Epic GTA2 Map Editor (0.6.6602) Beta

Anything to do with GTA1/GTA2 modding (tools, scripts and more).
T.M.
Immortal

Re: Epic GTA2 Map Editor (0.6.5) Beta

Post by T.M. »

Who is using this editor? Now you know!

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/9391/countrymap.png

There is around 120 unique users at this moment. Which i am very happy to hear!

Note: the map isnt up to date, but close enough :-) also the colors arent perfectly matching to the numbers at bottom left, but close enough ;)

---

Other news: some guy asked for exporting the map into 3d model, its probably the next feature im going to add. Which 3d model format it should be? i thought of using .dae (collada) since it seems to be popular.

edit: image collapsed, got annoyed of scrolling the page :roll:
Last edited by T.M. on 03 Jan 2012, 14:33, edited 1 time in total.
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Post by elypter »

iceland is very interesting onsidering it only has a population of 300k
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Cuban-Pete
Immortal
GH nick: Cuban-Pete

Post by Cuban-Pete »

More German than Poland users, strange, Poland community looks larger to me than German (also considering GH users are most from Poland), but than again, gamers!= mapbuilders

Collada seems fine, Blender supports it. :)
"Mmmm, your eyes are so beautiful."
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Yeah i also wondered: WTF only 3 polish users? :shock:
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

their modding section is the forum is dead. and the rest of the forum also is not that active afaik.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Razor
Lunatic
Lunatic
GH nick: Razor, R

Post by Razor »

elypter wrote:their modding section is the forum is dead. and the rest of the forum also is not that active afaik.
yup, rough times for polish community.
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

i was moving some buses in bff-meme and because i am using codesmith i renamed .cst to .mis and modified that one in your editor. this usually works without problems at least as long as i don't touch lines with cs tags (didn't try that yet)

but this time something went wrong although i didn't even modify anything near that teleporting targets.

it turned this
WARP_FROM_CAR_TO_POINT (p<%=i%>, 1.0, 1.0, 112.5, 106)
into this
WARP_FROM_CAR_TO_POINT (p<%, 1.0, 1.0, 112.5, 106)

all other commands stayed untouched
yur sa'nok ngeyä
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

@elypter: the editor will save all script objects even if you dont move them around.

Not sure if im gonna fix that "bug", its not supposed to be able to edit other than .mis files. And i warn you: the more you use .cst abstraction, the less you can edit the files with my editor!

The reason why im not going to fix this is because, once i fix that, you come up with another problem with that format. I repeat: Its not supposed to read other than .mis files! Not to mention, you are the only one using .cst, and i dont like the format that much TBH. Why? It renders my script editor useless... some things just arent possible, i cant display programmed objects positions/styles in my editor any more i could display the .mis script conditional statements in a way such as GIVE_WEAPON would work correctly: i would have to run the script, and that is impossible since the states changes depending how you play the map.

Also, the correct output should have been this, due to mis syntax:
WARP_FROM_CAR_TO_POINT (p, 1.0, 1.0, 112.5, 106)
so, even if i fixed it, it has the possibility to output invalid mis files, which shouldnt be possible! and im trying to avoid all problems like that. if i supported .cst, all my .mis fixes would become useless... if i will ever fix this thing, i would need to support .cst internally, not just like you did; almost like trying to rename .txt into .exe and wondering why it doesnt work!!
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

if you follow your logic you would have to recode the handling for each command so it fucks up cst tags equally
yur sa'nok ngeyä
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

It does fuck up it equally... try any string parameter with p<%=i%> in it.
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

luckily these are really the only playerspecific commands in this map that are supported by your editor. I only have to fix 3 lines after using your editor. Thats ok. still easier than moving cars through text coordinates.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

For those who thinks my renderer is slow!

