Epic GTA2 Map Editor (0.6.6602) Beta

Anything to do with GTA1/GTA2 modding (tools, scripts and more).
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Re: TradeMark's GTA2 Map Editor (only Zone Editor currently)

Post by Sektor »

MapEditor.exe "i:\gta 2\data\somemap.mmp" and LOADMAP work great.

I didn't notice any changes when using COLORWATER 0, 1 or 2.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Sektor wrote:I didn't notice any changes when using COLORWATER 0, 1 or 2.
Oh yeah, forgot to say you need to reload the map (CTRL+F2) to see effect.
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Post by BenMillard »

I read all the messages here and the .txt files in the download. The screenshots look fabulous...especially the Vedic Temple one. ;) Wait, zone areas can look pretty?! Who knew!

Sadly, it crashes as soon as it launches. My PC was originally built in 2001 but has received a few upgrades since then.
  • I have Game Hunter installed.
  • Didn't alter any settings for this editor before starting.
  • CPU is AMD Athlon 1400XP.
  • Graphics card is 128MB ATi Radeon 9200 SE.
  • Attachment includes a screenshot of the driver details.
  • Windows XP Home (32-bit) with Service Pack 3.
  • GTA2 is the only game I play on it these days.
  • Used to play GTA3 and GTA Vice City adequately.
I've attached all the debugging info I can find. Sadly the details for "Send Error Report" are read-only. I'm sure it was possible to copy and paste them, some years ago.

Please use DMA controls for actions which are the same as DMA Editor. It is pointless to create a new control configuration since the DMA Editor ones are great (once you get use to them). They are well-known to all GTA2 mappers so re-using them will make the new editor simple to learn and use efficiently.
Attachments
BenMillard 2010-02-11 20-52.zip
Debugging data from crashing as soon as launched.
(110.69 KiB) Downloaded 788 times
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

BenMillard wrote:Sadly, it crashes as soon as it launches.
Hmm, sounds like the bug some other guy had, try to create file "novsync.txt" and see if it fixes. Dont bother about the "Send Error Report" thing, i dont even know how i could use it :?
BenMillard wrote:Please use DMA controls for actions which are the same as DMA Editor. It is pointless to create a new control configuration since the DMA Editor ones are great (once you get use to them). They are well-known to all GTA2 mappers so re-using them will make the new editor simple to learn and use efficiently.
Yeah, i can make it optional so you can decide to use DMA controls or the improved controls. I myself never found out DMA controls logical or good to use in any possible way, they did it all so wrong compared to other programs. Im sure people will eventually start using my improved controls, since they will have much more features / easier / faster to use 8-)
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

I decided to make a new release for a while now. BenMillard, see if this fixes the problems (if the "novsync.txt" didnt fix it).

------------------------------------
0.5.18 Beta (12.02.2010)
------------------------------------
- You can now see player start positions in the editor (numpad4 to enable), they will be visible only if you have .mis file in the same folder where the .scr file is, and when it has the same name as the .scr file.

- Added fps on the window title, also fps will now be updated only 2 times in a second (previously each 100 frames).

- Fixed some .mmp files reading error when using unicode marks in the file contents (only 2 different maps were affected on this).

- Fixed instant crash on cards that didnt support v-sync (i hope). Also the automatic v-sync adjuster removed, may increase FPS on some cards, if you get low fps (30 or under), i suggest to disable vsync by either pressing V or creating file "novsync.txt".

- Editor will now convert those lid flats that had no transparency into normal ground type (fixes some rendering uglyness on some maps). It is always preferred to make maps to follow this procedure (as the documents says lid flats should not be used if there is not transparency in those tiles).
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

For those who didn't look at the readme.txt, push numpad 4 with numlock on to display the player start positions.

It doesn't find the .mis file if I open the map using mapeditor.exe "c:\games\gta2\data\block-fort-frag-2p.mmp" but it finds the .mis file if I just run mapeditor.exe.

edit: Updated version finds the .mis file
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

good catch! fixed now.
Cuban-Pete
Immortal
GH nick: Cuban-Pete

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Really cool program. I also like the zoom-camera thing. If you zoom a lot you can go upside down. :D

This program might also be nice to make GTA2 movies. :shock:
Attachments
camera.jpg
"Mmmm, your eyes are so beautiful."
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

zoom? oh you mean the perspective angle ;) yeah its epic! (F9/CTRL+F9)
This program might also be nice to make GTA2 movies.
I've been thinking about making some camera recording, and setting camera path / events for making movies, and efficient (so it wont record your lag) .avi file writer (or .mpeg etc, you could choose the compression from available codecs). Though, now its pretty pointless when theres nothing moving in the map yet.
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

[dream-mode]
What would be even cooler, is that you can record a normal multiplayer match and load the positions/cameras into your program and you can see the action from different angles and make a nice video about it in your program. :D
[/dream-mode]
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Cuban-Pete wrote:[dream-mode]
What would be even cooler, is that you can record a normal multiplayer match and load the positions/cameras into your program and you can see the action from different angles and make a nice video about it in your program. :D
[/dream-mode]
hmm... good idea, there is a record feature in GTA2 btw, but nobody knows how to replay the games, maybe i will do replay function... :D

BTW you can render simcity style graphics (orthographic) by adjusting the perspective angle enough (F9/CTRL+F9) see below:

just that the rendering starts becoming more and more unprecise, so some of the tiles are ripped apart.

