Epic GTA2 Map Editor (0.6.6602) Beta

Anything to do with GTA1/GTA2 modding (tools, scripts and more).
T.M.
Immortal

Re: Epic GTA2 Map Editor (0.6.5) Beta

Post by T.M. »

jotab wrote:You wrote somewhere that you were looking at network coding for multiplayer etc. Have you read Black Phoenixs thoughts on network code for his OpenGBH on brain.wireos.com? Maybe you should get in touch with him and discuss this, if you two were to team up, we would get a wonderful GTA2 Map Editor and clone! :D
My main goal on this project is to teach myself new things, and i would like to learn things first before teaming up with someone who already knows everything. Maybe when i have learnt enough, i can get a teammate. Also when i have rewritten the editor code :lol: too embarrassed to show it to anymore atm.
jotab wrote:Sorry for spamming your thread with multiple posts in a row, i just got some thoughts after flying through some maps!

Is it possible to adjust rendering distance? On a huge level i can get FPS to dip down to 35 or so, noticeable slowing the camera movement speed!
No problem!

You cant adjust render distance anymore, i removed it for some reason, and was lazy to add back for another reason :-) I will add it back at some day.
jotab wrote:How do you feel about sharing the source code? Maybe not a public repository, but to me and others interested? I have played around a little bit with the code of black phoenix, but never really managed to do something, but it is interesting to read the code and try to understand.
It doesnt feel good, as i said earlier, its not that kind of code i would want to show to anyone. Although, i might release some separate functions i have made, since those have been rewritten and they look pretty good.
jotab wrote:A small thing that would be a good improvement would be to lock the cursor while pressing the scroll wheel to look around, this would avoid the cursor from leaving the rendering area.
Been thinking about that, but i think the current way is ok, i havent had any problems with it: you can already rotate 360 degrees in one turn (if you start dragging from middle, and thats where i always start it).
jotab wrote:Also if you could make it so that if both left and right mouse button is hold, you can zoom in straight in the direction the camera is pointed, this makes it easier to navigate the map imho.
Im not sure if i can do that since left and right mouse buttons are already in use, and i dont think its good since you can never click them exactly at same time so it will result in either left or right mouse button actions being done. Currently there is zoom when you hold SHIFT while using mousewheel, but its rather blocky zoom.
jotab wrote:Great piece of software, moving around makes me want to have a 3D car and drive around on a massive multiplayer game! :D :D
Thanks, and same here! :mrgreen:
jotab
Mugger
Mugger

Post by jotab »

Have a look at the code BP has made, and also the Quake 3 network code he works with as a template. Coding a network application can be both very frustrating and interesting (i made a mp3 streaming Friend-To-Friend app in java).

I can see why it would be embarrassing to show code that you are not 100% happy with, but coding with someone else is great for learning to write understandable and update-able code. I dont know what your intentions in learning to code is, but if you are gonna work on a bigger project it is great to have experience in coding with others.

And finally, IMAGINE A PROPERLY WORKING GTA2!

Could you upload the documentation of the different formats, like SCR, MIS, GMP...? it would let others create their own projects to learn.

Have a look at Valve hammer editor, it is a great piece of software in terms of useability and shows the different zooming and navigation techniques that i talked about in 3d mode. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valve_Hammer_Editor

Best regards!
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

jotab wrote:Could you upload the documentation of the different formats, like SCR, MIS, GMP...? it would let others create their own projects to learn.
You can find all the documents here: http://gtamp.com/gta2/tools/ find for "gta2formats.zip"
jotab wrote:Have a look at Valve hammer editor, it is a great piece of software in terms of useability and shows the different zooming and navigation techniques that i talked about in 3d mode. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valve_Hammer_Editor
Thanks for the tip.
ClaudeSpeedRulez
Ped
Ped

Post by ClaudeSpeedRulez »

How can I put the maps of GTA I in this? I saw some images here with people using the map of Vice City.
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Post by elypter »

You can convert the map with a tool named cmp2gmp. The original city maps have already been converted: http://projectcerbera.com/gta/2/converted/
yur sa'nok ngeyä
ClaudeSpeedRulez
Ped
Ped

Post by ClaudeSpeedRulez »

Oh, thanks mate. ;0
AssainGuy
Hitman
Hitman
GH nick: AssainGuy

Post by AssainGuy »

Arrr when the new version will be released arrr
I love using your editor, it makes looking around in my GTA2 map soo easy, and zone editor is a big help too.
Good luck with that ;)!
i come here sometimes
Software Development / Audio Engineering
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

What are you waiting for the new version exactly? I will release soon, it wont have much additions though. few bug fixes etc.
AssainGuy
Hitman
Hitman

Post by AssainGuy »

@T.M.
I would like to add scripts. Editing that stuff in mispad or notepad is kinda difficult, and boring after a while :)
Also i would like the option to edit the script file in the editor. There is the script preview in the latest one, but there's no way to edit it. I have other scripting programs, but i would like them all in one :)
i come here sometimes
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Script editing is now limited to moving objects positions with mouse. Its easier than editing by hands, you could simply create 50 car declarations in same position in the map by copy-pasteing, and then moving those into different locations with my editor by using your mouse in script editing mode.

