Simpler "Network Help" Instructions

Discussion about the website and the forum goes here.
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Simpler "Network Help" Instructions

Post by BenMillard »

Some ideas I threw and Sektor in GH about his port forwarding advice. I made lots of suggestions, the result would be a bit like this...

Setting your Router to work with GTA2
Basically, you have to forward these ports from your PC to your router. This is really technical and may take an hour. You can ask other players for help using GTA2 Game Hunter.
  • Port 47624, UDP and TCP.
  • Port range 2300-2400, UDP and TCP.
  • Sometimes you have to change security settings.
You must find the make and model of your router - it's usually written on a label, stuck to the bottom. Find the instructions for your router and follow them very carefully. If your exact router isn't there, try some which are nearly the same. Do not download their software.

Some router admin pages only let you open ports one-by-one. DXport can force GTA2 to use one port but this isn't necessary for most routers.

If all else fails, you could make a private network using Hamachi. You won't be able to play as many people, though.
BenMillard in Game Hunter wrote: <BenMillard> network-help is way too long and waffly, although it does carry some relevant info
<BenMillard> the port numbers should be the 1st line, so people looking for a reminder or who already know about it can find that info fast
<BenMillard> the 1st paragraph is spot-on
<BenMillard> 1st subheading as well
<BenMillard> 1st paragraph, 2nd section, is too complicated and long - could re-arrange into 3 sentences and use simpler words
[...]
<BenMillard> 1st paragraph in that section says "The you need to..." then says something which isn't the first thing you need to do
<BenMillard> 2nd sentence in that part talks about wires but some players use wireless and play with others who do the same
<BenMillard> I'd say the 1st paragraph in that section should be the simple explanation which !help used to give
[...]
<BenMillard> then you'd have the paragraph summarising how to basically do that
[...]
<BenMillard> (that's the link to portforward.com)
[...]
<BenMillard> that would make that section of instructions much smaller, arranged in the order of most common use, and use simpler language (so would probably translate better, particularly by machines)
[...]
<BenMillard> strange how you have Network Help and Multiplayer Guide and Multiplayer Help...
Salamander
Janitor
Janitor
GH nick: Salamander
KingSalamander
Sally
[00]

Re: Simpler "Network Help" Instructions

Post by Salamander »

Agreed, I'm all for detailed explanations but the key steps need to be simple, unambiguous and clearly visible.
Cuban-Pete
Immortal
GH nick: Cuban-Pete

Post by Cuban-Pete »

That port range doesn't need to be completely open. I only have 2300-2304 and that works great. Perhaps up to 2308 is certainly enough, your never gonna play with more that 8 players gta2.
"Mmmm, your eyes are so beautiful."
elypter
Immortal
GH nick: elypter

Post by elypter »

I like the idea of a short overview. this big text block is not very encouraging. But you shouldn't discourage people in the first sentence either.

And before the howto for manual portforwarding i suggest that my new automated portforwarding tool should be mentioned. It will not work with every router but its very easy to do.
http://gtamp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=225

and when everything is done but it still doesn't work it might help to disable upnp in windows(doesn't have anything to do with routers upnp and port forwarding) with this tool http://www.grc.com/unpnp/unpnp.htm
yur sa'nok ngeyä
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Post by BenMillard »

• The GTA2 landing page doesn't even mention Game Hunter.
  • It lists the 350MB installer (which nobody actually needs) before Vike's updated version (which everyone in Game Hunter pretty much needs).
  • The 3 mirrors for DrSlony's rip could be a single bullet list, to save space and show they are related.
  • A link to Game Hunter in that opening section, maybe with a screenshot, would let newbies actually find people to play.
  • GTA2 Tools starts with a tool nobody needs (it's a novelty) and source code nobody can use (it's Delphi).
  • TM Viewer is probably the most widely interesting tool.
  • Original handling file is probably the next most useful thing, as Power Manager makes it easy to change that file without a backup.
  • Debug key for GTA2 Manager is obsolete?
  • Does anyone edit saved games? Seems quite niche.