Epic GTA2 Map Editor (0.6.6602) Beta

Anything to do with GTA1/GTA2 modding (tools, scripts and more).
T.M.
Immortal

Re: Epic GTA2 Map Editor (0.6.6.6) Beta

Post by T.M. »

CarThief wrote:The editor will crash when exited via the X top-right at all times, when a map is loaded, when one isnt and even when it hasnt even loaded the main menu succesfully yet! This never had any negative effect on the data i manipulate with the editor though, and if i try to exit the editor and it asks if i want to save changes it wont crash till it is exiting. Though i dont think i've ever tried to save data that way, i ussually just say it to not safe anything.
Using a Windows Vista 32-bit, the editor version is i guess 0.6.6 with some code in brackets: [FC76C9EC].

Also seems to crash when using the exit command.
Thanks for fast reply! I will look at the code. I expected it to be Vista problem though! Gotta try on my Vista to see if i get same problem. I had this before once, but forgot what was the problem... might be some user limitation problem on your account perhaps...

The newest version is 0.6.6.6, please try with that to see if it still crashes (i have fixed some crashes in that version!).
CarThief
Hitman
Hitman
GH nick: CarThief

Post by CarThief »

Well downloaded the current one i think, but the same crashing problem persists. In the exactly same manner.
Not that it really matters to me i suppose, it still works. Doubt its a user permissions problem though, the account on this computer's always pretty much been set as an admin account. Though i guess that wont exclude the possibility entirely, perhaps its trying something but not getting anywhere and cant ask permission either?
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Hmm, just tried with my Vista, and every time i exit, i hear "ding!" sound. Not sure what that means... it doesnt popup any message. Perhaps it crashes, and i have previously selected "dont display this anymore" checkbox or something?
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Post by BenMillard »

TM, sounds likely. Errors happen a lot in Vista so you might have turned off error reporting.

Ticking/unticking menu items doesn't work during runtime for any item I tried.

Saving the ticked/unticked state for all the menu items under Options menu would be a great start. Fog settings, script animation, opacity of objects in loops...I re-use most of those settings most of the time. I find nice settings for viewing my levels, then I lose them. It means I no longer bother getting nice settings when I take screenshots because it takes so long to set everything...and I know I'll have to do it all over again next time.

Hadn't used the editor for quite a while. Just took a quick look at MultiSlayer Cage and wow, the editor even makes a tiny level like that look great. The colour reproducting and smoothing are excellent in your rendering engine, especially considering how low-res and chunky the formats are!
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

BenMillard wrote:Saving the ticked/unticked state for all the menu items under Options menu would be a great start. Fog settings, script animation, opacity of objects in loops...I re-use most of those settings most of the time. I find nice settings for viewing my levels, then I lose them. It means I no longer bother getting nice settings when I take screenshots because it takes so long to set everything...and I know I'll have to do it all over again next time.
What settings do you change to view the levels as you prefer them to be viewed? I can find only: perspective angle, some texture settings, water color & infinite water, fog. And those all are saved into settings.cfg (or at least they are loaded from there). Usually when i open a map, i press a number of buttons in a split of a second, and get ready to fly! :-) Most important settings have shortkeys, you can see them included in the end of each option in the menu which has a shortkey added to them.
BenMillard wrote:Hadn't used the editor for quite a while. Just took a quick look at MultiSlayer Cage and wow, the editor even makes a tiny level like that look great. The colour reproducting and smoothing are excellent in your rendering engine, especially considering how low-res and chunky the formats are!
Indeed they look! I did use quite a lot of time to perfect the rendering and remove any kind of blending errors. :)
CarThief
Hitman
Hitman

Post by CarThief »

Suppose that reminds me of a small annoyance with the editor, it takes a bit long to set the map from day to night and visa versa.
And while not all maps support such a thing, it would be a nice little thing to be able to keep the setting at day or night with the specific setting of darkness (aka from pitch black where there is no light up to daylight standards).
Saves some time if the map is loaded as night from the main menu instead of double loading it, once to open and once to set it to night.
Hm, the DMA map editor has no problem switching instantly to night and day, perhaps the process can be sped up?

That and for some reason my settings regarding the transparancy of objects inside and outside of while loops have gotten somewhat messed up and i cant set it back to showing things before the while loop as solid and things in the loop as transparant. Though thats a really minor problem.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

CarThief wrote:Suppose that reminds me of a small annoyance with the editor, it takes a bit long to set the map from day to night and visa versa.
And while not all maps support such a thing, it would be a nice little thing to be able to keep the setting at day or night with the specific setting of darkness (aka from pitch black where there is no light up to daylight standards).
Saves some time if the map is loaded as night from the main menu instead of double loading it, once to open and once to set it to night.
I cant change the darkness setting: it is map specific. It uses the .mis script settings for lighting level. If you want to watch the map in darker light, you can use the menu options to change it temporarily, but it wont be saved on the script.