Im not sure when i will add possibility to edit the script code in the editor... but it is already very easy if you open the .mis file with some program, save it and open my editor and it will ask "reload script file?" automatically because you changed the file. I use this method when i make scripts, and its very quick!
T.M.
Immortal

Re: Epic GTA2 Map Editor (0.6.6) Beta

Post by T.M. »

Update! reduced file size around 400KB :o

------------------------------------
0.6.6 Beta (05.02.2012)
------------------------------------
- fixed hardware info to not have precise CPU speed nor the list of all resolutions. caused some users hardware info updator detect hardware changes too often.

- changed some debug keys to shift+ combinations to prevent confusion.

- added more debug info again.

- added 3d model generator from the map! file -> save -> 3d model. note: if you want to see the night lighting, enable it in the editor and then save to .ply format! .dae format also has vertex color data in it, but i wasnt able to import the colors into Blender from it. the .ply format will generate two files: one which has flats and one which doesnt, import them both in Blender one by one. if you want to see textures on it: edit one of the meshes in vertex edit mode, press A (to select all vertices) and then go to UV/Image editor (left of "view" button in bottom menu) and press "image" and load the corresponding .tga file. the .dae format doesnt need this procedure, but it doesnt show transparent walls (nor vertex colors) for some reason, still i have no idea how to make it work (bug?). if you want to create your own shadows/shading to the map, you should disable tile shading first: options -> rendering settings -> tile shading. this will make every tile same brightness. it might also be good idea to remove doubles in Blender: select all vertices in edit mode and press W and remove doubles.

- added pixel stars, much more visible (on all resolutions) than the starmap texture! also probably faster to render too. i removed the starmap texture since pixel based is so much more better!

- minimized editor will now respond much faster when unminimized, same with ESC button if launched in GTA2 for test.

- added possibility to quickly launch "gta2 manager.exe" from "options -> gta2 -> gta2 manager".

- fixed some bug/crash on map loading, caused maps to load slower too.

- some minor changes on the SCR decompiler.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Cuban-pete, do you mind i added your 3d rendered picture in my screenshot collection at the first post? :-)
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Post by elypter »

how long will it take until someone imports gta2 maps into gmod? ;)
yur sa'nok ngeyä
AssainGuy
Hitman
Hitman

Post by AssainGuy »

cool!
*grabbing*
i come here sometimes
Cuban-Pete
Immortal
GH nick: Cuban-Pete

Post by Cuban-Pete »

I tried some new renders, I think the daytime render has good settings now, the night not.

There are still some render/texture bugs, like the police station on the left.
render_test.png
render_test2.png
//edit: hmm I should not use the sharp-ing filter so much... hehe
"Mmmm, your eyes are so beautiful."
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

looks awesome! something makes it look like tiny models made out of paper :D it seems you didnt use ambient occlusion this time?
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Thanks [respect]

I did use ambient occlusion, but softer and I added also a sun with ray. I thought that might make it feel a bit more real. :-)
The night render does not use ambient occlusion. I don't like the night render the way I did it, perhaps it is still possible to export also lights (not vertex colors)? Maybe Blender will crash with 100+ lights, but you can always try.

Do you know a map with interesting view I can try to also render?
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Post by BenMillard »

The shadows on the pavement near those crates look so good. They remind me of the pre-rendered shadow textures in GTA1 Liberty City. Nice job.

Everything looks slightly shiny. I guess it would be a lot of work to assign different reflection types for the different groups of tiles? For example, old bricks and wooden crates should be a bit dull while metal roofs should be brighter if they are at the right angle.

Then again, some places have dull surfaces around glass. So two different reflection types within the same tile; it would need extra polygons to be added by hand?
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

It is possible to add another texture, based on the current one, to the material and use that as spectacular (reflectivity) factor. It requires some work to look nice. It is also possible to add another texture for bump-map, like giving the bricks more depth. I can zip the blend file for those interested.

Here it is (open it with Blender 2.61 or higher and press F12 to render):
Bonus Ice Cream Render Blender.7z
(1.16 MiB) Downloaded 455 times
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Cuban-Pete wrote:perhaps it is still possible to export also lights (not vertex colors)? Maybe Blender will crash with 100+ lights, but you can always try.
I thought of it but then i noticed each light needs like 50 different settings in the .dae file, and i got tired of figuring out which of them is actually required. maybe i try again some time. Also im not sure what will happen when you load a map wit 2000 lights on it in blender :-)
Cuban-Pete wrote:Do you know a map with interesting view I can try to also render?
Residential near the bridge area? i cant think of any other map yet...