Epic GTA2 Map Editor (0.6.6602) Beta

Anything to do with GTA1/GTA2 modding (tools, scripts and more).
Razor
Lunatic
Lunatic
GH nick: Razor, R

Re: TradeMark's GTA2 Map Editor (0.5.32) (Only zone editor a

Post by Razor »

when?
Gustavob
Immortal
GH nick: Gustavob
|Gustavob|

Post by Gustavob »

Nice screenshot 8-) :P
Looks good from that angle, may look kinda weird when looking at it from another angle since its a sprite :I
Good job there TM :mrgreen:
You just lost the game.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Gustavob wrote:Looks good from that angle, may look kinda weird when looking at it from another angle since its a sprite :I
Lol yeah, i tried other angles and it looks funny :lol: Flat explosions lol.
Razor wrote:when?
When i have finished the script editor ;)

Hmm... where is my todo list.

Oh here it is:
- conveyors/destructors width/height edit (like zone editor rectangles editing).
- crane powerup trigger edit/save.
- render car object list. (hard to make it look good)
- render obj_data object list.
- object add from the list.
- object delete.
- object copy/paste.
- string color function (to make fancy text in the editor easily).
- show object collision boxes by pressing space or some other button.
- fix car on trailer rotation (although i really dont care if it points at wrong direction... i find it more realistic that way anyways )
- display car shops respray color in the object directly.
- test GTA2 behaviour on some things.

along the TODO list on script objects:
- SET_CAR_BULLETPROOF
- SET_CAR_FLAMEPROOF
- SET_CAR_ROCKETPROOF
- SET_CAR_EMERG_LIGHTS
- SET_CAR_NO_COLLIDE
- SET_CAR_JAMMED_ACCELERATOR
- GIVE_CAR_ALARM
- GIVE_WEAPON
- MAKE_CAR_A_DUMMY
- CHANGE_CAR_LOCK
- SET_STATION_INFO (trains visible)
- RADIO_STATION
- PERFORM_SAVE_GAME
- DECLARE_POLICELEVEL
- DECLARE_CRANE_POWERUP
- DECLARE_POWERUP_CARLIST
- DECLARE_DOOR_INFO
- ADD_PATROL_POINT
- DISPLAY_MESSAGE
- DISPLAY_BRIEF_NOW
- DISPLAY_BRIEF
- SET_CAR_NUMBER_GRAPHIC
- SET_CHAR_THREAT_SEARCH
- SET_CHAR_THREAT_REACTION
- SET_CHAR_OBJECTIVE
- DELETE_ITEM
- WARP_FROM_CAR_TO_POINT

Plus:
- lots of thinking how to make things right, script editor menu etc. :?

--

Maybe ready in month or two...?
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Post by Sektor »

The explosions do look cool and must have been a fun distraction. Did you add sound and is it animated?

That's a big todo list, the placing car feature in the beta is already very useful (once you told me where it saves the mis file) and I think others could use that right now.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Sektor wrote:The explosions do look cool and must have been a fun distraction. Did you add sound and is it animated?
They are animated, no sounds. Although, the animations arent exactly like in GTA2... Adding sounds is on my TODO list too, so far i have no idea how to play those low bitrated sounds, i can only play 22hz sounds with SDL_Mixer library :/ I guess i could convert them into 22hz in run time, but it would be nice to find a way to play them exactly like in gta2 without conversions...
Sektor wrote:That's a big todo list, the placing car feature in the beta is already very useful (once you told me where it saves the mis file) and I think others could use that right now.
Thought about that, but i dont want to release something thats half done. We'll see... I have modified so many things i am not very comfortable in a public release yet, i've probably forgotten a lot of things i need to fix. Plus,, theres few bugs i have to fix, but ive not fixed them yet since they are boring part of coding :P

I would like to give you guys a solid work at once, than let you use some piece of zombie every two weeks with new small fixes...

Edit: Also another reason for delay is that the full version will take a long time to finish, and i dont want to create bugged .mis files for 100 users at once, that may lead to epic bug-hunt if some bug was discovered very late after release. Better to narrow down the possible damages done to only few users at once. I've already found few bugs in the .mis file outputting, but fixed them later.