To do this, you need to disable free camera mode and move really far out of the map and adjust perspective angle (if you move too far, the map will automatically switch to 2d mode, so be aware).
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

That looks pretty nice. :D

At what perspective is that? I tried 6.000 and something..
Attachments
simcity.jpg
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

it was as low as possible (i couldnt get it any lower because of the automatic 2d mode switch on distance to map center) would be cool if i could rotate the map normally in that mode... now its really hard to do rotation there. ill see if it fits to my 200 line todo list :lol:
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

I'm not a real map creator, but here are some things I notice (sorry if they are said before):

- The controls are a bit unclear to read in a .txt file. Some images/examples in html design (for example) might be nice. Or very basic tutorial might be nice.

- Is there an option to see controls in the program itself? I sometimes forget them...

- A tooltip / info text when you pressed a key. F10 for example... I have no idea what it does (besides freezing the camera control for 1-2 sec)

- Menu bar at top would be nice. So you can easily navigate to where to open/save map/image/screenshot/(movie) etc.

- No program icon. (I can make one if you like, just give details about what it should look like)

- Is there an undo/redo option/button?

- I removed all arrest restart points, made a new one somewhere else, entered SAVEZONES, got message it was saved, started GTA2, but it did not work...

edit: oops, just read you have 200 line todo list... :roll:
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

When pressing the alt button in zone edit mode or normal mode, the camera control freezes and after i pressed left or right mouse button it goes back to working... that normal or a bug?
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

- Add option that you can deselect all other display zones besides the one you want.

- Zones look off. See attached image. The zone is exactly on parking space (made that with top down view), but from the side it looks to be off. This is perhaps because zone is flying above the ground...
Attachments
zone.jpg
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Cuban-Pete wrote:- The controls are a bit unclear to read in a .txt file. Some images/examples in html design (for example) might be nice. Or very basic tutorial might be nice.
yeah i will make some better docs when the editor is in such shape i can make maps from scratch to the end.
Cuban-Pete wrote:- Is there an option to see controls in the program itself? I sometimes forget them...
good idea, added to todo list ;)
Cuban-Pete wrote:- A tooltip / info text when you pressed a key. F10 for example... I have no idea what it does (besides freezing the camera control for 1-2 sec)
yeah also ive thought about such, sometimes i myself wonder what did i do :? i dont have an idea what does F10 do, it must be some windows related thing since i have not binded any key to F10 in my editor, so it should do nothing. it somehow takes focus out of the program when you press it...
Cuban-Pete wrote:- Menu bar at top would be nice. So you can easily navigate to where to open/save map/image/screenshot/(movie) etc.
would be nice indeed, on my todo list.
Cuban-Pete wrote:- No program icon. (I can make one if you like, just give details about what it should look like)
yeah i also thought there should be some sort of icon, you can suggest an icon you think looks good and ill see if i can use it.
Cuban-Pete wrote:- Is there an undo/redo option/button?
nope, you have to wait that for a long time, i dont see much point in undo in the zone editor anyways... the changes you make arent that critical, just be careful ;)
Cuban-Pete wrote:- I removed all arrest restart points, made a new one somewhere else, entered SAVEZONES, got message it was saved, started GTA2, but it did not work...
how did you find out it did not work? i heard arrest restart zones doesnt work on multiplayer (which is how the TEST function works i think, it launches it as multiplayer) try adjusting the restart zone types, and see if it works.
Cuban-Pete wrote:edit: oops, just read you have 200 line todo list... :roll:
206 now :) no problem, keep suggesting if you have something in your mind.

--

Cuban-Pete wrote:When pressing the alt button in zone edit mode or normal mode, the camera control freezes and after i pressed left or right mouse button it goes back to working... that normal or a bug?
As far as i know that is a windows feature; alt button should open the tools at top left window corner, but i dont have such function, so it shows nothing.

--

Cuban-Pete wrote:- Add option that you can deselect all other display zones besides the one you want.
just click the "display zones:" list and erase everything (you can hold mouse button down and move to erase fast all) and click again on the zone you want to see, but you are right, i will see if i can fit yet another click function to do that ;)
Cuban-Pete wrote:- Zones look off. See attached image. The zone is exactly on parking space (made that with top down view), but from the side it looks to be off. This is perhaps because zone is flying above the ground...
You must use the 2d view when editing zones properly, the 3d view doesnt show the zones in the correct z-axis. todo: notice message when first time using zone editor in 3d mode.
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

Script frontend registry function (which your TEST command uses) launches GTA2 in singleplayer mode. The only way to test multiplayer mode with 1 player is by creating a 1 player MMP file and running GTA2 in network mode.

I haven't tried saving any zone changes with your editor yet.

I assume arrest restart zones require a working road since the cop car has to drive along and drop you off. It's correct that they don't work in multiplayer.
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Hey, I got a crash. Woohoo. :lol:

In my data folder of GTA2 I got this:
crash.jpg
crash.jpg (96.28 KiB) Viewed 33682 times
Put all maps in extra besides those bil. things. :)
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

what is in your maplist.txt ? and can you send me the debug.txt zipped. also tell exactly what did you do before crash.