GTA2 with wine

Anything to do with GTA1/GTA2 that isn't covered by the other forums
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

GTA2 with wine

Post by elypter »

First of all, usually gta2 runs perfect on wine. I got it working on 2 versions of suse and 2 versions of ubuntu. But now on the system i have on my pc at the moment (ubuntu 10.4 with nvidia proprietary drivers) it doesnt work.
I tried many versions using the "play on linux" launcher but the result is always the same: it crashes or it views only a window frame and crashes the whole system (at least the desktop). gtamanager and gamehunter work, only graphic seems to crash it.
Has anyone made experiences with gta2 on ubuntu 10.4 or problems like this?
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Vike the Hube
Hitman
Hitman
GH nick: vike

Re: GTA2 with wine

Post by Vike the Hube »

Yes- follow "Samuel"'s advice on the bottom of http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... n&iId=3132 except for the following:
Use the glide wrapper from www.zeckensack.de/glide/ instead of OpenGLide.
When using GTA2 > v11, use HKEY_CURRENT_USER for all registry entries instead of HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

Let me know how you go ;-)
Vike the Hube
Hitman
Hitman
GH nick: vike

Post by Vike the Hube »

Also try to avoid using GTA2 manager once you've done the registry modifications on the WineHQ website- it destroys them and you have to re-enter them unfortunately. I plan to add the Glide option to the GTA2 manager at some stage, but so little time...
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Post by elypter »

i tried everything but the result didn't change. I even got the version that i was playing on the univerity linux mashines. It's not that a big problem. on my desktop i have both systems anyway, but thanks for the help.
yur sa'nok ngeyä
Salamander
Janitor
Janitor
GH nick: Salamander
KingSalamander
Sally
[00]

Post by Salamander »

I know you got it working, this is just a note for others because this thread easily comes up on Google.

You can get GTA2 working in Linux very easily by following this very simple guide:
http://londonlight.org/gta2/howto-gta2-linux.php