New textures for new city

Anything to do with GTA1/GTA2 modding (tools, scripts and more).
Alex L
Ped
Ped
GH nick: Alex L

New textures for new city

Post by Alex L »

Hello guys! I'm new here and I really need your advice!
I'm gonna make a big city (for GTA2) with many new textures/tiles. I'd like to create a city like LA or something like this.
But I've got a serious problem - I can't make correct palettes :(
I read all topics about tiles and palettes, but I didn't find an answer!
It seems I do everything what Elypter recommended (http://gtamp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... re+sharing)
I use Stytool for export and import tiles and palettes, use GIMP to extract palettes, to convert 24bit images to 8bit. Also I use Color Pickin Chooser Pro to convert GIMP's palette format .gpl to .pal. But when I import new palette in Stytool (I don't choose first available black palette, I replace existing palette) and then import appropriate image, this image looks weird, colours are not corresponding to colours of its palette. I don't understand why it happens!
May be somebody knows how to make palettes for tiles or to unite several images in one palette? Please help me guys!
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Re: New textures for new city

Post by elypter »

it's been quite a while that i was doing this stuff so i dont know if i remember everything properly...
the difficult thing is to generate tiles that all have the same palett. it could theoretically be done by importing a palett from an existing tile into gimp and apply it to the image. but i dont know if gimp can do that. it also has another disadvantage: the new image has to live with the palett that was optimized for another image so it wont look as good as it would with its own palett.
however there is a hack that i thought of once but never tried: make a big rgb image containing all palettes that should have the same palette. then convert it to indexed(palette image) and then split th images again. if that works you probably should look into macros or external tools and scripting to automate this process.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Alex L
Ped
Ped

Post by Alex L »

Thank you for your quick answer! :)
I also thought about this hack and even tried it! But it doesn't work!
I can show what I do with textures:
1) At first I make an image (24bit) using paint
2) then I open this image in GIMP, choose Image → Mode → Indexed → generate optimum palette (256 colors) → convert
After this procedure I save my image as 8bit
3) In GIMP I make a palette for this image (The “Palettes” pop-menu → import palette), then I open GIMP's folder where all .gpl palettes are stored
4) Using Color Pickin Chooser Pro I convert .gpl to .pal
5) then I open Stytool and import .pal (I replace existing palette, number 2, for example)
6) next I import my 8bit image and insert it in Stytool, of course I choose proper palette №2...
BUT! Colors of the image look really weird... It's strange because I use image's native palette!

I also tried to unite several images in one big to extract one palette for all these images.
I've made three 24 bit tiles and one big 24 bit image (where were these three tiles) and converted all pictures (and big) to 8bit.
Then I have created a palette from this "united picture". But when I imported tiles in Stytool, in spite of exising common palette, colors of all pictures were incorrect!

Can anyone tell what I do wrong in all this "tile production chain"? Guys, I still need your help!
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

do you use the original images with the newly created palettes?
what youd have to do is:
1.put all the original tiles(should be rgb) into one big rgb image
2.make it indexed
3.slice up the images again.(crop, save, reverse change, crop save reverse change, ...) if there is no dedicated tool
4.import 1st tile with stytool. choose overwrite pal
5.for all other tiles you could choose overwrite or leave as it is becasue they all have the same pal.
if you change one tile you have to repeat the whole thing. thats when you want use scripting.

if that doesnt help maybe its not a pal problm but maybe a weird bitmap problem? try with a single tile then.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Alex L
Ped
Ped

Post by Alex L »

That's a miracle! It seems it works!
Thank you so much, Elypter! :D
Finally, I can modify it!

I have only one question. How many tiles (or colors) one palette can support? Because if you remember in wil.sty, for example, each palette contains 32 tiles. But in GTA1-sanb.sty all images use one palette.

P.S. It seems your previous post was 999! Congratulations, it's really COOL! :o
elypter
Immortal

Post by elypter »

np

>I have only one question. How many tiles (or colors) one palette can support?
theoretically as many as you want but i suggest to use one palette for each group of tiles that share similar colors. if a palette has to cover a too big range of colors the color resolution will suffer and transitions wont look as smooth.
yur sa'nok ngeyä