vike's GTA2 update patch enhancement upgrade fix v11.44

Anything to do with GTA1/GTA2 modding (tools, scripts and more).
satinesmith
Car Jacker
Car Jacker
GH nick: ClaudeSpeed

Re: GTA2 v11.3

Post by satinesmith »

Quick questing for Vike or anyone who knows:

I created a installer for GTA2 for everyone in my class to install so we have the same version and maps to play. We play a lot of mayhem Lan games and I was just wondering; If I update the installation folder of GTA2, what manager and version etc should I use?

I noticed that when I start 'Start Network Game' (Lan) with the normal manager I still get your, slightly wider, version of 'Network GTA2'. Does this mean that I can start a network game with the normal manager and still get the benefits of your v11.3 or doesn't your modification work at all when playing custom maps on a local network?
I also noticed that the 100 map limitation on the dropdownbox is no longer a obstacle.

Tanx in advance for your advice
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Post by Sektor »

You should use manager-hkcu.exe or delete gta2 manager.exe and replace it with manager-hkcu.exe. Any changes you make in the old gta2 manager.exe won't be read by v11.3 since they are read from a different registry section.
satinesmith
Car Jacker
Car Jacker
GH nick: ClaudeSpeed

Post by satinesmith »

Sektor wrote:You should use manager-hkcu.exe or delete gta2 manager.exe and replace it with manager-hkcu.exe. Any changes you make in the old gta2 manager.exe won't be read by v11.3 since they are read from a different registry section.
tanx!
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Post by BenMillard »

Perhaps some of your friends will play over the Internet using GTA2 Game Hunter? We are always in need of new players to keep the community alive.
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

It seems the points limit cannot be set as high as normal GTA2. For example, Army Base needs a 10,000,000 Points Limit to stop it from ending too soon.

(EDIT) Army Base will end if you set a Frag game and someone enters the secret mountain. But nobody becomes the winner.
Vike the Hube
Hitman
Hitman
GH nick: vike

Post by Vike the Hube »

That's weird. Very weird. I'll add it to my list :P

Seems I'm not getting notifications about replies to this topic anymore.
Vike the Hube
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Vike the Hube »

Actually I just tried 9.6f on my machine and it has the same limit :| Doesn't really matter because I should be able to fix it anyway.
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Custom .gci isn't working when I use Play Alone from Game Hunter. It does work when I Create Game using a .mmp with PlayerCount = 1.

Would be nice if it worked in both places. Or even without going through Game Hunter.
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

The play alone feature is just the same as doing skip frontend from GTA2 Manager, GTA2 doesn't know what MMP file you read the GMP/SCR/STY from, maybe you didn't even read it from an MMP file. It could be done if gta2.exe supported GCI/GXT filename as a command line option or registry key. Vike only knows how long that would take to add. You can already test GCI/GXT changes quickly offline by renaming files.
Vike the Hube
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Vike the Hube »

Yeah, I've been thinking about removing the requirement for the player count line anyway; I guess that would solve the problem?

Changes so far:
- Prevented the debug text that goes with "show instruments" from overlapping. For those who don't know, this allows you to see information about whether your opponents have a car, what speed they're travelling, etc. I will eventually make this a setting in the lobby- it's a gameplay altering feature.
- Disabled "Show counters" debug flag in multiplayer because I kept leaving it on. It makes multiplayer crash, and Residential single player as well.

Show instruments no longer overlaps but that means it takes up far too much screen space and is much more distracting. It still needs adjustments.
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Re: Vike's enhanced GTA2

Post by Sektor »

Fulval wants . and - keys to work like they did in v10.3. Make it so!

Removing the need for PlayerCount line in MMP files won't make the "Play alone" button in GH use a custom GCI file. GH would need a way to tell GTA2 to use the custom GCI or GTA2 could use a GCI with the same name as GMP or SCR if found.
FulVal
Jaywalker
Jaywalker
GH nick: FulVal

Post by FulVal »

its only a suggestion, not a required feature, i don't know if is possible to add it, i don't think...

you can try...
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

I would like the Network GTA2 window to remember the position I put it in. So I can put it out of the way but with list of joined players visible and it always uses that location afterwards.
Vike the Hube
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Vike the Hube »

Chat improvement is a work in progress ;) Had a surprising amount of difficulty implementing it last time.

As for remembering the position, should be easy enough, so I'll add it to the list :)
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

Setting starting frags would be good for resuming from a crash/disconnect and giving everyone the same frag count as they had before.
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

That would surely be abused? Lame hosters would give themselves a bunch of frags moment before starting the game. Nobody would see until the game started. Then anyone who left in disgust would be called a quitter by the host. A screenshot of the score screen once all players had gone would "prove" that.
Cuban-Pete
Immortal
GH nick: Cuban-Pete

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Is it possible to link numbers to weapons? Like 1 is fist, 2 is pistol, 3 is shotgun? This way it's easy to switch when you have like 3 or more weapons. Now I need to use z an x.

Is it possible to add option to walk? Would be nice in fights, I think. Enemy thinks you run that way, but suddenly you walk and he misses. :P

Is it possible that you can change gear yourself in game? Would be funny to do drifting.
"Mmmm, your eyes are so beautiful."
Vike the Hube
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Vike the Hube »

Walk would be interesting. Definitely doable because if you're walking backwards off a building you walk, not run. Changing gear would be pretty cool too for that matter. I can probably do that easily as well.

Weapon hotkeys is already on my list.

Just so everyone knows, my current priority is working on resolving the ports issue (completely) with Sektor.
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Walking would be lame. Why would you ever want to go 3mph in GTA2? Running is about 12mph which is still far slower than the slowest cars.

Changing gear will not be playable. GTA2 makes 3rd gear accelerate faster than 1st gear. So you'd actually get best acceleration staying in 3rd gear all the time - defeating the point of being able to change them.

In contrast, fixing the desync from ROAD_BLOCK_TANK_MAN would allow any level to have maximum wanted level with natural army and tank roadblocks (such as Jailbreak). It would also enable AI bots to use this feature in levels like Army Base. 8-)
Razor
Lunatic
Lunatic
GH nick: Razor, R

Post by Razor »

walking is good :D if you can create a command line for that :) eg force sb do walk :>