Map Editing Coop

Anything to do with GTA1/GTA2 modding (tools, scripts and more).
Jones
Psycho
Psycho

Map Editing Coop

Post by Jones »

Hi,
is anyone interested in making a map in team together? Personally I'm more interested in scripting and I don't like the map editor that much (even with T.M. good improvements) :) Changing the gmp at the same time might not be feasible, at least I don't know how to merge it possibly, but I think it still has many advantages working together: less time needed to complete a map (or more complex ones), knowledge exchange , multiplayer testing ...
Let me hear what you think :idea:
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Re: Map Editing Coop

Post by elypter »

i think you have good chances. most modders rather make gmps than scripts.
btw there are hundreds of maps and many of them look quite good. But they are hardly played because the weapon placing and the scripting is bad. if good scripting was added they could become quite popular.

list of most maps: http://gta2dare.omnitude.net/maplist/li ... mode=exist
yur sa'nok ngeyä
T.M.
Immortal

Post by T.M. »

I have had that idea for long time now: you could connect by IP to create a map together. But unfortunately writing all this code would take a lot of time, and currently i dont have that time.

I think those guys who made that GTA game with networking capability, could easily add networking options for the DMA map editor...? :D
Pyro
Immortal
GH nick: Pyro

Post by Pyro »

A long time ago back when I first started doing GTA2 mapping I did a co-op map with someone and we basically divided the city in two separated by a river and transferred it between us every few days.

More recently though, I helped Ben with some parts of the Jailbreak map (seen here), but it was different as we both had separate copies and he'd merge my changes into his master version.

So yes, it does have its benefits too and brings up interesting new ideas and pointing out bugs.
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Post by BenMillard »

Pyro wrote nearly all the mission code for Jailbreak. I just indented and named things differently! :D

Most maps made by teams never get completed, such as Pacific City or Myriad Islands (even their website is dead).

Most of us can't really plan and schedule GTA projects because work and Real Life­­™ take priority. That makes it hard to work in teams. Unless you accept it's gonna be an extremely long and random process, like Sektor does with my occasional enhancement demos for Game Hunter.
Jones
Psycho
Psycho

Post by Jones »

Thanks for the input guys ;) I think I will follow elypter's proposal. I found recently ALPINE's thread and he even asked for help. That said, I'm still open for team work if anyone is interested.
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Post by BenMillard »

elypter wrote:btw there are hundreds of maps and many of them look quite good. But they are hardly played because the weapon placing and the scripting is bad. if good scripting was added they could become quite popular.
Exactly that! Choosing better respawn points can also turn unplayable levels into fun ones.
Rick
Car Jacker
Car Jacker
GH nick: Sequential

Post by Rick »

I see this topic for the first time and would like to recommend Dopbox for that purpose to other modders.
Me and Jones used it sharing a small gta2 installation and it was quite comfortable.
Just deselct the synchronization for the replay folder to avoid unnecassary uploads and have fun.
Editing, playing, everything.

Of course ONE at a time can work on one file of course (otherwise you will "over-save" the work of your companion who saved before).
Jones mostly did the script while I worked on map files.
If you want to work on a gmp together for example I suggest everybody uses his own gmp file and then copy and paste transfer selections from the different files into one file. Same with other files. Not a big deal of course.

Keep privacy [invis] in mind when using that service.