GTA2 ScriptPad

Anything to do with GTA1/GTA2 modding (tools, scripts and more).
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Re: mispad

Post by Sektor »

You have to clear them from the folder that contains the .mis file and also from the mispad\compiler folder. I doubt it's a 64bit issue but I use Windows 7 32bit myself. It could be a filename or permissions issue but that should be easy to test.
Pyro
Immortal
GH nick: Pyro

Post by Pyro »

It makes you wonder why they even put generated .tmp files in to it when they are practically identical to the contents of a .mis file :roll: Could that be removed?

Also, it's still a pain in the ass compiling single player mission scripts (they need to be in a different folder inside the data folder, much like how there is wil, ste and bil folders with the .scr files), hence why I got completely fed up with them (and the crashing!) after getting back in to GTA2 a few months back. Was making good progress on my highly detailed single player example script with missions ;) I see why people do multiplayer scripts only now (but quite an art making own single player missions, especially "mission packs" for the original cities years back) :shock:
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Post by BenMillard »

Over the past week I've tried colouring simple GTA2 code. Follows the colours and general conventions of View Source in Firefox, re-interpreted to the different syntax. Constants are orange like, HTML special characters (aka entities or NCRs).

This generic approach to code colouring seems pretty powerful. Hope to deploy it across my whole site over the next year or so.
B-$hep
Immortal
GH nick: B-Shep

Post by B-$hep »

I don't know what you guys use here for scripting.
T.M editor or MisPad but i personally work on new MisPad with code folding, better syntax highlighting and so on...

I will try to upload some very beta soon.
Because making code folding with SynEdit is PITA i choose another component.
And because it is a bit different (but with more powerful features) it takes a bit time.
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Replace feature doesn't work in Mis Pad. The text is found and selected but isn't changed.

Please don't add code folding. The syntax of script is cluttered enough, without a bunch of extra lines and boxes to the left.
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Post by elypter »

BenMillard wrote:Replace feature doesn't work in Mis Pad. The text is found and selected but isn't changed.

Please don't add code folding. The syntax of script is cluttered enough, without a bunch of extra lines and boxes to the left.
WTF, it is impossible to manage scripts over 500 lines without code folding!!!
if i did not have code folding it would have taken 3 times longer to make bc_ac or tyty army, just because of scrolling and searching for the place in the script i want to modify. Without it gta scripting would be a total mess and long scripts totally impossible.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
B-$hep
Immortal

Post by B-$hep »

elypter, i will try to get some color ideas from your N++ highlighter.
Just to get something up quickly.

I can always modify it in future.
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

"Replace" doesn't work but "Replace all" works and fortunately that's usually what I want to do when I replace. I still want ctrl+h to bring up the replace dialog.
B-$hep
Immortal

Post by B-$hep »

I wonder what version you use?
I downloaded the source from the first post in this thread (v1.8).
There isn't even such menu items like Replace / Replace All.

Anyway i will fix the bug you reported and will upload the fixed one asap.
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

The only way to access the replace feature is to click the icon in the toolbar. It's not on the menu.
B-$hep
Immortal

Post by B-$hep »

Ok, i attached "new" fixed version.
Included a small ReadMe.txt about what has been done.

Search and Replace should work now.

Any troubles? Tell me..
In the meantime, i will continue work on new version.

EDIT:
Thanks to Cuban-Pete for nice new icons.
Last edited by B-$hep on 26 Feb 2011, 14:11, edited 1 time in total.
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

That EXE is very much smaller in filesize than the one I had before. Just 360kB instead of 844kB. I'm using version 1.5 build 310904 (as in 31st September 2004) by JernejL.

I doesn't seem to know the settings I had in previous version. Such as "Use Friendly Colours" since those are perfect. It also forgot my "File" history, which I do sometimes use. Hmm, actually it seems you broke the settings entirely - opened it a second time and it's back to using the unfriendly colours.

Please make it save window size and position! That's probably the most-requested feature of all. From me, anyway...