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/1101/b ... er3fps.jpg
3 fps ^

I've got steady 60fps in my editor with same view :roll:

--

I have got a problem with the blender renderer: i cant make the flats transparent at all, nor can i see the vertex colors! Any help appreciated.
Last edited by T.M. on 03 Jan 2012, 14:34, edited 1 time in total.
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Are you sure that those fps are for the editor view? Maybe it's for the toolbar/box?

I get transparency with these settings:
- transparency on (in materials tab)
- spectacular off (in materials tab)
- image sampling use alpha (in texture tab)
- influence turned on alpha (in texture tab)
- blend mode to darken (in texture tab)

there are still some rendering bugs

render (with ambient occlusion instead of a lamp):
render.png
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Vertex colors in blender can be viewed with "vertex paint" mode. its selectable at the bottom toolbar of the editor view. It normally says "object mode"

but rendering colored vertex's currently gives me ugly results. they are just emitting, but not working like lamp/light. strange...

I think you can better convert those vertex's to lamps.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Cuban-Pete wrote:Are you sure that those fps are for the editor view? Maybe it's for the toolbar/box?
Im pretty sure: rotating is super slow, i could count the frames per second on my head too :-)
Cuban-Pete wrote:I get transparency with these settings:
- transparency on (in materials tab)
- spectacular off (in materials tab)
- image sampling use alpha (in texture tab)
- influence turned on alpha (in texture tab)
- blend mode to darken (in texture tab)
As you said in PM, that only works in F12 when you render the image, doesnt work in real time renderer :(

That screenshot is awesome eye candy ^^
Cuban-Pete wrote:Vertex colors in blender can be viewed with "vertex paint" mode. its selectable at the bottom toolbar of the editor view. It normally says "object mode"
Ah, i see. Unfortunately it seems like blender doesnt know how to import the vertex colors from .dae files :cry:
Cuban-Pete wrote:but rendering colored vertex's currently gives me ugly results. they are just emitting, but not working like lamp/light. strange...

I think you can better convert those vertex's to lamps.
Hmm, how fast will it render 3000 lamps ? :D
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Blender also has a game engine, I think that guy used that to show it in real time. You can start the game engine by pressing the 'p' button. I don't know much about the game engine, sorry.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

made stars better! now using individual pixels rendered on the sky:
pixel based night stars
pixel based night stars
lol... cant see it from the thumbnail though. (click image).

its better because it looks the same on all resolutions.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Which countries have fastest CPU?
This map kinda surprised me, although, there are so few users the error % is huge, but still:
cpumap.png
Compared to most users:
countrymap12.png
jotab
Mugger
Mugger

Post by jotab »

This is a great project!

I just downloaded the latest version and am gonna try it out! Half-way through the thread i figured you are pretty close to making a complete GTA2 remake!

You wrote somewhere that you were looking at network coding for multiplayer etc. Have you read Black Phoenixs thoughts on network code for his OpenGBH on brain.wireos.com? Maybe you should get in touch with him and discuss this, if you two were to team up, we would get a wonderful GTA2 Map Editor and clone! :D

Keep up the great work! Best regards Jon
jotab
Mugger
Mugger

Post by jotab »

Sorry for spamming your thread with multiple posts in a row, i just got some thoughts after flying through some maps!

Is it possible to adjust rendering distance? On a huge level i can get FPS to dip down to 35 or so, noticeable slowing the camera movement speed!

How do you feel about sharing the source code? Maybe not a public repository, but to me and others interested? I have played around a little bit with the code of black phoenix, but never really managed to do something, but it is interesting to read the code and try to understand.

A small thing that would be a good improvement would be to lock the cursor while pressing the scroll wheel to look around, this would avoid the cursor from leaving the rendering area. Also if you could make it so that if both left and right mouse button is hold, you can zoom in straight in the direction the camera is pointed, this makes it easier to navigate the map imho.

Great piece of software, moving around makes me want to have a 3D car and drive around on a massive multiplayer game! :D :D

EDIT: The SCR decompiler and script editor is great, along with Vikes fixed exe i can now fight both the military and my dear friends at the same time!