You can still get the newest release if you PM me on forums or in messenger. But that only if you are willing to test the editor, or at least the script editor in many ways... its nothing compared to the work done by me so far, so... its up to you.
Razor
Lunatic
Lunatic

Post by Razor »

how can i make the hight resolution map images? iIm rly need it
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

'file -> save image -> map image -> save map image, tilesize from current altitude'

you can see the tilesize at the statusbar (if script editor is not on)

also you should crop the area before saving
Razor
Lunatic
Lunatic

Post by Razor »

Worked! Thanks:
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

You should use the "save minimap" feature if you are going to make big image from the whole 256x256 area. (or if you are using 8x8 tilesize in the image...) minimap max size is that what you just took :D probably has better quality too since its not depending on your GFX card rendering quality settings. Plus: its 10 times faster ;)

From the image color quality, it looks like you are running my editor with 16bit colors, you should use 32 bit always, new gta2 supports 32 bit in windowed mode.
Razor
Lunatic
Lunatic

Post by Razor »

i know that supports it but some things are still messy with x32
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

If you want to get this "messy" fixed, you should show me a screenshot about this "messy" thing so i can fix it. But if you dont want it to be fixed, its alright... its up to you.
Razor
Lunatic
Lunatic

Post by Razor »

messy with gta2 not tm editor :>
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

What? I think you didnt understand what i said... i didnt talk about gta2 tile sizes. (how would those even be possible on PC version anyways?)
Razor
Lunatic
Lunatic

Post by Razor »

i ment that 32 bits color deep messes with gta2 when you are using windows mode (that is why im useing 16bits). Nothing about your editor or tilesizes :p
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

ARGH. be clearer next time what you are refering at. Use the quote tags.

32bit colors works fine with me on GTA2.
Razor
Lunatic
Lunatic

Post by Razor »

look like this:
zaza.PNG
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Indeed it does. Why does it matter?
Vike wrote:- GTA2 will now run in windowed mode even if you don't have your colour depth set to 16 bit. Unfortunately it buggers up the menu graphics, but if you care run in full screen mode or 16 bit colour depth.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Hmm... i want to make automatic code cleaner. But once again: those damn SUBROUTINES prevent me doing this properly... :evil:

Well, maybe i could do it, even though those subroutines wont look as good... Who cares about subroutines anyways :roll:

Hmm... maybe i could actually detect those :o What if... if there is two subroutine declarations sequentially without RETURN in between, then i should know that one of those isnt used in a "function" way.

Gotta think more of this later... lemme know if you have better ideas :)

Also, I dont know much how you guys use those subroutines... so i would like to know if you use them in some special way.
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Post by Sektor »

The majority of multiplayer scripts are just parked cars and weapon generators.

THREAD_TRIGGER and GOSUB aren't used often. The few scripts that use them seem to have RETURN statements. It shouldn't matter for displaying objects just as long as you write them back to the mis file in the same location as they used to be.

What kind of cleanup? I'd just like consistent whitespace/indenting and casing. Optimizing the code would be overkill.
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

Sektor wrote:THREAD_TRIGGER and GOSUB aren't used often. The few scripts that use them seem to have RETURN statements. It shouldn't matter for displaying objects just as long as you write them back to the mis file in the same location as they used to be.
I saw Pyro using them as a "cheat code" to skip some part of the code, so you can test the map faster... i believe people could use this to make missions in their scripts, or skip some part of some mission... So if i tried to indent those subroutines, it would mess the indenting if the subroutines arent used as a functions that always have RETURN in the end.
Sektor wrote:What kind of cleanup? I'd just like consistent whitespace/indenting and casing. Optimizing the code would be overkill.
Yeah, indenting only. Casing? you mean function names uppercase etc? i already do that when you save the script (although it only reformats those objects you can also edit with my editor).
But the point is, i cant indent the script properly because of subroutines. Well, i could just ignore subroutines, but some people might not like that since ive seen some maps having heavy usage of subroutines...