Epic GTA2 Map Editor (0.6.6602) Beta

Anything to do with GTA1/GTA2 modding (tools, scripts and more).
Pyro
Immortal
GH nick: Pyro

Re: Epic GTA2 Map Editor (0.6.6.6) Beta

Post by Pyro »

What about a flag icon or something for this?
CarThief
Hitman
Hitman
GH nick: CarThief

Post by CarThief »

Well, considering it seems to be suggestion time for the map editor anyway... I've noticed that the search range of thread triggers is displayed in the map editor (though somewhat incorrectly if i recall, or it could just be my coordinates settings), how hard would it be to make these things appear for other commands that search for players/actions in an area? (Excluding maybe zone-checking commands though, the zones themselves are an obvious enough piece of information for that.)
Edit: They would probaly be too hard to notice as enlarged thread trigger boxes, now i think about it. If you do end up implementing this, perhaps something similar to the style of how door checks are executed works better? Just a bit more transparant and perhaps instead of purple/pink a color like blue instead?

And speaking of similar commands, the LOCATE command can also be used to check for a ped in range of another ped, wonder if its any use if the editor displayed the search range of that as well (perhaps optionally though, as is done with things like cranes and sound range). But thats just an small extra suggestion if you got time to kill and its not too complicated to pull off in the first place. :P
I'm not sure if its a circular kind of range check (like sound) or it checks in a square formation instead (like the cranes), though.

And i also dont mind if arrows get displayed in the editor if it is set to point at a location rather than a ped. As long as the arrow accurately points to the location i dont quite mind how its angled, but if all else fails just make it good ol windows mouse-cursor style that points top-left, like he said.

Edit: Almost forgot to mention, but if its any help, my new current computer with Windows 7 (64 bit) doesnt have the crash problem while exiting like the old computer did. Didnt encounter any errors at all, so far. So probaly a Vista thing indeed.
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Post by elypter »

id prefer 4 arrows
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Pyro
Immortal
GH nick: Pyro

Post by Pyro »

elypter wrote:id prefer 4 arrows
That'd have the same effect as a neon sign saying "here I am!" :P
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

CarThief wrote:Well, considering it seems to be suggestion time for the map editor anyway...
It's always a suggestion time! ;)

If you want new commands implemented, just list down the commands you want to be shown in the editor visually. Plus you can give suggestions how to display them in the editor.

Currently there is no support for commands which are used inside the IF-statements.
CarThief wrote:Edit: Almost forgot to mention, but if its any help, my new current computer with Windows 7 (64 bit) doesnt have the crash problem while exiting like the old computer did. Didnt encounter any errors at all, so far. So probaly a Vista thing indeed.
Nice to know!
Pyro wrote:
elypter wrote:id prefer 4 arrows
That'd have the same effect as a neon sign saying "here I am!" :P
I guess i have to make it optional... lol.
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Post by BenMillard »

No thanks. 4 arrows looks there are 4 POINT_ARROW_AT commands in the script.

In your 4 arrow example, none of them has their tip on actual location. In GTA2 the arrow tip touches the location, so that makes the feature for checking what GTA2 will do.

You could make the arrow always point South, like Google Map pins. Consider this version 1 of the feature and perhaps a better idea emerges over time? It's really not even worth the messages we typed, any angle at all would do to start with!
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

How about i make it spin really fast around the center... you like animations, dont you?
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Owned. :D
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Post by Sektor »

The editor knows the player 1 start location, so it could point in the correct direction and move when you move the player. That'll save some time when this gets turned into a game or an editing game, they seem to be popular these days.
CarThief
Hitman
Hitman

Post by CarThief »

Hm, well thats a shame, cant the editor just read the commands themselves while ignoring the 'IF(' and ')' parts and get the information and use it from there? Atleast it would seem that logical and doable, though i'm no expert on coding these kinds of things.

Did actually run into two problems though, first off the maps i've got in my data folder wont get added to the list for some reason, most likely because this computer for whatever reason uses a more... custom path for its program files as the default (for most programs, anyway): C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockstar Games\GTA2\data
The major difference i think in this being the (x86) part, there's a normal one without that number too, though, but this was selected as default when i installed GTA2 through the original game's installer (the old one with radio and various gta2.exe file versions). While afterwards running the installer thing for the enhanced GTA2 that vike patched, bit of a hard way, but i wanted the radio to keep working, heh.

The other problem is even larger though, the editor i simply copied and pasted from the old computer to this one which you kindly added those mission list-related features to, always seems to crash when i try to save changes to the script! It works just fine when attempting to save zones and lights, though, so i'm not quite sure what Windows 7 has against this particular function. The script file in question i was attempting to change wasnt in the data folder though(not that it reads it correctly anyway, as was said above :P), if thats any help, and i havent tried any other versions of the editor so far.

