vike's GTA2 update patch enhancement upgrade fix v11.44

Anything to do with GTA1/GTA2 modding (tools, scripts and more).
CarThief
Hitman
Hitman
GH nick: CarThief

Re: Vike's enhanced GTA2

Post by CarThief »

Well apparently last time i tried to post the forum was suddenly moving servers, a while afterwards the main website has some kind of error and was also inaccesible. I guess you where busy doing something or whoever's hosting this was?

But back to the main topic, wouldnt it be possible to make a .bat/.exe file that completely automates the process?
Like maybe something like this...

Code: Select all

regedit /s carthief.reg
run gta2.exe
wait untill gta2.exe is closed
regedit /s carthief-undo.reg
close itself/this window
Seen some old DOS-using games use functions like waiting for something to close or otherwise, perhaps thats reasonably doable as a short .bat or .exe file to run a custom map with?
And i assume overwriting the registry would set the map, sty, scr and save to those values just as if they where entered manually in the manager? Not a very big drawback if so, as long as skip frontend is enabled or disabled accordingly.

And if waiting commands arent available i guess it might work without too? Edit the registry first, run GTA2.exe and have it use those values while during the game it sets skip frontend back to off and discretely close it. Assuming registry changes to the manager doesnt screw with the game, and gta2 can properly load the data before its overwritten again, hm... Sounds rather gimmicky. :P
Vike the Hube
Hitman
Hitman
GH nick: vike

Post by Vike the Hube »

Yeah, that's what I meant ;) GTA2 might take a few seconds to load the registry settings because it does a lot on startup. So if you can't "wait for it to exit", then just put a sleep in instead. It will still work because like you said it won't save the registry settings again.
CarThief
Hitman
Hitman
GH nick: CarThief

Post by CarThief »

Well if all it needs is a batch file and some .reg files i could probaly put this together myself if i know the wait/sleep commands for that thing. I wonder if there's also a command to have it display a message, so it could say that it needs time to load the registry files, for example. And if needed have it display an 'press any key to exit' kind of message?

But just to be sure i take it the only drawback is that it changes the gmp, sty, scr and save entries in the manager's debug menu?
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Post by Sektor »

Make the army tank AI shoot and drive at the same time, maybe that would be too difficult, ignore this idea.

This topic is 18 pages. Someone go through and put all the feature requests in one post and split all the offtopic chat into suitable topics.
Pyro
Immortal
GH nick: Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Sektor wrote:Make the army tank AI shoot and drive at the same time.
Or even the gun jeeps to fire their machine gun on the move? Considerably more jeeps drive around than tanks! Holy mother of spray-and-pray :shock:
Devastator
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Devastator »

A small but minor bug(oversight) I've noticed is that Special Agents that get out of cars have their weapons reversed, i.e. the one that fires a shotgun drops a Silenced S-Uzi & the one with S-Uzi drops a shotgun. Also would there be any way to fix the bug where if two cops get out of two different cop cars at the same time they keep entering & exiting their cars?
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Post by BenMillard »

We could split the best messages into Lantyz's Gameplay issues that need fixing topic?

Admins and moderators would be able to update his first message, too. I've not seen him around for ages.
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

There's a 22 character SCR filename limit (might be less than that). If it's easy to increase then why not.
Rick
Car Jacker
Car Jacker
GH nick: Sequential

Post by Rick »

Wrecking RC Cars counts as selfkill in MP.
I guess also in SP, but there you keep your number of lives??

I wonder how hard it is to create a workaround in the exe?
I tried so hard to get a workaround with the script but i didnt find a solution. :cry:

Maybe you can make "WARP_FROM_CAR_TO_POINT" can exit the RC session without killing you.
Then you could EXPLODE it? The question is what the trigger is.
I am working on a "mixed mode map" and working with points is not satisfying.

And the number keys useable for firing messages and short sounds from the raw please haha.

Thanks!!! :-)
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Post by elypter »

unfortunately thete is no way to not loose frags when destroying an rc car. from what i rmember it crashes when teleporting out or it crashes when the rc car gets destroyed
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Rick
Car Jacker
Car Jacker
GH nick: Sequential

Post by Rick »

Another idea for the RC issue:
A script command -> ADD_FRAG_POINT (player)
so after each check IS_CAR_WRECKED this new command could be used and give the frag point back after the "selfkill".
This command is probably also good for other scripting possibilities.
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Post by elypter »

or even more useful: a get and set frag command
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

gta2.exe creates HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\DMA Design Ltd\GTA2\Screen special_recognition on launch. It should use HKCU.
Vike the Hube
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Vike the Hube »

11.44 is out :)
B-$hep
Immortal
GH nick: B-Shep

Post by B-$hep »

Vike
Where i can read whats added / modified in each version?
I dont use your modified exe because i dont play multiplayer but its just interesting for me.
Always wear safety glasses while programming.
Vike the Hube
Hitman
Hitman

Post by Vike the Hube »

First post :)
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

11.44 is out again. Vike fixed a desync bug with sin/cos.

Download it again if you downloaded before this post.
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Soldat cannot open the .7z at start of first message. I've told him to use the installer instead.
jotab
Mugger
Mugger

Re: vike's enhanced GTA2

Post by jotab »

I tried the 11.44 version and it worked great for LAN gaming, didnt test anything more but it is still great to see that you are still developing it!

I found a bug that you might be aware of, when setting up a LAN game the game crashes on join, or you cannot see the other players game. This was caused by our router having UPnP turned on, which confused gta2 even though both were on the same lan. If it is possible to trace what causes this if UPnP is turned on on a router on the network and make it still work/disable UPnP altogether the problem would be gone and it would be so much easier to set up a lan game.

Best regards Jon
BenMillard
Immortal

Re: vike's enhanced GTA2

Post by BenMillard »

We are generally aware that UPnP causes issues and most GTA2 multiplayer guides suggest to disable it. (I had problems with a NetGear router which were solved by disabling UPnP in that router.)

This specific situation with a LAN connection might be new information. Perhaps it should be added to those guides.