I guess i could make it remember the night mode setting, so when you close editor, it would open each map as night mode next time. Added to TODO list. ;-)
CarThief wrote:Hm, the DMA map editor has no problem switching instantly to night and day, perhaps the process can be sped up?
Thats because my rendering engine is optimized to render the whole 256x256 size map. DMA map editor renders only 22x22 size piece at once (about the same speed i render 256x256 map :roll: ). I could make the switching faster, but that would increase the memory use and loading time. There is a speed up possibility, but to do that, i would have to rewrite a bunch of code... its been on my TODO list for long long time.
CarThief wrote:That and for some reason my settings regarding the transparancy of objects inside and outside of while loops have gotten somewhat messed up and i cant set it back to showing things before the while loop as solid and things in the loop as transparant. Though thats a really minor problem.
Hmm... not sure what is the problem, but you can always switch it to show all objects by numapad 4.
CarThief
Hitman
Hitman

Post by CarThief »

Well i think i may have found a potential oversight that will be very hard to work with if i am correct about it.
Was the mission files tab made with a potential scroller if it became too long? On the screenshot it just barely fits but when i load it up in the Editor the bar that displays what files are loaded and the currently selected xyz cuts off the last bit somewhat.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/68 ... onfil.png/

So just wondering if it does come with a scroll bar once i add one or two more mission files? If not that will be quite hard to work with, as i like the easily accesible system thats going on right now.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

You are correct, there is no scrollbar in there (i didnt expect anyone make more than 6 missions :D).

I could add one though.
CarThief
Hitman
Hitman

Post by CarThief »

I guess thats a reasonable expectation given the countless issues i've encountered making all these missions. :P

But yeah it would be nice if next version has a scrollbar when the mission files start to become out of viewing range. Also, the official levels have like 22 missions in total each if you include the final mission every level has where you kill the gang bosses, i believe. So yeah, thats probaly enough reason to add a scroll bar at some point, if the game can already easily bear that many missions.
Maybe also nice to have a number/statistic somewhere that says the current amount of mission files/total script files. But thats just an sheer luxury thing, so i wouldnt put much priority on it.

On a small note i also noticed when updating the editor that previously missions made in while loops did not show up in the file list, but now they do, thats also very nice. Only the missions made in classic phone/thread trigger style where added to the list back then.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

CarThief wrote:Maybe also nice to have a number/statistic somewhere that says the current amount of mission files/total script files. But thats just an sheer luxury thing, so i wouldnt put much priority on it.
Easy, done! :-) I also added the scrolling now. No scrollbar though, just use mousewheel to scroll in the list.
Here is the updated exe:
MapEditor_exe_066601.7z
script list scrolling and script count added (use mousewheel to scroll)
(333.28 KiB) Downloaded 800 times
CarThief wrote:On a small note i also noticed when updating the editor that previously missions made in while loops did not show up in the file list, but now they do, thats also very nice. Only the missions made in classic phone/thread trigger style where added to the list back then.
Nice! I didnt even know that! Though, i remember fixing a problem similar to that... two bugs at once, i guess!
CarThief
Hitman
Hitman

Post by CarThief »

Ah, thanks! So far its working just fine, still the usual minor startup and exiting issues, but its all quite functional as far as i'm aware.
Hm, the project sure came a long way already with 22 counted scripts in total. :P
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/82 ... works.jpg/
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

CarThief wrote:Ah, thanks! So far its working just fine, still the usual minor startup and exiting issues, but its all quite functional as far as i'm aware.
What startup issues you are having?
CarThief wrote:Hm, the project sure came a long way already with 22 counted scripts in total. :P
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/82 ... works.jpg/
Nice! ;)
Cuban-Pete
Immortal
GH nick: Cuban-Pete

Post by Cuban-Pete »

T.M. wrote:Last updated: 12.12.12 (Version 0.6.6.6)
All dates are in d.m.y format.
It's... it's... gorgeous! [sm-cry]
"Mmmm, your eyes are so beautiful."
CarThief
Hitman
Hitman

Post by CarThief »

Just the same error i was having with the previous versions, exact same issues as is detailed from the qoute on the post on top of this page; says the editor didnt exit properly and if i want to send a report and always crashes whenever it is exited.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

CarThief wrote:Just the same error i was having with the previous versions, exact same issues as is detailed from the qoute on the post on top of this page; says the editor didnt exit properly and if i want to send a report and always crashes whenever it is exited.
Ah, i thought it was something else.
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Small feature request: Display mission arrows which use POINT_ARROW_AT for a coordinate location.

Example of use: Mazon Assault, Coret Capture and Niven Capture use this command. Would be nice to see a pink arrow positioned with the tip at the place I am pointing it. The angle of the arrow could be random, or always North, or always point away from (128,128) but please don't animate it!
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

BenMillard wrote:Small feature request: Display mission arrows which use POINT_ARROW_AT for a coordinate location.

Example of use: Mazon Assault, Coret Capture and Niven Capture use this command. Would be nice to see a pink arrow positioned with the tip at the place I am pointing it. The angle of the arrow could be random, or always North, or always point away from (128,128) but please don't animate it!
So you want me to place a pink arrow at that coordinate location where POINT_ARROW_AT points at? And you dont want that arrow to be animated? Hmm... I think it would look really weird if the arrows point at some random direction (whether or not it is always north or east etc). I think it would make more sense if there was 4 of such arrows pointing in this way:
4arrows.png
4arrows.png (1.18 KiB) Viewed 36300 times
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

That's the idea. But only 1 arrow should be shown.

You could make it always point North-West, like default mouse cursors in Windows. Always pointing away from the centre of the map at (128,128) would match the general direction you would normally see in-game.

The direction isn't really important, it's just so we can visually check the tip of the arrow is in the right place on all 3 axes without running around in GTA2.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Wouldn't the 4 arrow suggestion work better, since i dont have to make it point from arbitrary places?