As for the arrows, you could make it one out of various options perhaps? I'd vote for the default being the arrow pointing away from the player 1 spot like it does in-game. Having the 'pin' and 4-arrow and other things as a option is always nice.

Edit: I've got quite the doubts GTA2 will ever make any advancements towards things like live world editing (as people are playing), or even server-based multiplayer, or let alone, a BETTER netcoding then this crap! Its all nice if it happened, but it just seems out of reach, really.
Oh but the idea of a full-fledged server-based free roaming capability on large maps for GTA2 still brings a tear to my eyes, an impossible dream, unfortunately...
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Sektor wrote:The editor knows the player 1 start location, so it could point in the correct direction and move when you move the player. That'll save some time when this gets turned into a game or an editing game, they seem to be popular these days.
Doesn't other players see those arrows?
CarThief wrote:Hm, well thats a shame, cant the editor just read the commands themselves while ignoring the 'IF(' and ')' parts and get the information and use it from there? Atleast it would seem that logical and doable, though i'm no expert on coding these kinds of things.
Sure, its doable, but i havent had the time to do it. It would require some deep changes in the script editor, so it will take some time to rewrite it all. When i first wrote it, i didnt even know about such functions, or i didnt think it was important (it was meant to be car/object placer at first).
CarThief wrote:Did actually run into two problems though, first off the maps i've got in my data folder wont get added to the list for some reason, most likely because this computer for whatever reason uses a more... custom path for its program files as the default (for most programs, anyway): C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockstar Games\GTA2\data
The major difference i think in this being the (x86) part, there's a normal one without that number too, though, but this was selected as default when i installed GTA2 through the original game's installer (the old one with radio and various gta2.exe file versions). While afterwards running the installer thing for the enhanced GTA2 that vike patched, bit of a hard way, but i wanted the radio to keep working, heh.
That sounds odd problem, shouldnt make any difference if there is (x86) in there. Perhaps the Windows doesnt allow reading from that folder? I think i remember a case like that once in here. Can you try making similar folder name to some other drive like: "D:\test (x86)\data", and see if it does the same? Then remove the "(x86)" and see if it works or not.
CarThief wrote:The other problem is even larger though, the editor i simply copied and pasted from the old computer to this one which you kindly added those mission list-related features to, always seems to crash when i try to save changes to the script! It works just fine when attempting to save zones and lights, though, so i'm not quite sure what Windows 7 has against this particular function. The script file in question i was attempting to change wasnt in the data folder though(not that it reads it correctly anyway, as was said above :P), if thats any help, and i havent tried any other versions of the editor so far.
Please send me all the map files which causes crash. So i can test and see what is the problem. Does the script saving work in the "data" folder for the same script? And how exactly doesnt it read it correctly!? As i said, send the files to me so i can check it out!
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Post by Sektor »

T.M. wrote:Doesn't other players see those arrows?
Yes each player sees the arrow from their own perspective. Fixed angle is fine. Dynamic would be more fun to code but also more lines of code.
CarThief
Hitman
Hitman

Post by CarThief »

It mostly just seems handy to be able to know and alter the exact area to check for an IF-related event (if it uses coordinates at all, or some kind of search radius around peds), though i guess it might be a bit tricky, as they ussually have no names or exact definitions going on, but its mostly just an idea anyway. Might help to be able to turn them off though if you do add them, god knows how they might act without the logic operations of the IF statements helping them out, especially when its the complicated kind. :P

I've tried making the folder non-read-only but it just reverts back to read-only when the action is done. And i cant seem to change the name of that map either, i did however went ahead and made a Rockstar Games/GTA2/Data folder with only the sheer basics like gta2.exe, the manager and some sty files and 2 complete maps with mmp, scr, gmp and mis files, which was created in the regular Program Files folder. And suprisingly it did manage to pick up the mmp file from the normal Program Files folder, but not the (x86) one my GTA2 is currently using. And they're both read-only, so i guess that isnt quite the problem either.

So i guess in the end i could just probably pick up the GTA2 folder and dump it in the normal Program Files and it might work just fine, a bit odd that its blatantly ignoring the files at the path i set for GTA2.exe at the non-regular Program Files folder, though.
And i tried running the editor as admin, and then it actually succesfully saved the changes to the script, so i guess its some kind of acces issue?