Ctrl+Alt+Letter are used by Windows as a fast way to launch shortcut files. For example, I have Ctrl+Alt+G to launch Game Hunter. Don't use them within applications; Ctrl+W is the Windows standard for closing a single window.

Wow, the Replace window can now do Regular Expressions?! Awesome! That should allow RegEx hackers to replace code for all 6 players at the same time, by using a number range.

(EDIT) Also, I can't use Return to confirm my selected command from the Insert Command popup list.
Last edited by BenMillard on 26 Feb 2011, 13:26, edited 2 times in total.
B-$hep
Immortal

Post by B-$hep »

Wow, the Replace window can now do Regular Expressions?!
Yep, "Search" window also.
But it's up to you or somebody else to test it. I haven't time to fully test it atm.

Sorry about that you lost the config.
I will look what's wrong in there.

And will do as you said.

Thanks for replying.

EDIT:
Just to tell you that the source of Mispad is big mess, that's why some things may get broken.
I had to do some code cleanup (code that caused random crashes and memory leaks).
Even one component that just didn't allow exe to close. The icon from taskbar was gone but exe was still running in background. I had to kill it with Task Manager.

But i will fix what i broke.
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Ah, I see. Let's consider this an "alpha test version" for a while. Thanks for your efforts, I'm sure you'll make it better over time.

(EDIT) Reverted to the previous version and all is working, so nothing got corrupted.
B-$hep
Immortal

Post by B-$hep »

I made a bit improved version.
1) Settings are now saved in INI file (including MRU files list) instead of registry.
I dunno how Win7 or Vista look at this but if there is any problems i can always change that.
For some reason the old code that tried to save settings in registry didn't work on my XP Pro here. So i just commented out the old code and used INI file instead.

2) Friendly colors is now ON by default.

Attached new version. ReadMe has also updated.
Attachments
MisPad1803.rar
(339.37 KiB) Downloaded 748 times
B-$hep
Immortal

Post by B-$hep »

Just to show where i am atm.
1) Syntax highlight
2) Folding

Whole huge part of LEVELSTART - LEVELEND hidden:

And visible:

EDIT: of course not final hightlighting and folding.
JernejL
Hitman
Hitman
GH nick: RedShirt

Post by JernejL »

B-$hep wrote:Just to tell you that the source of Mispad is big mess, that's why some things may get broken.

It worked fine until you started fiddling with it, don't blame me if it's not post-xp compatible out of the box and you don't know (or want to ask me) how to fix it.

Anyways, this approach is totally wrong, at this stage the only thing useful out of mis pad is the compiler hack, which should be put into a real text editor - like emeditor as a plugin..
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

I like the little improvements. It would be best if the compiler was turned into a proper command line app that could be integrated with any standard IDE but improving the mispad IDE is the next best thing and doesn't require ASM knowledge.
B-$hep
Immortal

Post by B-$hep »

JernejL wrote:It worked fine until you started fiddling with it, don't blame me if it's not post-xp compatible out of the box and you don't know (or want to ask me) how to fix it..
No JernejL, i don't blame you, the MisPad 2.0 is rewritten from scratch.
The plugin idea is good, so there is a opion for users to choose from.

If you are against that im rewriting it, just tell me, i will stop the whole project.

I will add commandline support. I will even try to add it as plugin to some popular editors.
Will let you know.
B-$hep
Immortal

Post by B-$hep »

Ok, few more images. I had to replace one editor VCL, because it was extremly slow with big files. I asked the support why it's so slow, they told me that it's designed for small files. Too bad.
So i had to switch bacl to SynEdit. I tried with full color highlighting and DAFESDeathValley.mis (158KB) and it's still very fast. So i decided to continue using it.
Because im bit sick atm, got a fever 37.6 - 38.2 and i don't feel pretty well, i don't code it everyday. Just time by time, if i feel better.

So here are some new pics:
All collapsed:

Only IF..ENDIF collapsed:

All uncollapsed:

What's planned?

[*]Any user will be able to edit highlighting colors to fit their needs, they are not hardcoded.
[*]I have plan to add autocompletion support like Delphi has. If works correctly, then it will speed up script writing alot.
[*]The commandline support.
[*]More...