Maps on GTAMP idea

Discussion about the website and the forum goes here.
Cuban-Pete
Immortal
GH nick: Cuban-Pete

Maps on GTAMP idea

Post by Cuban-Pete »

How about this? Not sure if it would be better (read: easier) to just make it a static page. :)

maps_idea_01.png
"Mmmm, your eyes are so beautiful."
Sektor
Boss
Boss
GH nick: Sektor

Re: Maps on GTAMP idea

Post by Sektor »

I like it. Still a nice simple layout but some style. My current map page doesn't fit the style of the main site or the forum.
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Thanks.

Should I create a static webpage or is there somebody who knows to make it dynamic (in other words, the 'last update' row/column etc. go automatic)?

I used firebug to make the example page, which went pretty easy -> easy to make static webpage. Only problem is that the current maps website has the table data different, so simple copy/paste won't work, you need to copy search for this-that and than paste. Automating this would be great...

It would be nice if we could agree on row naming first.

I was thinking (and currently have in example) this:
- image (50x50px)
- maps (name-with-download-link-or-topic + description)
- size
- creator
- create date
- last update
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

I made a static page with new looks. I got a bit lazy and used old layout. So, name map, preview, size, description, creator and create date.

Check it out:
index.zip
(11.46 KiB) Downloaded 745 times
The html page is linked (images and stuff) with full http address, perhaps not necessary for final release.

In the code at the top is a small extra css part. This makes the content table 900px and centered, you can comment that out/remove it if you don't want that. :)
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

That's cool. I will try to make a program that automatically converts the tables to the new code and make it more dynamic. It's low priority though, I want to work on GH first.

I uploaded your page to: http://gtamp.com/maps/

I'd like the new one to fill wide resolutions better and have a size 12 font.
BenMillard
Immortal
GH nick: BenMillard

Post by BenMillard »

In the HTML, change this:

Code: Select all

<style type="text/css">
#wrapcentre {
  width: 900px ;
  margin-left: auto ;
  margin-right: auto ;
}
</style>
To this:

Code: Select all

<style type="text/css">
#wrapcentre {
  margin: 0 auto;
  padding:0 25px 15px;
}
</style>
This aligns the content area with the header stuff and makes it adapt to the width of your browser.
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

Looks better for me since I run in 1280 wide but would be hard to read at 1600. TM didn't like it.
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

You can change the 900px to 1280 (or 1200), if you like that more.
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

People with very wide browsers will obviously get very wide pages. If they don't want very wide pages, they can easily make their browser the width they do want. Then eBay and forums and so on will be a nice size for them.

Like, duh. :/

As the page has so many columns, even at 1600 the line lengths are OK. Line lengths are quite individual, too, so artificial limits shouldn't be placed on them.

Text size should be 12px - this isn't 1998, when a pixel was about the size of a horse.

(EDIT) The previous maps list was full-width for years with 16px text.

(EDIT2) The use of "k" for filesize is wrong; should be "kB".
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

It would get annoying resizing your browser for different pages. I set a max width now.
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

If you don't want wide pages, you won't have to keep changing your browser. Set it to the size you want and leave it. Exactly like maximising it on a standard size screen. There's a few good studies into this; only total n00bs leave their browser maximised all the time on super-wide screens. Most size them down to a between 1000px and 1300px wide.

People with big screens should learn how to use them effectively. If they aren't bothered enough by wide pages to click "Restore" and then drag the edge, it clearly isn't a big deal.

Setting a maximum width means people who want long, fast lines of text and spacious layouts can't have them. By removing this choice, it reduces usability and comfort rather than increasing them.

Also, with High DPI screens becoming ever-more common, setting limits in absolute numbers of pixels isn't future-proof. An HD widescreen laptop screen may have pixels barely half the size of a 1024x768 domestic PC monitor, with the user applying a large-than-default text size to make sites legible.
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

I have a 1680x1050 screen, I'm not going to resize my firefox each time I visit a new website, that's way too much work. I think websites should adjust to the users, not the way around. :)

I just noticed the links in the CSS are broken (so no background images like at the top bar), you moved the (forum) CSS in the maps folder. If you want it that way, it's better to replace all the "dynamic" links with static ones.

So this:

./images/background.gif

becomes this:

http://gtamp.com/forum/styles/subsilver ... ground.gif

or you simply copy-paste the whole images folder also into the "maps" folder. (or only the used images)
Last edited by Cuban-Pete on 08 Sep 2010, 17:15, edited 1 time in total.
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

Sektor wrote:It would get annoying resizing your browser for different pages. How can I make it only fill the screen if the resolution is less than 1280? I want a max width but not a forced width.
I think by setting this:

max-width: 80%

or something like that percentage.
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

Fixed the css image links.
BenMillard
Immortal

Post by BenMillard »

Cuban-Pete wrote:I think websites should adjust to the users, not the way around. :)
Yes! That's exactly what happens when you avoid arbitrary pixel-based limits on sizing. The website matches the user's choice of browser width.

Most websites follow similar proportions, so it's not at all a case of resizing for every site you visit.

Sigh...
Cuban-Pete
Immortal

Post by Cuban-Pete »

I have created a little search function with javascript. This is how it works:

If a user does not have a map, GH will tell it to download it by giving a link. This link can now be (example):
in the new page I made is javascript added that when it reads 'map=' in the url, it will use the browsers search function to go to the first instance of 'Bonus Race'. I like how it works. :) Only problem is when you search industrial or mini, it will get the text and not the map industrial or mini. :roll:

I added the javascript code to the html here:
GTAMP Maps (with Search v1).zip
(12.47 KiB) Downloaded 734 times

As bonus I also added a highlight effect when you hover over a table's row/line. This is just a little visual interaction I think is nice. If you don't like it, you can easily remove that by deleting the CSS code of ".row1:hover" from the HTML.
Sektor
Boss
Boss

Post by Sektor »

Interesting feature.