Perhaps its a handy option to be able to set a custom path to the data folder where it will check for maps? Should help get around these issues atleast.
Shrooblord
Mugger
Mugger
GH nick: Shrooblord

Post by Shrooblord »

Hey, T.M.!
Just dropping in a half year after my previous visit, as per usual, to see how things are going. Looks pretty cool, still! I like that you're still steadily making progress after such a long time. There's no block editor in there yet and given how unstable the official Editor is for me, I'd rather wait until you implement a block editor of your own. :P
Anyway, good job and keep it up!

CarThief wrote:Edit: I've got quite the doubts GTA2 will ever make any advancements towards things like live world editing (as people are playing), or even server-based multiplayer, or let alone, a BETTER netcoding then this crap! Its all nice if it happened, but it just seems out of reach, really.
Oh but the idea of a full-fledged server-based free roaming capability on large maps for GTA2 still brings a tear to my eyes, an impossible dream, unfortunately...
No, indeed, you'd be better off creating a whole new game with these capabilities in mind, rip all the data from GTA II and just make it a GTA II clone game with these added features. The possibility of modding an ancient game to support these kind of modern adaptations seems unlikely.
Shrooblord is here and ready to mod, map and go mad with GTA2!
I applaud TradeMark for the GTA2 Map Editor!
B-$hep
Immortal
GH nick: B-Shep

Post by B-$hep »

I have block editor in my GTA2 editor.

But if we talk about remaking the GTA2 again, whats the point?

There are lots of remakes already, none of them is finished.
OpenGTA is dead, OpenGTA2 pretty much the same, GTA2 NET is active but for how long?
Plus 2 GTA2 map renderers i got who knows where, also one guy wanted to do something but gave out the sources.

Nobody ever gets to the actual fun stuff, PED AI, cars driving around, player that can shoot others, etc etc. I know its hard to make but so far every project just died at that stage.

If it gets harder, people loose interest, because no-one pays for this and coding alone is not so fun.

Coding map editor alone is fine for me, its not so hard and its fun if you love the game you are making editor for. This is true in my case.

Dunno about T.M but he is a good coder and gave me also alot. And im very thankful to him.
If he wants to turn his editor into game, i dont mind.

It doesnt have to be game, it could some sort of LIVE map or script actions preview with moving peds, shooting and stuff. But of course if all elements or almost all are added like in GTA2, it will become a game.
Its not bad.
Always wear safety glasses while programming.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Shrooblord wrote:Hey, T.M.!
Just dropping in a half year after my previous visit, as per usual, to see how things are going. Looks pretty cool, still! I like that you're still steadily making progress after such a long time. There's no block editor in there yet and given how unstable the official Editor is for me, I'd rather wait until you implement a block editor of your own. :P
Anyway, good job and keep it up!
Nice to see you too. What are your plans in map making? Maybe i could get more motivation if you have some interesting ideas to improve the DMA block editor. Currently whats stopping me is that i have to remake the whole rendering process to enable efficient map editing.
B-$hep wrote:Dunno about T.M but he is a good coder and gave me also alot. And im very thankful to him.
If he wants to turn his editor into game, i dont mind.
Actually i think the reason i started this project 5 years ago (Darn! i missed EGTA2ME birthday 18 days ago; project started at 02.07.2008), was making a GTA2 remake. Oh those times: i was prepared to hack the file formats myself with hex editor, until i found out there are actually documentations for them, uh, that saved lots of time! :D

Currently i dont have time to make this into a game. But who knows... maybe some rainy day i get sudden boost of coding frenzy and finish it in a few days! :-)
BenMillard
Immortal

Cooooooombo breaker!

Post by BenMillard »

Please display traffic directions in your map editor. There is no tool which does this for GTA2 on current operating systems, AFAIK.

(And then prioritise the myriad other things suggested throughout this topic based on the cost/benefit to the community, balanced against your personal interest in creating these features and bug fixes. Please.)
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

I'll see what i can do. Why do you need it? Isn't it a bit awkward to edit traffic directions and then using my editor to see where they are set?

Although, if i add them visible in my editor, it shouldnt be too hard to allow editing them as well, because they will be another layer of GFX on top of blocks. Thus, it wont be very fast in means of rendering speed. Might halve your FPS even.
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Post by elypter »

traffic edting would be a very useful thing. i remember how anoying it was to find and correct traffic direction errors in the dma editor although i had the luck that traffic view worked most of the time on my pc.
your editor could also go beyond what the original does, like automatic traffic direction generation for whole streets including turns and junctions, deleting or showing arrows that are not on road type blocks and warning where a train could get stuck.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

T.M. wrote:I'll see what i can do. Why do you need it? Isn't it a bit awkward to edit traffic directions and then using my editor to see where they are set?
That's still a huge improvement over never being able to see them. 8-)