta folder
yur sa'nok ngeyä
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

elypter wrote:I thought it could be used for autogenerating images for gh, map pages, or else.
Whats wrong with minimap commandline generation? And how would it work with maps that havent added this data of screenshot position etc?
elypter wrote:Bug:
for every map i am working on i have a seperate small gta installation folder to to able to find and pack files more easily. It would be good if the file open dialog would remember the folder and the file type.
Good idea, i will make it remember the previous filetype and folder, hmm... although, sometimes this can be annoying... Maybe i am able to add some button to open the GH folder quickly, meanwhile i will only include filetype recall.
elypter wrote:But real the bug is, that even when i change the folder and open the mmp in my edit gta folder it opens the the script from the play gta folder
Hmm... should not happen, i will check this out.
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

TradeMark wrote:
elypter wrote:I thought it could be used for autogenerating images for gh, map pages, or else.
Whats wrong with minimap commandline generation? And how would it work with maps that havent added this data of screenshot position etc?
thats true, it would only work for those where this information is present. But a modified mmp would be easier to share & update. maybe even over gh without the need of file sending. This information might also be useful for other cases: eg showing map size in gh.
About Minimap: i used it in editor, not via commandline. the map cropping tool doesn't have an effect. I don't know if im doing something wrong or if isnt implemented yet. The fixed sizes are also a bit annoying. Besides that i dont see weapons or cars on it.
What i was looking for: 2d or 3d rendermode screenshot that covers the area that is written down in a mmp and modifyable by the cropping tool. This triggered by commandline of this style: mapeditor.exe PREVIEW .mmp-path fixed-image-width.
Others might have different preferences but i hope this helps to clarify what i was thinking of.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

elypter wrote:About Minimap: i used it in editor, not via commandline. the map cropping tool doesn't have an effect. I don't know if im doing something wrong or if isnt implemented yet. The fixed sizes are also a bit annoying. Besides that i dont see weapons or cars on it.
Minimap cannot be cropped, only "Map images", file -> save image -> map image -> ...
Seeing weapons or cars on such a small image is useless since they will be only 1-2 pixels big.
elypter wrote:What i was looking for: 2d or 3d rendermode
3d rendermode screenshot cannot be done (if its larger than your screen), at least i dont know how.
elypter wrote:screenshot that covers the area that is written down in a mmp and modifyable by the cropping tool. This triggered by commandline of this style: mapeditor.exe PREVIEW .mmp-path fixed-image-width.
Others might have different preferences but i hope this helps to clarify what i was thinking of.
I still really dont understand the point of this...

If you think it makes it easier for map makers to update their maps, there you are correct, but we dont need this to be automated on the client side (means we dont need to add the info in every MMP file)...

However, I can add some button that will execute every function you need to release the map, for example save minimap, map image with objects cropped from specific area + author text on the image. Is this what you were thinking? This would make it indeed easier to release a map when you dont have to repeat those steps on every update... But generating new images for all users separately is just insane waste of time when you can just include the images in the zip yourself.
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Post by BenMillard »

TradeMark wrote:But generating new images for all users separately is just insane waste of time when you can just include the images in the zip yourself.
Well said.